[soc.culture.indian] Profound comments on God ;-)

biep@cs.vu.nl (J. A. "Biep" Durieux) (02/09/88)

In article <22271@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) writes:
 >You bring up several interesting and oft-debated philosophical points.  I
 >suggest you read some philosophy of science, since those guys have beaten
 >this subject to death.  Some obvious objections (I don't necessarily hold
 >these views, but I'd like to present them):

	(Empirical verifiability vs. objective verifiability,
	proof vs. corroboration, interpretation of experimental results,
	status of scientifical theories, deduction vs. induction vs. abduction,
	proof vs. explanation, definition of science, belief systems,
	religion vs. science, Kuhn's "scientific method")
 >And so on...

 >I agree with you that religion does NOT fall under our intuition as to what
 >a 'science' should be,  but I just wanted to make the perhaps-obvious point
 >that the argument isn't as simple as you and I would like it to be.

 >To go into  a philosophical discussion  about these issues  would take  too
 >long and probably doesn't belong in s.c.i. anyway.  If you're really inter-
 >ested,  you might try talk.philosophy  where you might get the true answers
 >from some real philosophers :-).

Wrong! This sort of discussion belongs in sci.philosophy.tech, a(n until now)
high-quality group  where one can be sure  to get  serious comments  on these
topics.
--
						Biep.  (biep@cs.vu.nl via mcvax)
	Relative ethics amounts to saying that the only mis-