[net.sf-lovers] Ooops, I forgot...

brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) (03/15/85)

In an earlier submission about first novels and
another one about women writers, I somehow forgot
to mention Robin McKinley.  I don't know how I
managed.  Her first novel, BEAUTY, is outstanding
by any standards.  Her most recent novel, THE HERO
AND THE CROWN, won the Newberry Award, which it
richly deserved.  Everything she has written is
wonderful.  I still don't know how I could have
forgotten her.  Maybe because I don't think of
"women writers," I just think of "writers," and
her first novel in no way read like a first novel.

In any case, she is on my list of todays ten best
english language writers.  For those who are
interested, the total list (not really in order)
consists of: Roger Zelazny, Robin McKinley,
Robert B. Parker, Judith Martin (aka Miss Manners),
Pamela Dean, Will Shetterly, Jane Yolan, Gene Wolfe,
and John M. Ford.  I'm basing this mostly on ability
to use the language and consistancy.  The list is
also subject to change without notice, and, in any
case, is pretty meaningless.
			-- SKZB

wenn@cmu-cs-g.ARPA (John Wenn) (03/22/85)

> In any case, she is on my list of todays ten best english language Writers.
> For those who are interested, the total list (not really in order) consists
> of: Roger Zelazny, Robin McKinley, Robert B. Parker, Judith Martin (aka Miss
> Manners), Pamela Dean, Will Shetterly, Jane Yolan, Gene Wolfe, and John M.
> Ford.
>            -- Steven Brust

I agree with your opinion with those people I've read (Zelazny, Yolan &
Wolfe).  I'm running right out to look at all those others!  But I must
protest a serious omission: John Crowley.  He has done some great stuff,
"Little, Big" in particular.  Orson Scott Card is also at least an honorable
mention.  Good stuff!

--John Wenn

brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) (03/26/85)

> > In any case, she is on my list of todays ten best english language Writers.
> > For those who are interested, the total list (not really in order) consists
> > of: Roger Zelazny, Robin McKinley, Robert B. Parker, Judith Martin (aka Miss
> > Manners), Pamela Dean, Will Shetterly, Jane Yolan, Gene Wolfe, and John M.
> > Ford.
> >            -- Steven Brust
>
> I agree with your opinion with those people I've read (Zelazny, Yolan &
> Wolfe).  I'm running right out to look at all those others!  But I must
> protest a serious omission: John Crowley.  He has done some great stuff,
> "Little, Big" in particular.  Orson Scott Card is also at least an honorable
> mention.  Good stuff!
>
> --John Wenn

I agree completely that Card gets an honerable mention.  Crowley was a
deliberate omission--but a difficult one.  "Little, Big" is an outstanding
book.  If only Crowley were the littlest bit more accessable OR more
consistant.  That is the same reason I didn't (quite) put Delany on the
list.  Both of these writers are outstanding, however.

brian@digi-g.UUCP (Brian Westley) (03/27/85)

<urp!>

In article <149@hyper.UUCP> brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) writes:
> For those who are interested, [my ten best english writers list includes]
> ..., Judith Martin (aka Miss Manners),...

(gag! urp!)

C'mon, Steve!  Miss Manners?!  With her cloying "Gentle Reader" and referring
to herself in the third person ("Miss Manners hates it when people throw
up at cocktail parties and rush off to the hospital without even saying
'Excuse me, I must go; I've regurgitated my liver'").  Her writing style
makes me want to squeeze her head in a pneumatic press until she screams
"STOP! STOP! STOP!" just so I can admonish her with a "SAY PLEEEEEASE!!"

My ten best list of Arabic digits (in no particular order): 9472018653

Merlyn Leroy
"...a dimension between stupidity and substance, between science and
superficiality, a place we call...The Usenet Zone"

brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) (03/27/85)

> <urp!>
>
> In article <149@hyper.UUCP> brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) writes:
> > For those who are interested, [my ten best english writers list includes]
> > ..., Judith Martin (aka Miss Manners),...
>
> (gag! urp!)
>
> C'mon, Steve!  Miss Manners?!  With her cloying "Gentle Reader" and referring
> to herself in the third person ("Miss Manners hates it when people throw
> up at cocktail parties and rush off to the hospital without even saying
> 'Excuse me, I must go; I've regurgitated my liver'").  Her writing style
> makes me want to squeeze her head in a pneumatic press until she screams
> "STOP! STOP! STOP!" just so I can admonish her with a "SAY PLEEEEEASE!!"

There, there.  Put your head on Mister Writer's shoulder and he'll
hold you until you're done.  There.  Feel better?  Now let Mister
Writer explain why he so adores dear Miss Manners.

Mister Writer appreciates the time you are taking to respond to this
rather delicate issue, but wonders if you have, in fact, taken the
time to read carefully.  Mister Writer finds Miss Manners style a
pure delight, and is saddened that there aren't more readers
who appreciate complete mastery of the language blended with a
gently ironic touch of nineteenth century Romanticism.

			-- SKZB

tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) (03/30/85)

I agree with Brust about Miss Manners.  She is an excellent writer.  More,
she understands that "manners" are not a matter of adhering to some societal
rule-book, but simply being nice to people.

I particularly liked her response to the correspondent who asked what to say
on being introduced to a homosexual couple.  "How do you do.  How do you do."
-=-
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University, Networking
ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K	uucp:	seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim
CompuServe:	74176,1360	audio:	shout "Hey, Tim!"

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (04/01/85)

> Mister Writer appreciates the time you are taking to respond to this
> rather delicate issue, but wonders if you have, in fact, taken the
> time to read carefully.  Mister Writer finds Miss Manners style a
> pure delight, and is saddened that there aren't more readers
> who appreciate complete mastery of the language blended with a
> gently ironic touch of nineteenth century Romanticism.
>
> 			-- SKZB

	Miss Manners tries very hard (and sometimes succeeds) to sound
like that paragon among writers, that angel of the language, that
model of perfection, Jane Austen.

	(Janeites unite !)
--

jcpatilla

"'Get stuffed !', the Harlequin replied ..."

brian@digi-g.UUCP (Merlyn Leroy) (04/01/85)

<we are not amused>

Gee, I thought pretentious pronouns went out with queen Vicky.  But then,
Miss Manners is trying to lead us back into the Victorian age, isn't she?
Any writer that prefers form over substance makes for very shallow reading.
However, in Miss Manners' case, this is not surprising, since she is so
preoccupied with Proper Etiquette (form), instead of rational behavior
(substance).

Now, if any of you think I'M preoccupied with rational behavior...

Miss Manners:	"Why, hello, Mister Rogers!"

Mister Rogers:	"Hi...would you like to be my friend?"

Miss Manners:	"Why certainly!  How do - ELBOWS OFF THE TABLE!" (thwak!)

Mister Rogers:	"Ow!  Can you say 'Fascist'?  I knew you could!"

Mister Potato Head:	"Has anybody seen my nose?"

Merlyn Leroy
"...a dimension between shallow and substance, between science and
superficial, a place we call...The Usenet Zone"