[net.sf-lovers] Another memory-recording story

okie@ihuxi.UUCP (cobb) (03/30/85)

> From: jpa144@cit-vax (Jens Peter Alfke)
>
> There has been some discussion (started by "Brainstorm", a movie which I must
> confess I haven't seen) about recording/transmission of human thoughts, and
> about stories concerning the same...

I recall one housed in the collection "The Hugo Winners, Volume 3,"
whose title escapes me but which was written by James Tiptree, Jr.
It involves the use of one person's body/mind to animate another body.
The story takes place far enough in the future for near-instantaneous
communication to take place on a global scale.  However, advertising
is outlawed.  Major conglomerates get around this by finding people
to use as animators -- ugly, down-and-out people like the protagonist
in the story.  They promise them a new life by training them to animate
'celebreties' which are given world-wide media exposure and advertise
without actually advertising.  In the case of our animator, though,
she forgets who she is and becomes her 'puppet.'  Interesting and a
bit chilling.

(I'll go home tonight and look up the title.  Check the net Monday
for further details!)

B.K. Cobb
ihnp4!ihuxi!okie