[net.sf-lovers] Spinrad's "Riding the Torch"

@RUTGERS.ARPA:jo@SCRC-QUABBIN.ARPA (04/02/85)

From: Jonathan Ostrowsky <jo@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA>

From #110:

    From: ahutb!leeper@topaz.arpa (m.r.leeper)
    Subject: New edition of RIDING THE TORCH
    Date: 27 Mar 85 17:49:14 GMT

		     RIDING THE TORCH by Norman Spinrad
			   Bluejay, 1985, $6.95.
		      A book review by Mark R. Leeper
	 Hoy Cow!  I just got my hands on a new Bluejay book.  The book
    is Norman Spinrad's RIDING THE TORCH.  It goes for $6.95.  The story
    is 144 pages long, padded out with MUCHO blank pages and internal
    illustrations.  There probably are no more than 100 pages of
    story....

This novella earlier appeared as part of a three-story anthology
("Threads of Time," published about ten years ago) and as half of a Dell
double (maybe five years ago, probably during Jim Frenkel's tenure at
Dell).  (Jayembee can no doubt supply details.)  I haven't seen the
Blujay edition, but Mark is right -- this shouldn't be marketed as a
novel.

	 Now I may not be the world's best person to review the story
    itself....

I won't disagree.

    Spinrad is heavily into writing style, and frankly, I
    prefer ideas....

I like both, and I wasn't disappointed in this story.  In fact, it's one
of my all-time favorites.

	 RIDING THE TORCH is probably NOT the best way a science fiction
    fan can spend $6.95.

As much as I've always loved RTT, I'd have to agree.  Find one of the
earlier versions.