[soc.college] Grading, atmosphere at Georgia Tech

dzoey@umd5 (Joe Herman) (09/19/86)

John Tamplin <119@blnt1.UUCP> writes:

> At Georgia Tech, the only major problem with mischievious computer science
> students that I know of is the printout stealers.

The same used to be true here at Merryland years and years ago, so they
stopped self-serve printer service and hired workstudy students to play
dispatchers.  After a while, no one could remember about printout stealing
so two years ago, they allowed one student self-serve printer in a remote
terminal location (the library).  An instant hit and the reports of stolen
printouts are very rare.  I guess you just have to break the trend...

> Classes may be dropped up until the middle of the quarter.  You can
> only add or  change classes during the first week.  The system is
> already being abused (some people take 22+ hours, only to drop 6 at
> midterm)....

I don't see why this is an abuse.  Throughout my college career I've always
signed up for more credits than I was intended keeping simply because
I didn't know which of the classes would suit me.  After I decided which
ones I was interested in, I dropped the others.  I don't see why this is
an abuse of the system (Merryland's system of drop/add is similar to
Ga. Tech's)

> John Tamplin					Blount Brothers Corporation
> akgua!blnt1!jat					2511 Fairlane Drive

Joe Herman
Computer Science Center PC/IP Project
University of Maryland

DZOEY@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU--
"Everything is wonderful until you know something about it."

u552434981ea@ucdavis.UUCP (u552434981ea) (09/20/86)

In article <1257@umd5> dzoey@umd5.umd.edu (Joe Herman) writes:
>John Tamplin <119@blnt1.UUCP> writes:
>
>> At Georgia Tech, the only major problem with mischievious computer science
>> students that I know of is the printout stealers.
>
>The same used to be true here at Merryland years and years ago, so they
>stopped self-serve printer service and hired workstudy students to play
>dispatchers.  After a while, no one could remember about printout stealing
>so two years ago, they allowed one student self-serve printer in a remote
>terminal location (the library).  An instant hit and the reports of stolen
>printouts are very rare.  I guess you just have to break the trend...

Here at Univ. of California at Davis the main problem with the self-service
printers is that users recycle output that isn't theirs but is  still
connected to their own output because some other user is slow to get to
the printer.  I guess you could recomend that users get to the printers
right away, but of course most don't listen.

>> Classes may be dropped up until the middle of the quarter.  You can
>> only add or  change classes during the first week.  The system is
>> already being abused (some people take 22+ hours, only to drop 6 at
>> midterm)....
>
>I don't see why this is an abuse.  Throughout my college career I've always
>signed up for more credits than I was intended keeping simply because
>I didn't know which of the classes would suit me.  After I decided which
>ones I was interested in, I dropped the others.  I don't see why this is
>an abuse of the system (Merryland's system of drop/add is similar to
>Ga. Tech's)

SOP, from all that I ever seen on campuses.

Bryan McDonald

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."