[soc.culture.celtic] How to spell sgean dhu?

bill@sigma.UUCP (10/13/86)

In article <78@its63b.ed.ac.uk> csrdi@same (ECTU68 R Innis CS) writes:
>[...] And as
>for those who do call us English - anyone ever wondered why full highland
>dress includes a sgean dhu?	--Rick Innis

No, I use that line often..

BUT.. (for all you Gaelic scholars out there) how do you spell that?

I remember seeing:
	sgean/skean/sghean(?)/sgian/sghian/skian
and
	dhu/dhub/dubh/dhubh(once)
I'm less sure but may have seen:
	skene/skein(!)

(I hope to be learning Gaelic, if I can get the local teacher to get off
his duff and start teaching again!)
---
BIll Swan		sigma!bill

jmm@miro.Berkeley.EDU (James Moore) (10/15/86)

Modern Irish spelling is "scian dhubh."  I don't have a Scottish dictionary
handy, but I would guess their spelling is the same.  The use of "g" in place
of "c" seems to occur in a lot of different words, but mostly in older texts.

James Moore