[soc.culture.indian] Constructive Suggestions to Improve India

kumar@sfsup.UUCP (M.Kumar) (10/15/86)

> ....................  Instead of trying to keep people away from the big
> cites, why not try to lure them to new ones?
>
> 2. Starting from scratch we could build something really good.  Good
> transportation, good communication, good adminstration, good housing, and
> good education.

  You talk about luring people to new cities (presumably to find work).
  You also suggest "building new cities around the big 4".
  But there seems to be a little hitch here; who is going to invest big
  money into these cities? We are talking really big bucks here if we
  are going to start industries to lure away people migrating into the
  big cities.

  And how long is all this going to take?

  In a land where a vast majority of people are uneducated, their main
  concern is finding a job to feeding their families. I don't think
  they are going to wait until the new cities are built.

  Another problem is regarding politicians who make decisions only if
  it is their own interests. In a country where most major industries
  are government owned, how much is the government for the idea of
  "building new cities" or even allowing capable people to invest in
  them without lining their own pockets.

  I remember when the Govt. in Tamilnadu wanted to move the capital
  from Madras to Madurai and the opposition the idea was met with
  both from the public and the opposition party.

  My point is that in a vastly "government owned economy" (pardon the
  loose definition), such an idea is going to be very difficult.

  Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm all for making a better India ( I come
  from Madras and know only too well its problems) and I think your
  ideas are for the country's best interests, but I do think
  that these ideas are going to be difficult to implement.

mohan@pipe.WISC.EDU (Mosur K. Mohan) (10/15/86)

In article <1013@cive.ri.cmu.edu> jsingh@cive.ri.cmu.edu (J S Singh) writes:
>....  I apologize in advance if they seem too grandiose.

Grandiose?  Goody, I LOVE grandiose.  But come now, you barely scratch
at the surface of what REAL grandiose should be.  Try this scenario now...

In the year 2001, when the myths of sci fi fall to the bitter test of time,
all of us Indians in the US just up and leave for home.  Naturally, we have
our cosy and comfy little bungalows, awaiting us back home in Gummidipundi
or Ramrajatolla or wherever.  But do we sit back and enjoy our flourishing
careers publishing research papers?  WRONG!  We all get together (one hopes
somebody would have established a net by then, so that this can be achieved
by straightforward application of the IITM-Class-of-86 algorithm) and form
a POLITICAL party.  Doggone!  How's that?

And that's not all.  We actually fight the election, yes, sir, and put young
Priyanka Gandhi out of business.  And THEN, we start doing all the things
we folks have been mulling over for lo these many moons.  Set up our N model
cities.  Change all "backward class" criteria to economic criteria.  Sentence
all politicians born before 1935 to a summary firing squad (wellllll, maybe
just bar them from politics for 25000 years).  Oh, what splendid fun!

Face it, gentle readers.  That's what we have to do if we are serious-- win
an election.  Maybe some day... (sigh)!

-- Mohan.

kumar@sfsup.UUCP (M.Kumar) (10/16/86)

> > ....................  Instead of trying to keep people away from the big
> > cites, why not try to lure them to new ones?
> >
> > 2. Starting from scratch we could build something really good.  Good
> > transportation, good communication, good adminstration, good housing, and
> > good education.

   You talk about luring people to new cities (presumably to find work).
   You also suggest "building new cities around the big 4".
   But there seems to be a little hitch here; who is going to invest big
   money into these cities? We are talking really big bucks here if we
   are going to start industries to lure away people migrating into the
   big cities.

   And how long is all this going to take?

   In a land where a vast majority of people are uneducated, their main
   concern is finding a job to feeding their families. I don't think
   they are going to wait until the new cities are built.

   Another problem is regarding politicians who make decisions only if
   it is their own interests. In a country where most major industries
   are government owned, how much is the government for the idea of
   "building new cities" or even allowing capable people to invest in
   them without lining their own pockets.

   I remember when the Govt. in Tamilnadu wanted to move the capital
   from Madras to Madurai and the opposition the idea was met with
   both from the public and the opposition party.

   My point is that in a vastly "government owned economy" (pardon the
   loose definition), such an idea is going to be very difficult.

   Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm all for a better India ( I come