[soc.culture.african] RACIST JOKES

richmond@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan E. D. Richmond) (11/21/88)

Gary, let's please not speculate on what I might or might not do --
I have simply given Brad Templeton notice that if he cannot find
sufficient control to be reasonably selective by himself, I am
inclined to take further action.  I haven't said what that action is.

As it so happens, I have been informed that Brad Templeton in fact
owns his firm, so there doesn't appear to be a question of contacting
his employer (there may be other options, though.)

But let us take that particular case:  If I were an employer, I would
certainly want to know if one of my employees were sending out racially
offensive material using *my* equipment, and I would certainly regard
it as my right to tell that employee to stop doing so.  Part of
"freedom of speech" is the opportunity to inform affected communities
of what is going on.  If someone would be ashamed at an employer having
that knowledge, then it is an indication that the material in question
is socially unacceptable.  This is no more an attempt at "censorship"
than Mr. Templeton's decisions to reject jokes he does not find to be
amusing.  One person might argue that Mr. Templeton should be selective
only to the extent of rejecting boring submissions; another might
say he should exclude racist material.  It is all a matter of selectivity,
and I believe it involves judgment.

As I said in an earlier posting, I very much support the right of
freedom of speech, but that is rarely the only "right" under consideration.
The right of ethnic and religious groups to not feel persecuted is
another and, by the way, Canadian law is much stricter on this than
American law.  Mr. Templeton happens to live in Canada, so we should
consider the Canadian case as well as the American one.

My overall preference would be for Mr. Templeton to show some moderation,
then I could forget about the whole matter.  I certainly agree that
good judgement with free will is the best way to go.

numork@ndsuvax.UUCP (James Mork) (11/21/88)

In article <8086@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> richmond@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan E. D. Richmond) writes:
>Gary, let's please not speculate on what I might or might not do --
>I have simply given Brad Templeton notice that if he cannot find
>sufficient control to be reasonably selective by himself, I am
>inclined to take further action.  I haven't said what that action is.

                                   -----------------------------------

  But is anybody up for offers on the TV movie rights?

--
                  UUCP                Bitnet                Internet
          uunet!ndsuvax!numork    numork@ndsuvax     numork@plains.nodak.edu

#! rnews            827
Relay

war@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Andy R.) (11/21/88)

richmond@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan E. D. Richmond) writes:

[well, you saw it so why repost it?]

Until now, and like (I'll bet) so many others, I've been sitting on
the side watching the flames roll past.

Until now, that is.

Johnathans thinly disguised threats to "take action" smack
of the MES/TIMBO "I'll sue" syndrome.  And while I may or may
not agree with the way Brad moderates rec.humor.funny,
I find it much the concept of somebody trying to take the
net to an employer and crying "I'll sue UNLESS. .." much
more offensive than ANYTHING I've seen reposted by Brad.

I would like to place in nomination the name. . .

Andy R.
war@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.  I do not
speak for this company, nor represent it (or its opinions).
--
I dared and just look. . .

rob@violet.berkeley.edu (Rev. Bob) (11/22/88)

In article <8086@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> richmond@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan E. D. Richmond) writes:
>My overall preference would be for Mr. Templeton to show some moderation,
>then I could forget about the whole matter.  I certainly agree that
>good judgement with free will is the best way to go.

Well, you might be able to forget about it.  Mr Templeton (If he knows
what's good for him) had better preapprove those jokes with ME, so I
can tell him which jokes, would offend MY brand of Christianity.

My people don't approve of any postings relating to SEX, DRUGS, ROCK
MUSIC, JUDAISM, ISLAM, CATHOLISM, DEVIL worship or other satanistic
practices.  This stuff is just morally offensive, and as Nancy Gould
said (a bit of a paraphrase here), "If it offends someone why post at
all?"

A member of our group is preparing a MORALITY TEST for all the USENET
moderators (and potential moderators) to take to see if they are fit
for the job.

Mr Richmond is right.  The moderators need some guidance and my group is
here to help.

Rev. Bob

engelson@cs.yale.edu (Sean Philip Engelson) (11/22/88)

The problem is not with the jokes posted, nor is it with the policy of
posting these jokes.  The problem is the attitude expressed by several
people of "If you don't like it, don't read it!".  This policy fails
to address the main issue at hand which is that many discriminatory
remarks can help build and reinforce real discriminatory tendencies.
Thus telling people not to read so that they won't be offended does
not address the problem, as the problem is with the people who read
and begin to believe, or are buttressed in their belief that, the
characteristics and stereotypes in the joke or story are true, and
then go and act on these beliefs.  And should you believe that
net.people are good, honest, non-discriminatory folk, I should point
you at comp.ai, where someone who posted an ordinary post was flamed
from a number of people about his posting, in racial terms.

I am not calling for censorship of rec.humor.funny.  I am, however,
calling for an honest recognition of the effects that postings may
have, and an honest attempt to act accordingly.

	-Sean-

Sean Philip Engelson, Gradual Student
Yale Department of Computer Science
51 Prospect St.
New Haven, CT 06520
The frame problem and the problem of formalizing our intuiutions about
inductive relevance are, in every important respect, the same thing.
It is just as well, perhaps, that people working on the frame problem
in AI are unaware that this is so.  One imagines the expression of
horror that flickers across their CRT-illuminated faces as the awful
facts sink in.  What could they do but "down-tool" and become
philosophers?  One feels for them.  Just think of the cut in pay!
		-- Jerry Fodor
		(Modules, Frames, Fridgeons, Sleeping Dogs, and the
		 Music of the Spheres)