[soc.culture.celtic] grooving with a pict

drw@cullvax.UUCP (Dale Worley) (09/23/86)

> To whomever posted the question "what language was the man speaking
> in the song Several species of small furry animals gathered together
> in a cave and grooving with a pict ?"
>
> Both of my parents come from the British Isles and I have dealt
> with various relatives over the years (including a Welsh speaking
> grandfather) so I usually find I can understand most anything a
> heavily accented "britisher" says.  However, that voice is next
> to impossible to understand!!!  If you listen carefully, the last
> half of what he speaks is almost intelligable english, leading
> me to beleave that all that he says is in english, albeit not
> understandable.

Who recorded this?  Jethro Tull?  Pink Floyd?  Somebody my brother was
into.  Anyway, he claimed that it was speech recorded backward (or
slowed down, or speeded up), carefully spoken to sound like normal
English.

Dale

floyd@brl-smoke.ARPA (Floyd C. Wofford ) (09/23/86)

In article <565@mtunh.UUCP> ccj@mtunh.UUCP (Chris Jones) writes:
>To whomever posted the question "what language was the man speaking
>in the song Several species of small furry animals gathered together
>in a cave and grooving with a pict ?"

A pict or Pict is a Scottish soldier.  It is possible that the accent
might be some garbled Scotch.  I believe it is Roger Waters doing the
vocal.  That might explain the 'craziness' of the cut.  His mental
state and the influence of Sid (Syd?) Barrett have been discussed
elsewhere.  I have always thought that the last line of the monologue
was "... and the wind cries Mary."  That was the best reconstruction
I could make.  If so, then the entire monologue may be in English.  I
don't know why the line would be that.  The obvious guess would be Jimi
Hendrix, but....

floyd@brl.arpa

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel Rives) (09/25/86)

In article <351@cullvax.UUCP> drw@cullvax.UUCP (Dale Worley) writes:

>Who recorded this?  Jethro Tull?  Pink Floyd?  Somebody my brother was
>into.  Anyway, he claimed that it was speech recorded backward (or
>slowed down, or speeded up), carefully spoken to sound like normal
>English.
>
>Dale

The song you refer to is by Pink Floyd off their Umma Gumma album

--
                                               Joel Rives
                                               gatech!gitpyr!cc100jr

{ * }-------{ * }-------{ * }-------{ * }-------{ * }-------{ ^ }-------{ * }

              There is no place to seek the mind;
                It is like the footprints of the birds in the sky.

{ * }-------{ * }-------{ * }-------{ * }--------{ * }-------{ * }-------{ * }

lindsay@cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk (Lindsay F. Marshall) (09/25/86)

In article <4035@brl-smoke.ARPA> floyd@brl.arpa (Floyd C. Wofford (MMW) <floyd>) writes:
>A pict or Pict is a Scottish soldier.

Please tell me you are not serious when you say this!!!

	Pict, \fIpikt, n.\fR one of an ancient people of obscure
	affinities, in Britain, esp. north-eastern Scotland: in Scottish
	folklore, one of a dwarfish race of underground dwellers to whom
	(with the Romans, the druids, and Cromwell) ancient monuments are
	generally attributed: Steele's term for a painted woman.

>It is possible that the accent might be some garbled Scotch.
						      ^^^^^^

Eggs, whisky or mist only please. You mean Scots or Scottish, and yes I
DO know that Walter Scott used the term and that it was perfectly
acceptable in Victorian times. It is, however, no longer acceptable to
the majority of Scots.

Lindsay

ralph@ee.brunel.ac.uk (Ralph Mitchell) (09/29/86)

In article <4035@brl-smoke.ARPA> floyd@brl.arpa (Floyd C. Wofford (MMW) <floyd>) writes:
>In article <565@mtunh.UUCP> ccj@mtunh.UUCP (Chris Jones) writes:
>>To whomever posted the question "what language was the man speaking
>>in the song Several species of small furry animals gathered together
>>in a cave and grooving with a pict ?"
>
>A pict or Pict is a Scottish soldier.  It is possible that the accent
>might be some garbled Scotch.  I believe it is Roger Waters doing the
>vocal.  That might explain the 'craziness' of the cut.  His mental
>state and the influence of Sid (Syd?) Barrett have been discussed
>elsewhere.  I have always thought that the last line of the monologue
>was "... and the wind cries Mary."  That was the best reconstruction
>I could make.  If so, then the entire monologue may be in English.  I
>don't know why the line would be that.  The obvious guess would be Jimi
>Hendrix, but....
>
>floyd@brl.arpa

I haven't actually heard the song myself, but I'm told that it sounds
much the same when played at 33, 45, or 78 RPM.  I guess it's one sound
track played at three speeds and mixed onto the master.  I gather that
the words are mostly unintelligible, but include such phrases as "Och aye,
the noo"  :-)
Ralph Mitchell                 | VOICE: +44 895 74000 Ext 2561
Computer Centre                | ARPA:  ralph%ee.brunel.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa
Brunel University              | UUCP:  ...!mcvax!ukc!ee.brunel.ac.uk!ralph
Uxbridge                       | JANET: ralph@uk.ac.brunel.ee
UB8 3PH                        |
UNITED KINGDOM                 |     "Noli illegitemi carborundum"

normanh@idec.stc.co.uk (Norman Hilton) (10/04/86)

In article <1041@cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk> lindsay@cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk
  (Lindsay F. Marshall) writes:
>Eggs, whisky or mist only please. You mean Scots or Scottish, and yes I
>DO know that Walter Scott used the term and that it was perfectly
>acceptable in Victorian times. It is, however, no longer acceptable to
>the majority of Scots.

Not quite.

Chambers Twentieth Century Dictionary (1972) has:
	Scotch attorney		Scotch barley		Scotch bluebell
	Scotch bonnet		Scotch broth		Scotch cart
	Scotch collops		Scotch cuddy		Scotch curlies
	Scotch draper		Scotch egg		Scotch elm
	Scotch fiddle		Scotch fir		Scotch hand
	Scotch kale		Scotch mist		Scotch pebble
	Scotch rose		Scotch snap		Scotch tape
	Scotch terrier		Scotch thistle		Scotch verdict
	Scotch woodcock
and there is also
	Scotch love
I haven't seen the last one in a dictionary, but it is not at all rude
and I can define it if anyone is interested.

Chambers also has this definition of `Scot':
	Scot, skot, n. one of a Gaelic-speaking people of Ireland,
	  afterwards also in Argyllshire (hist.): (now) a Scotsman
	  or Scotswoman of any race or language.

Fowler (1965) says:
	Out of deference to the Scotsman's supposed dislike of
	"Scotch", that word has been falling into disuse in
	England also ...

I agree that the use of `Scotch' as an adjective meaning `Scots'
or `Scottish' is now frowned upon, but in the past it was quite
acceptable. I don't know the reason for this change and would
like to know it. I am enclined to blame the genteel people of
Edinburgh, but this is my personal predjudice and not based on
serious investigation.

I think that the dogmatic insistence on `Scots' is an affectation
and is as unpleasant as the unthinking use of `Scotch'.
Perhaps we should devote more of our time to correcting those
(expletives deleted) people who call us `English'.

BTW why are people trying to decipher Jethro Tull lyrics on
soc.culture.celtic? Surely the correct newsgroup is
net.lang.c :->

Regards,
	Norm
	====

david@comp.lancs.ac.uk (David T. Coffield) (10/04/86)

In article <718@argon.idec.stc.co.uk> normanh@idec.stc.co.uk (Norman Hilton) writes:
>Chambers Twentieth Century Dictionary (1972) has:
>	Scotch attorney		Scotch barley		Scotch bluebell
>	Scotch bonnet		Scotch broth		Scotch cart
>	Scotch collops		Scotch cuddy		Scotch curlies
>	Scotch draper		Scotch egg		Scotch elm
>	Scotch fiddle		Scotch fir		Scotch hand
>	Scotch kale		Scotch mist		Scotch pebble
>	Scotch rose		Scotch snap		Scotch tape
>	Scotch terrier		Scotch thistle		Scotch verdict
>	Scotch woodcock
>and there is also
>	Scotch love

I'd buy a new dictionary...

>Perhaps we should devote more of our time to correcting those
>(expletives deleted) people who call us `English'.

Welcome to the campaign.

	David.
--
uucp:   ...!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!david     post: Department of Computing
arpa:   david%lancs.comp@ucl.cs              University of Lancaster, UK

lindsay@cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk (Lindsay F. Marshall) (10/06/86)

In article <718@argon.idec.stc.co.uk> normanh@idec.stc.co.uk (Norman Hilton) writes:

>Not quite.

Pedant!! You know what I meant! A large number of the terms you give are
archaic and some are pretty obnoxious - my least favourite is "Scotch Snap"
(used to describe the dotted rhythm used in a lot of Scottish music,
particularly the strathspey).

BTW "scotch" is used in the NE of England to refer to beer brewed in the
Scottish "heavy" style rather than the English "bitter" style - you
often can sometimes see startled Southerners when some asks for a "pint
of scotch". (N.B. Note that US readers may interpret this completely
erroneously as referring to a bottle of whisky)

>I agree that the use of `Scotch' as an adjective meaning `Scots'
>or `Scottish' is now frowned upon, but in the past it was quite
>acceptable.

That's what I said - Chambers (1966 edition) describes "Scotch" as "being
disliked or resented by many Scotsmen".

>I am enclined to blame the genteel people of
>Edinburgh,

Guess where I'm from.......
>but this is my personal predjudice and not based on serious investigation.

Dreadful place is'nt it.

>Perhaps we should devote more of our time to correcting those
>(expletives deleted) people who call us `English'.

Agreed, but I still hate Scotch - particularly in the expression
"Scotchman"!

>BTW why are people trying to decipher Jethro Tull lyrics on
				       !#@%!%@#!%!

You jest surely. I havennt got Umma Gumma, but am reliably informed that
the voice is perfectly ordinary Scots mumblings of the "Och aye the noo"
and "Hey Jimmy" variety.

Lindsay

kgnewton@watrose.UUCP (K. Glen Newton) (10/08/86)

 Thank you Lindsay for that much needed clarification

                           ...fig...

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (10/09/86)

<1041@cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk> lindsay@same (Lindsay F. Marshall) writes:
><4035@brl-smoke.ARPA> floyd@brl.arpa (Floyd C. Wofford (MMW) <floyd>) writes:
>>A pict or Pict is a Scottish soldier.
>Please tell me you are not serious when you say this!!!
>	Pict, \fIpikt, n.\fR one of an ancient people of obscure[...]

I am curious.. I heard somewhere recently (sure wish I could remember where
I pick up these useless and generally inaccurate bits of information, I think
this time it was on National Public Radio) that about the only surviving bit
of "Pictish" is a list of the names of some half-dozen chiefs, known only
for their names. Is this another fable?

>>It is possible that the accent might be some garbled Scotch.

rissa@chinet.UUCP (Garret and Trish) (10/09/86)

While I am mildly interested in know what is scotch love, what I really
want to know is what are scotch curlies?  For that matter, is scotch
woodcock related to scotch love?

     Trisha
     O Tuama