[soc.culture.celtic] A bit more about Picts

csrdi@its63b.ed.ac.uk (ECTU68 R Innis CS) (10/10/86)

Floyd Offord says (in response to Chris Jone's query) :

>A pict or Pict is a Scottish soldier.

The Picts (or picts) were actually the inhabitants of much of what is now
Scotland in the first millenia AD (and some time before that). They became
incorporated into the Scottish nation after Kenneth MacAlpine became king of
both the Picts and the Scots (who came over from Ireland in about the fifth
century AD), and subsequently seem to have been assimilated by the Scots and
the Saxons from the lowlands. At least, that's what I remember from my history
books.

He goes on to say:

>It is possible that the accent might be some garbled Scotch.

Firstly, Scotch is a *drink*. (The best in the world). The language, people
accent and culture are *Scots* or *Scottish*. Remember that the next time you
visit this country (or meet someone from it).

Secondly, yes, the accent is Scots.  I've got a transcript of most of the
second part of the monologue (starting "And then, great Marion took up
wi' a claymore...") and will send them to anyone who's that desperate to
know.

Thirdly, although the song may mention picts in the title and have a crazed
monologue in a Scots accent, is Soc.culture.celtic really the place to discuss
Pink Floyd lyrics? Apart from the fact that they were Sassenachs anyway, I'd
have thought this would be a better forum for questions about seriously Celtic
matters, if anyone can believe in such in this day and age. :-)

As for the discussions about whether insisting on Scots (or Scottish) is
preferable to Scotch, surely that belongs under net.poloitics.scotnat? And as
for those who do call us English - anyone ever wondered why full highland
dress includes a sgean dhu?

	--Rick Innis

simon@einode.UUCP (Simon Kenyon) (10/13/86)

> Firstly, Scotch is a *drink*. (The best in the world). The language, people
surely you jest :-)
(a lot of blends use irish whiskey as one of the ingredients)
--
Simon Kenyon
EUnet: simon@einode.UUCP

lindsay@cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk (Lindsay F. Marshall) (10/14/86)

In article <182@einode.UUCP> simon@einode.UUCP (Simon Kenyon) writes:
>(a lot of blends use irish whiskey as one of the ingredients)

You'll have to elucidate this one, Simon! Some of the blends may well
use grain spirit that is produced in Ireland, but I dont think thay
would get away with using any Irish Malt components.

Who drinks blends anyway???

Lindsay

normanh@idec.stc.co.uk (Norman Hilton) (10/15/86)

In article <182@einode.UUCP> simon@einode.UUCP (Simon Kenyon) writes:
>> Firstly, Scotch is a *drink*. (The best in the world). The language, people
>surely you jest :-)
>(a lot of blends use irish whiskey as one of the ingredients)

This was not true in the past.
The Customs and Excise Act of 1952 defines Scotch whisky and apparently
says "... obtained by distillation in Scotland ..."
The Report of the Royal Commission on Whiskey and other Potable Spirits
in 1909 also defines Scotch and Irish whiskeys similarly.

It seems that lesser drinks can contain Scotch or Irish whisk[e]y
but cannot call themselves Scotch or Irish whisk[e]y.

I personally find some Irish whiskey and some blended Scotch
quite acceptable (and some malt whisky not so acceptable).
Whisk[e]y drinkers should be guided by their own palates
not by rules and jingoism.

Regards,
	Norm
	====