[soc.culture.celtic] Exploding Haggis

bill@flash.UUCP (William Swan) (09/16/89)

In article <348@galadriel.bt.co.uk> pcf@galadriel.bt.co.uk (Pete French) writes:
}Actually food can explode in a uWave. I knew somebody who was doing a haggis
}for a dinner party - after 5 hours it was sitting in the saucepan in some
}horrible fatty water not looking very cooked so she decided to give it a
}quick turn in the old uWave. In it went and started cooking - about 1 minute
}later it suddenly shrunk to the size of a tennis ball (quite impressivce for
}a haggis) and then violently exploded leaving haggis entrails all over the
}uWave.
}
}This sounds more like the behaviour of a neutron star than an object of
}food. Anbody cot any ideas as to why it conracted before exploding ?

At a guess, what might have happened is that first the casing dried, which
then contracted. Then, with the casing dry, the wet interior mash heated to
create pressure against the now-harder and shrunken casing, until the casing
split, spewing the "haggis entrails".  :-)

(Anyone with a better guess, I'd entertain it... but I'll certainly take the
warning and *not* do a haggis in a microwave. :-)

--
Bill Swan  entropy.ms.washington.edu!sigma!bill  Send postal address for info:
	Innocent but in prison in Washington State for 13.5 years:

greg@uts.amdahl.com (Greg Bullough) (09/18/89)

In article <80@flash.UUCP> bill@flash.UUCP (William Swan) writes:
>In article <348@galadriel.bt.co.uk> pcf@galadriel.bt.co.uk (Pete French) writes:
>}a haggis) and then violently exploded leaving haggis entrails all over the
                                                ***************
>}uWave.
>}
>split, spewing the "haggis entrails".  :-)
                     ***************

Isn't this redundant?  :-)

Greg

iscad02@discg1.UUCP (lisa makosewski) (09/19/89)

In article <eazS02Y=57HS01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, greg@uts.amdahl.com (Greg Bullough) writes:
> In article <80@flash.UUCP> bill@flash.UUCP (William Swan) writes:
> >In article <348@galadriel.bt.co.uk> pcf@galadriel.bt.co.uk (Pete French) writes:
> >}a haggis) and then violently exploded leaving haggis entrails all over the
>                                                 ***************
> >}uWave.
> >}
> >split, spewing the "haggis entrails".  :-)

May I suggest that you try puncturing the skin of the haggis with a fork
in several places before microwaving it?  Someone posted that the skin
probably dried out and the contents exploded because they had no room
to expand.  Puncturing the haggis casing would more than likely avoid
this.  Good luck!
--
Lisa C. Makosewski
Defense Industrial Supply Center

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (09/20/89)

In article <2277@discg1.UUCP>, iscad02@discg1.UUCP (lisa makosewski) writes:
> In article <eazS02Y=57HS01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, greg@uts.amdahl.com (Greg Bullough) writes:
> > In article <80@flash.UUCP> bill@flash.UUCP (William Swan) writes:
> > >In article <348@galadriel.bt.co.uk> pcf@galadriel.bt.co.uk (Pete French) writes:
> > >}a haggis) and then violently exploded leaving haggis entrails all over the
> > >}uWave.

A giant banger!

Sort of.

Is this, perhaps, a test of a new Scottish secret weapon?  :}

------------
"...I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by
reorganizing: and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion
of progress, while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralization."
	- Petronius Arbiter, 210 B.C.

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (09/23/89)

In article <80@flash.UUCP> bill@flash.UUCP (William Swan) writes:
   (Anyone with a better guess, I'd entertain it... but I'll certainly take the
   warning and *not* do a haggis in a microwave. :-)

From personal experience: don't try to put egg into the microwave, either.

When I bought the uWave, it said in the manual (very poor translation from
Korean) "do not put egg into microwave" or something similar.  I assumed
that this would mean a whole egg, with the shell (one could imagine all
kinds of havoc an exploding egg in the uWave would wreak).

One day, I made myself a warm sandwich which included amongst other things,
*thinly* sliced egg.  It took me forever to scrape rock-hard yolk off the
uWave walls.  Seems that boiled yolk somehow traps moisture which is then
released more or less explosively...

Making an omlette is another thing, it works beautifully.
Maybe it's time to move this to rec.food.cooking or something...
--
* * * Otto J. Makela (otto@jyu.fi, MAKELA_OTTO_@FINJYU.BITNET) * * * * * * *
* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (CCITT, Bell 2400/1200/300) *