[soc.culture.indian] Gandhiji's birthday.

raja@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu (10/01/86)

Oct 2nd , Gandhiji's birthday. On this day, let's mentally place
ourselves beside Gandhiji's samadhi and pledge the following :

1. We shall not post agonizingly long notes (which most of the people
   skip thru) and waste the disk space , network bandwidth and peoples'
   time.

2. We shall not indulge in meaningless discussions (like 'India and
   corruption')

3. We shall not post personel announcements (especially, 'IIT such-and-such
   class of...' postings)

4. We shall not crib about conditions in India after coming back from a
   vacation.

and finally,

5. We shall not post responses criticizing this note .

kp@smu (10/02/86)

      I think Gandhi's birthday is better observed if we can meditate
on some of his quotes, like:

      (a) The poor of the world cannot be helped by mass production,
          but only by production by the masses.

      (b) Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,
          but not for every man's greed.

      (c) Every machine that helps every individual has a place,
          but there should be no place for machines that
          concentrate power in a few hands.

                                                -kp-
                                         Dept. of Comp. Sci., SMU

ramesh@oliveb.UUCP (Ramesh Dimbum) (10/03/86)

In article <141700100@uiucdcsb> raja@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Oct 2nd , Gandhiji's birthday. On this day, let's mentally place
>ourselves beside Gandhiji's samadhi and pledge the following :
>
>4. We shall not crib about conditions in India after coming back from a
>   vacation.
>
>and finally,
>
>5. We shall not post responses criticizing this note .

About #5 - I don't give a damn.

Could please tell me why soc.culture.indian exists, if we cannot do the things
you mentioned.  I agree with your point #1 and point #4 and not the rest of the
stuff, because I think they should be done as it is a social activity.

Maybe you don't like the posting about IIT because you din't study there,
neither did I - but I don't care because I feel this is the only way they
can contact there friends around the U.S.

And finally please don't bring Gandhiji into these things - he had nothing to
do with this.

RSD.

* Do not take life too seriously; you will never get out of it alive. *