[net.music] DICKIES!

chrisb@haddock.UUCP (10/15/85)

       I got the chance to see a wonderful band last night called the Dickies.
They are perhaps most well-known for their hyper-speed version of "Knights
in White Satin". The music is very fast and loud, almost like hardcore (in
fact there was quite a bit of slam-dancing up front by the usual assortment
of punks and ghouls). But the melodic structures of the songs, as well as the
front man's bizarre sense of humor (can't remember his name), give this band a
really unique quality. His voice is that sort high-strung sound that Pete
Shelley used to have with the Buzzcocks, or perhaps Jello Biafra's (though not
as ugly).
	The high-point of the show was during the song "If Stewart could Talk"
which is about...you guessed it... the guy's THANG. He pulled out this hand
puppet (actually more of an arm-puppet) shaped like the real animal with a
face, and this thing gave a little monologue (I wish I could remember it).
The song asks the question "What would he say, if Stewie could talk to me?"
The answer at the end of the song: the band broke into that Who song
"See me, Feel me, Touch me, Heal me...(or however it goes) with the puppet
mouthing the words. Too much!
	Does anyone know anything about this band, like where they are from?
I know they have been around for awhile.
						Til we drink again - Zak

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) (10/19/85)

In article <90300007@haddock.UUCP> chrisb@haddock.UUCP writes:

>       I got the chance to see a wonderful band last night called the Dickies.
>They are perhaps most well-known for their hyper-speed version of "Knights
>in White Satin". The music is very fast and loud, almost like hardcore (in
>fact there was quite a bit of slam-dancing up front by the usual assortment
>of punks and ghouls). But the melodic structures of the songs, as well as the
>front man's bizarre sense of humor (can't remember his name), give this band a
>really unique quality. His voice is that sort high-strung sound that Pete
>Shelley used to have with the Buzzcocks, or perhaps Jello Biafra's (though not
>as ugly).
>	The high-point of the show was during the song "If Stewart could Talk"
>which is about...you guessed it... the guy's THANG. He pulled out this hand
>puppet (actually more of an arm-puppet) shaped like the real animal with a
>face, and this thing gave a little monologue (I wish I could remember it).
>The song asks the question "What would he say, if Stewie could talk to me?"
>The answer at the end of the song: the band broke into that Who song
>"See me, Feel me, Touch me, Heal me...(or however it goes) with the puppet
>mouthing the words. Too much!
>	Does anyone know anything about this band, like where they are from?
>I know they have been around for awhile.
>						Til we drink again - Zak

I believe the Dickies have been around since about 1978 and they originate
in California. They have three albums out (to my knowledge):

1) The Incredible Shrinking Dickies (has a great version of Black Sabbath's
                                                            "Paranoid")
2) Dawn of The Dickies (with Nights in White Satin)

and a third album that has an amusing version of Zep's Communication Breakdown
(The name of this album escapes me)

--

Another wunnerful letter from the semi-intelligent rotting brain of:

                              Paul Kirsch
                              St. Joseph's University
                              Philadelphia, Pa

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!kirsch

Warning: Objects in Terminal Room are Closer than they Appear...

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (10/22/85)

> I believe the Dickies have been around since about 1978 and they originate
> in California. They have three albums out (to my knowledge):
>
> 1) The Incredible Shrinking Dickies (has a great version of Black Sabbath's
>                                                             "Paranoid")
> 2) Dawn of The Dickies (with Nights in White Satin)
>
> and a third album that has an amusing version of Zep's Communication Breakdown
> (The name of this album escapes me)
>                               Paul Kirsch

"Stukas Over Disneyland"
--
Life is complex.  It has real and imaginary parts.
					Rich Rosen  ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x268) (10/26/85)

I believe "The Dickies" are from LA/Orange County area (CA).
They played at UCLA as recently as a year ago ( for FREE!). They are
as good on vinyl as they are live ( though not as much fun!). I don't
remember off hand what lable they are on, but they have at least 3
albums ("Golden Shower of Hits", "Stukas Over Disneyland", and  at least
one other).
--
Disclamer: My employers go to church every Sunday, listen to Country music,
and donate money to GOP. I am just a deviant.

pickle@nmtvax.UUCP (10/29/85)

In article <> kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) writes:
>I believe the Dickies have been around since about 1978 and they originate
>in California. They have three albums out (to my knowledge):
>1) The Incredible Shrinking Dickies (has a great version of Black Sabbath's
>                                                            "Paranoid")
>2) Dawn of The Dickies (with Nights in White Satin)
>and a third album that has an amusing version of Zep's Communication Breakdown
>(The name of this album escapes me)
  The third album is Stukas over Disneyland, their best, in my humble opinion.
They also have a white vinyl EP called The Dickies White Vinyl Maxi Single,
strangely enough.  The EP only has one song not contained on Incredible,
"Hideous".  I have heard rumors of a version of "Silent Night", but it's not
on anything I've seen.
  Leonard Graves Phillips (sp?) is the lead singer, and he and Steve Huffsteter
are the only original Dickies (there was a large change after Dawn of).
Does anyone know what became of Chuck Wagon--I'm under the impression that
he died (from the ode on the Stukas sleeve, and "Wagon Train").  Does
Steve Huffsteter have anything to do w/ the Repo Man soundtrack--I recall
seeing his name, or something close to it on the jacket.
  Where are these boys playing around Xmas?  I'd give my Diffy-Q teacher's
right arm to see them: they are the cutting edge of Rock and Roll, and there
can be *no....  [silly innocuous comments].  Good lord, a screen and a half
without mentioning Her Royal Highness.  What is this newsgroup coming to?

Patrick H. Madden | "Yes, my name is Stewart, and I assure you I can speak,
New Mexico Tech   | And lately I find myself astounded at the sort of company
Box 2244          | you keep.../ One thing further I must mention, of this fact
Socorro, NM 87801 | I cannot understand/ Is your sensational attention at
                    annoying me with your hand."  -- Stewie
       {Reality}!cmcl2!lanl!unmc!nmtvax!pickle
                  !ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!pickle

@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA:Lippard.Multics@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA (10/29/85)

From: "James J. Lippard" <Lippard@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA>
> [Oleg Kiselev]:
> I believe "The Dickies" are from LA/Orange County area (CA).
> They played at UCLA as recently as a year ago ( for FREE!). They are
> as good on vinyl as they are live ( though not as much fun!). I don't
> remember off hand what lable they are on, but they have at least 3
> albums ("Golden Shower of Hits", "Stukas Over Disneyland", and  at least
> one other).

"Golden Shower of Hits" is the third album from the Circle Jerks
(preceded by "Group Sex" and "Wild in the Streets"), not the Dickies.
The Dickies' other albums are "The Incredible Shrinking Dickies" and
"Dawn of the Dickies".

Jim Lippard (Lippard at MIT-MULTICS.ARPA)

ebm@ingres.ARPA (Grady Toss) (10/30/85)

> I have heard rumors of a version of "Silent Night", but it's not on
> anything I've seen.

The Dickies have a 7" (on white vinyl) featuring "Silent Night" and
"Sounds of Silence."  Long out of print I would guess.

Their single featuring "The Tra-La-La Song" (otherwise known as the
theme song to the Banana Splits Show) is also non-LP I think.

(Anyone else out there have the ORIGINAL Banana Splits EP's on Kellogg's
records? One of the cuts is Barry White singing "Doin' the Banana Split")

... gt

reeves@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/03/85)

Just to set the record straight....

The Dickies are from the San Fernando Valley/North Hollywood and
formed in 1976.  Many of their early gigs were performed with
Leonard Graves in a wheelchair after he broke both legs jumping
from the balcony to the stage at the Starwood.

The records are: the white maxie single, Incredible Shrinking
Dickies, Dawn of the Dickies (both on A&M), and Stukas over
Disneyland.  _Golden Shower of Hits_ is a Circle Jerks LP.

They got on the charts in the UK with the singles 'Banana Splits'
and 'Gigantor' (yes, the cartoon themes) which have, to my
knowledge, never made it to an lp.

 Steve Huffsteter was only in the band for a short period of time.
He now plays in the Cruzados (nee Plugz) who have just released
a record (whose name escapes me).  Historians can also find him
on the Quick's one lp.  He and Tito Latvira (sp?) from the Cruzados
were resposible for the RepoMan soundtrack.

Chuck Wagon commited suicide.

The Dickies are continually slagged off in the LA music press for
continuing to do the same set for over five years now (same jokes,
same patter, same props) and would seem to have become the first
dinosaur punk/pop band.  However, if you haven't seen 'em, they
always deliver.

They will be playing in late November in Plancetia (another fine
suburb of LA) with 7 Seconds, Uniform Choice and Doggie Style.

  John Reeves
  Computer Science Department  UUCP: ...!{ihnp4,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!reeves
  A.I. Lab, 3531 Boelter Hall  ARPA: reeves@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU