[soc.culture.indian] Some comments on "news"

sanjiva@sbstaff2.UUCP (Sanjiva Parsad) (09/25/86)

I'm not sure of the reasons that prompt me to post this message, but there
are certain aspects of several postings that have troubled me.

First of all I'd like to thank Kapur, Manohar, Mohan, Balaji and the other
guys for the excellent job they've been doing of compiling news reports
and digests. I'd also like to thank Bajwa for a couple of very thought -
provoking postings, though I'd like to make some critical comments on them.

First, I must clarify that I view this medium as (i) a means of dispersing
information of common interest to all netters (ii) a medium which can support
a meaningful discussion on these topics (iii) a medium to generate enthusiasm
for constructive action with the general goal of improving the state of affairs
in India, and of Indians all over the world. (iv) (and not any less important)
as a means of entertainment --  guys like Dilip have catered to this a great
deal. I'd like to see much more of this stuff flying around on the net.

(That was suggestion 1). Suggestion 2 : With the word "news", I for some
strange reasons, associate a compilation of facts about recent incidents. I
somehow don't associate the opinions of the likes of Kuldip Nayyar (pl. note
the spelling) -- I'm sorry if this is too ad hominem, but I *do* find it
difficult to take what he writes seriously, given his track record : knowing
exactly what the thoughts of a person who'd be loth to speak to him are !
Moreover, there are *better* writers of both fiction and fact. All the
same, I *do* want to see what he and others written, since it provides fodder
for (ii) [and (iv)]. So my proposal is : take editorials out of news digests
and have, instead, an editorial/opinions forum digest. ( Can we count the
Aye-yaars and the Nay-yaars ? )

Suggestion 3 : A review forum of modern Indian literature and
cultural events -- where postings will consist of reviews and further
discussions on books and cultural events. I'm ready to volunteer to
be a moderator for collecting reviews ( they must be complete reviews, not
a bunch of random thoughts appended to a message ) of Indian literature
after January 1987, and if there is demand, will text-format them and
make them available to interested people, at a price that covers the costs
of Xeroxing and mailing. Any interested people, please get in touch with me.

While I'm at it, let me throw in some food for discussion -- I read in ToI
that there was a debate in parliament about communal practices in official
ceremonies. What was intriguing to me was the argument of a communist party MP
that the lamp-lighting ceremony was communal since it was part of the Hindu
religion ? I've heard this c**p from several leftist friends, and have been
worried that while accusing all of us of being Westernised, they are so-o
willing to flush away millenia of rich cultural traditions...

(My q: Is it a Hindu religious ritual or part of our greater cultural
identities and ethos as Indians ? )

Well, consider this argument : Communism has all the trappings of a religion
-- a morality, a "holy" book, "holy" men/ prophets, an official "church" --
( now many schisms too ! ), a mythology ( yes ! ), its set of rituals, a creed
and a vocubalary (anything more ? ).
One of the Communist rituals is clapping while welcoming
visitors, and to signal approval -- okay, them we should *ban* clapping at
official ceremonies !!!!!

Got to go now,

Sanjiva

(sanjiva%tesla%suny-sb@csnet-relay.arpa)

ams@briar.UUCP (Ali Shaik) (09/29/86)

In article <122@sbstaff2.UUCP>, sanjiva@sbstaff2.UUCP (Sanjiva Parsad) writes:

> that the lamp-lighting ceremony was communal since it was part of the Hindu
> religion ? I've heard this c**p from several leftist friends, and have been
>
> (My q: Is it a Hindu religious ritual or part of our greater cultural
> identities and ethos as Indians ? )

It's not a part of *my* cultural identity, and I suspect not part of many
other Indians'. Note that I subscribe to this view, while being neither
leftist nor religious. Lamp lighting would serve to alienate some Indians,
and it has nothing to do with activities like launching satellites,etc.

Ali Shaik  ihnp4!philabs!ams

ams@briar.UUCP (Ali Shaik) (10/03/86)

Cross posting from net.nlang..