[soc.culture.indian] Questions Most Often Asked

sanjiva@sbstaff2.UUCP (Sanjiva Prasad) (10/03/86)

> Meet any Indian, and if you also happen to be one, here are the questions
> you'll be asked:
>
> 	(1) Where are you from?
> 	(2) What's your visa status?
> 	(3) You mean you *don't* like "Three's Company"?!
> 	(4) How much do you make?
> 	(5) Can one convert from PAL to NTSC (ie, RS170) and put it
> 	    back on the same tape.
>
> Ali Shaik     ihnp4!philabs!ams

Thanks for the list !!!
Of course, if you are a student (4) gets amended to
(4a) Which univ. are you at ? Or rather, to put it Indian style ( asked in
a crescendo culminating somewhere in the 15KHz region ) :
"Where you are studying ?"
(4b) "Are you in Computers ? " ( Yes, I'm trapped in this VAX )
(4bi) " I bought this PC but it doesn't work. Can you .... ?"
(4bii) " Do you know <alpha> ? (S)He, too, is in computers ..."
(4c) "How much support you get ?"

But the most ridiculous situation I've been in ( this was in India ) was
when I was introduced to this guy by my friend and his first few questions
(in order) (asked within 5 minutes of meeting me, and despite my what-ought-to-
have-discouged-him-ly terse answers) were :
Where are you studying now ?
Where do you live ?
What does you father do ?
( No, he didn't ask me how much he made !!!!)
Do you want to go abroad for further studies ?
Where do you have ancestral property ?

Tough act to top, right ?

Sanjiva

harish@ece-csc.UUCP (H. P. Hiriyann) (10/03/86)

Mr.Ali Shaik,
              Please send me mail as soon as you settle down. |-)

Harish Hiriyannaiah.       decvax!mcnc!ece-csc!harish

PS: I am from Bangalore too, and might know some of your " class of '71 " !

ams@briar.UUCP (Ali Shaik) (10/03/86)

Meet any Indian, and if you also happen to be one, here are the questions
you'll be asked:

	(1) Where are you from?
	(2) What's your visa status?
	(3) You mean you *don't* like "Three's Company"?!
	(4) How much do you make?
	(5) Can one convert from PAL to NTSC (ie, RS170) and put it
	    back on the same tape.

Ali Shaik     ihnp4!philabs!ams

PS: Marian Primary And Midle School, Vasanthanagar, Bangalore,
    Class of '71 (especially the girls): as soon as you settle down,
    send me some mail.

kapil@dartvax.UUCP (Kapil Khetan) (10/06/86)

In article <3108@ece-csc.UUCP> harish@ece-csc.UUCP (H. P. Hiriyann) writes:
>              Please send me mail as soon as you settle down. |-)
>
>Harish Hiriyannaiah.       decvax!mcnc!ece-csc!harish
>
>PS: I am from Bangalore too, and might know some of your " class of '71 " !

Hey!  personal mail DOES NOT have to go through USENET.
                    --------
Try using the 'r' or 'R' key instead of 'f'.

Kapil
USPS:  Chemical Bank, 55 Water St. #1122, New York, NY 10041  (office)
       124 Lincoln Pl., Brooklyn, NY 11217                    (res.)
VOICE: 212.820.4294 (office) or 718.789.1583 (residence)
DATA:  kapil@dartvax.UUCP or  kapil@dartmouth.edu

"The market will fluctuate." -- JP Morgan

Disclaimer--The mangement at Chemical hasn't heard of USENET and is
	    certainly not responsible for what I key.

raja@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu (10/08/86)

>/* Written 12:25 pm  Oct  3, 1986 by harish@ece-csc.UUCP in uiucdcsb:net.nlang.india */
>/* ---------- "Re: Questions Most Often Asked" ---------- */
>Mr.Ali Shaik,
              Please send me mail as soon as you settle down. |-)

>Harish Hiriyannaiah.       decvax!mcnc!ece-csc!harish

>PS: I am from Bangalore too, and might know some of your " class of '71 " !
>/* End of text from uiucdcsb:net.nlang.india */

Didn't you take the pledge on Oct 2? It is not too late even now.
Do it.