[soc.culture.indian] World record

dilip@milano.UUCP (09/17/86)

This morning's Austin American Statesman tells of the latest
world record to be captured by an Indian, one that we can be
truly proud of. A certain 54 year old Indian, a E Jayaraman,
has talked continuously for 165 hours. Large, cheering crowds
urged him on in his quest to break this mighty record. The
country of the previous record holder? Sri Lanka. Mr Jayaraman
discoursed on subjects as varied as politics and economics
and also found the energy to relate film stories (all of which
began with two brothers who are separated in the circus when
they are tots, no doubt).

Oh, how good it feels to be Indian today!

regards,
dilip.
--

Dilip D'Souza                         MCC Software Technology, Austin.
dilip@mcc.COM

vallury@dartvax.UUCP (Vallury Prabhakar) (09/23/86)

In article <2367@milano.UUCP> dilip@milano.UUCP writes:
>This morning's Austin American Statesman tells of the latest
>world record to be captured by an Indian, one that we can be
>truly proud of. A certain 54 year old Indian, a E Jayaraman,

Wank, wank, wank ad nauseating....

>Oh, how good it feels to be Indian today!

	Oh gee.  I dunno.  Wow, I mean like this is a capital trip, right
Dilip ??  I shudder to imagine how I could've survived for the rest of my
life in happiness and peace of mind, if someone in general, and Mr. E.
Jayaraman, (god bless his soul) wouldn't have undertaken this noble and
highly risk-prone task of yakking for such a long time.  I really don't know
how I could've survived.

	Christ, gimme a break here, guy.  If you feel proud that you're an
Indian 'cuz some old man set a world record in yakking for the longest
period of time, someone needs help and it definitely isn't me. Grow up,
kiddo.

raghu@ut-sally.UUCP (Raghu Ramakrishnan) (09/24/86)

>>Oh, how good it feels to be Indian today!
	  - (Dilip D'Souza)

>	Christ, gimme a break here, guy.  If you feel proud that you're an
>Indian 'cuz some old man set a world record in yakking for the longest
>period of time, someone needs help and it definitely isn't me. Grow up,
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Au contraire!
>kiddo.
          - (Vallury Prabhakar)

Further evidence that sarcasm, satire, and other subtle species of
humor are lost on this net.

- raghu

dilip@milano.UUCP (09/24/86)

In article <5186@dartvax.UUCP>, vallury@dartvax.UUCP (Vallury Prabhakar) writes:

> 	Christ, gimme a break here, guy.  If you feel proud that you're an
> Indian 'cuz some old man set a world record in yakking for the longest
> period of time, someone needs help and it definitely isn't me. Grow up,
> kiddo.

Dear Mr Prabhakar,

This is to offer to you my sincerest apologies and further, my humble
thanks. I apologize: I have not grown up in all these years, and my
lack of maturity, so evident to you, ashames me. Ever since I read
that news item, my life has been fuller and richer and I have been
filled with a deep sense of pride over Mr Jayaraman's achievement.
I have been spending my days in a state of awestruck dumbfoundedness
(my various friends, none of whom were kind enough to point out my
misguided folly, will vouch for this).

Your response suddenly showed me how truly shallow and empty this
pride I was feeling really was. I thank you, Mr Prabhakar. I thank
you from the bottom of my heart.

Humbly yours,
Dilip.

--

yenigall@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Yenigalla) (09/28/86)

In article <5792@ut-sally.UUCP>, raghu@ut-sally.UUCP (Raghu Ramakrishnan) writes:
> >>Oh, how good it feels to be Indian today!
> 	  - (Dilip D'Souza)
> >	Christ, gimme a break here, guy.  If you feel proud that you're an
> >Indian 'cuz some old man set a world record in yakking for the longest
> >period of time, someone needs help and it definitely isn't me. Grow up,
>                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Au contraire!
> >kiddo.
>           - (Vallury Prabhakar)
> Further evidence that sarcasm, satire, and other subtle species of
> humor are lost on this net.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> - raghu

It is not only the subtle humor that is lost on this net but also
the worst slang that one can read on a decent net like soc.culture.indian !!
I guess this is one instance of the sideffects of *CULTURE SHOCK* !.

...prasad

arora@sunybcs.UUCP (Kulbir Arora) (09/29/86)

>>> Further evidence that sarcasm, satire, and other subtle species of
>>> humor are lost on this net.                      ^^^^^^

>>> - raghu

 Only subtle humor is lost on this net ?
 You're too kind, Raghu !

vallury@dartvax.UUCP (Vallury Prabhakar) (10/01/86)

In article <369@vu-vlsi.UUCP> yenigall@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Yenigalla) writes:

>> Further evidence that sarcasm, satire, and other subtle species of
>> humor are lost on this net.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	Oh dear !  We seem to have a born joker here don't we ??  Or should
I say a natural clown.  *mumble*.

>It is not only the subtle humor that is lost on this net but also
>the worst slang that one can read on a decent net like soc.culture.indian !!
>I guess this is one instance of the sideffects of *CULTURE SHOCK* !

	Hmm.  Decent net you say ?? Excuse me, while I smile in amused
incredulity.  A net that comprises mostly of articles which are either
incredibly atavistic, or puerile in nature, or just downright (matter-wise)
boring or in most cases all three, cannot, repeat *cannot* be called decent
by any stretch of imagination.

	Oh I know, I know.  I'm going to be accused of being a traitor now
to the great motherland of ours (shot at dawn ??).  But the fact still
remains that this net has, for me the dubious reputation of taking the cake
of mediocrity, so there.

	One thing though.  Few, but a very few articles are very good, and
the above comments does not apply to those who posted them.  The people I'm
talking about know this, for we keep in touch by email.

	As for the rest of you, my sympathies lie with you.  God bless.
And my apologies for being a victim of the culture shock, that you can so
proudly claim to have transcended.  Hope you enjoy sticking to your good
old Bharatiya habits.  I'm sure you'll understnad if I sit this one out.

							-vp-

reddy@ctnews.UUCP (10/03/86)

In article <5215@dartvax.UUCP>, vallury@dartvax.UUCP (Vallury Prabhakar) writes:
> >> Further evidence that sarcasm, satire, and other subtle species of
> >> humor are lost on this net.
> >^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> 	Oh dear !  We seem to have a born joker here don't we ??  Or should
> I say a natural clown.  *mumble*.

     Let's face it! You shot yourself in the foot that time with that stupid
posting of yours.

> 	Oh I know, I know.  I'm going to be accused of being a traitor now
> to the great motherland of ours (shot at dawn ??).

     You said it, no one else did.

> 	One thing though.  Few, but a very few articles are very good, and
> the above comments does not apply to those who posted them.  The people I'm
> talking about know this, for we keep in touch by email.

I happen to think that, by and large, the discussions here are quite intell-
igent (despite my articles), witty (even though wit and sarcasm is lost on
people like you) and, thankfully, devoid of exhibitions of prowess in the
language (or mutation thereof) until someone like you comes along.

> 	As for the rest of you, my sympathies lie with you.  God bless.

My my, we are being incredibly patronizing, aren't we? By the by, don't
stop writing to this newsgroup. I love a laugh once in a while.

sriram@im4u.UUCP (Ramachandran Sriram) (10/05/86)

In article <5215@dartvax.UUCP   >, vallury@dartvax.UUCP (Vallury Prabhakar) writes:
   >    >
   > 	Hmm.  Decent net you say ?? Excuse me, while I smile in amused
	      ^^^^^^^
   > incredulity.  A net that comprises mostly of articles which are either
   > incredibly atavistic, or puerile in nature, or just downright (matter-wise)
	     ^^^^^^^^^^    ^^^^^^^
   > boring or in most cases all three, cannot, repeat *cannot* be called decent
   > by any stretch of imagination.

Postings  like yours make up for all the "atavism", "puerility" and lack of
HUMOUR on this otherwise "indecent" net.

   > 	One thing though.  Few, but a very few articles are very good, and
   > the above comments does not apply to those who posted them.  The people I'm
   > talking about know this, for we keep in touch by email.
   >
   > And my apologies for being a victim of the culture shock, that you can so
   > proudly claim to have transcended.  Hope you enjoy sticking to your good
   > old Bharatiya habits.  I'm sure you'll understnad if I sit this one out.
					 ^^^^^^^^^^^^

No !! I certainly dont "understnad".  By the way, have you figured out
why you read this net at all .
Do send me email and admit me to your elite  email club. Who knows , it might
even help me get rid of my "Bharatiya habits".

				    Thanks (in advance ),
				    sriram -

ps: For the benefit of other "illiterate" people like me -

"Atavistic" -  reverting to or suggesting the characteristics of a remote
               ancestor or a primitive of earlier type.

"Puerility" -    childishly foolish, juvenile .

(for other information - send email to "you know who" and join THE CLUB !!)