[soc.college] Printout theft

chiu@princeton.UUCP (Kenneth Chiu) (09/22/86)

I'm not quite sure I understand.  Does this theft occur because people steal
printouts so they can submit them as their own?  I've never heard of that occurring
here.  Our rooms are self-serve and always open.
--
Kenneth Chiu                                              UUCP: princeton!chiu
Princeton University Computer Science Department        BITNET: 6031801@PUCC

victoro@crash.UUCP (Victor O'Rear) (09/25/86)

[Ya! Ya!]

At San Diego State University (a middling school of 33,000+) we have a closed
IO room where you need to present your ID card before getting your printouts.
In addition to the normal lineprinters we also have one letter quality printer
and a plotter connected to the net.  I can't answer the question of what
equipment we have here, because we have two centralized systems for most CS and
Statistical (SocSci) work and a seperate CadCam center that has printouts next
to the counsols with workers only allowed access to the printers.

[Its actually a matter of trust - They don't trust us]
:q

--
Victor O'Rear {ihnp4, akgua, sdcsvax, cbosgd, sdamos, bang}!crash!victoro
ARPA: crash!victoro@[ucsd,nosc]

[A Feasablity study is now being done on a new discalmer]
[Old Disclaimer]:
"Our forefathers told us never to drank anything that would make us week
or silly."

chapman@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Brent Chapman) (09/27/86)

In article <933@usl.UUCP> jew@usl.UUCP (James E. Wilson) writes:
>I would  be interested in hearing about IO arrangements at other
>schools.

I/O arrangements?  What I/O arrangements?

Seriously.  We have about a half-dozen line printers and a couple of Sun
(really Apple, but anyway) LaserWriters that are generally used by
undergrads.  All are in totally open, non-monitored environments, adjacent
to terminal rooms.  The biggest problems we have are when the output
doesn't stack right (does it ever?), and when the tiny printer rooms
(the smallest is also one of the busiest) fill up with trash (discarded
headers, old printouts, etc.).  You sometimes have to dig to find a
printout.  General cleanup method for these rooms is to dump everything,
so if you print something, but don't go dig it out before the room
gets purged, you're usually out of luck.

We generally don't have problems with printout theft; most people run
a print job, then go pick it within the next five minutes.  That, or
they don't pick it up at all...  "Abandoned" printouts are a bigger
problem than "missing" printouts.

I like things this way; I generally hack during the wee hours of the
morning, when I/O rooms on other campuses are apparently closed.

Brent

--

Brent Chapman

chapman@cory.berkeley.edu	or	ucbvax!cory!chapman

6063366@PUCC.BITNET (Carl Micarelli) (09/30/86)

In article <933@usl.UUCP> jew@usl.UUCP (James E. Wilson) writes:
>I would  be interested in hearing about IO arrangements at other
>schools.

In the main output room (the "Ready Room") at Princeton, there is one line
printer (the "Ready Printer") open for users to go get their own output.
Users are supposed to separate all jobs that are attached to theirs and stack
them neatly on the table, but some people fail to separate the jobs, making
it hard to find the right output.

The other printers are in a restricted area, and the operators put the output
in the users' bins (either private bins, or public bins designated by the first
letter of the user's last name).  I've never heard anyone complain about her or
his output being stolen (but then, what do I know?), but the output sometimes
spills onto the floor and gets trampled on during times of heavy use.

Carl Micarelli            BITNET: 6063366@PUCC
Princeton class of '87    UUCP:   ...!allegra!psuvax1!pucc.bitnet!6063366
                          USMAIL: 122 1903 Hall, Princeton, NJ  08544

chelsea@dartvax.UUCP (Karen Christenson) (10/01/86)

>>I would  be interested in hearing about IO arrangements at other
>>schools.

     At Dartmouth, there hasn't been a real problem with printout thefts;
certainly it was a new idea to me (but then, I'm not cut-throat).
     Students use DCTS (homegrown) or Unix; some have access to VMS, but it's
a research machine and few courses use it.  Each system has a line printer
in the machine room; there's also a QMS laser printer shared between DCTS
and Unix.  Output is delivered to a counter in the main public terminal room
every half hour or so (depending on how busy the ops are).  The day's output
goes on the top of the counter; output from the preceding four days (used to
be seven but that was too much paper) gets put in bins marked by days
underneath.  Before they renovated, there was room for a table specifically
for the output from course accounts.
     A number of the public clusters have remote printers which all of the
systems can access.  If you're not prompt about getting your printout, it
will probably wind up in the recycled paper box.
     With all the Macs on campus, we also have a number of Imagewriter
stations:  three or four at the computer center and one in each dormitory
cluster.  We had a real problem with people stealing ribbons and such;
usually we didn't replace them for a while.  Ribbons got changed when they
were *really* worn out and not just light (we guarantee output; quality
output you take care of yourself).  If there were major problems with abuse
of the printer station, it was pulled out of the cluster.  We also have
a couple of Laserwriters, but they're available only during business hours
because they wanted them stored someplace that got locked at night.
     Except for Laserwriter output, everything is free.  Laserwriter output
is $.25/page through the computer center or $.10 at the biomedical library
(but it's farther from the center of campus).  QMS output is free, but if
you make more than one copy of a file, you get only one copy and a nasty
note from the op about how the QMS is not a photocopier.  Files that are
longer than 20-30 pages shouldn't get printed on remote printers or the
terminal room assistant might abort the job and leave you half a printout
and a nasty note about hogging the printer.
     And that's the way it is ...

						Karen Christenson
"Mostly harmless."				...!dartvax!chelsea
			Have an adequate day.

wjjordan@watrose.UUCP (W. Jim Jordan) (10/06/86)

>I would  be interested in hearing about IO arrangements at other
>schools.

Students at Waterloo can get accounts on various systems.
These include several VAXen running Unix, a Honeywell DPS8/49 (affectionately
known as the Bun), IBM freezers running VM/CMS, and networks of PCs connected
by JANET.

The Unix systems (most of them, anyway) talk to the Bun, which
is often used as the print spooler for our large crop of VAXen within the
faculty of mathematics.  Printouts from the Bun are filed according to the
first letter of the userid every half-hour by the operators.  If you specify
a banner name beginning with $$, the operators will hold the printout until
you ask them for it.  The Unix systems also have self-service printers
scattered throughout the buildings which users can direct their printouts to
and pick them up as soon as they are printed.

CMS users don't have any option like this that I know of.  Their printouts
are filed by first two letters of their userid, unless they are major users,
in which case they get a section labelled with their userid.

JANET users spool their printouts, then explicitly request their listings
to be printed.  The printers are self-serve.  When the paper runs out,
someone calls the Department of Computing Services operator, and things proceed
from there.

Just about every system on campus (except the micro networks) can be accessed
through a Sytek network.  Most of the public terminals are connected to Sytek,
though a few still use Gandalf boxes to select a system.  There are a number of
327x terminals around which are hard-wired to CMS.  The limiting factor for
access to most systems is not the number of terminals, but the number of Sytek
ports available on the machine.

						regards,
							wjj

--
"Syncopation is staggering from bar to bar."

	     W. Jim Jordan
CANADA POST: 365 Hazel St., Waterloo, Ont., N2L 3P3
USENET:      wjjordan@watrose