[net.sf-lovers] SF-LOVERS Digest V10 #109

@RUTGERS.ARPA,@USC-ECL.ARPA:BURHANS@ECLD (04/02/85)

From: Jackie <Burhans%ECLD@ECLA>

oh! i get it. gosh its tuff to be mentally deficient...
-------

@RUTGERS.ARPA:allison@mitre.ARPA (04/06/85)

From: Burgess Allison <allison@mitre.ARPA>

>>I am trying to find a book that I read a few years ago.
>>Unfortunately I can't remember either the title or the author.  All
>>I remember is that I liked it a lot.  Any help in finding it would
>>be appreciated.
>
>        I believe the book you are looking for is "The
>Planet-Strappers by Raymond Z. Gallun which was published by Pyramid
>books sometime around 1962 if I remember correctly.

Nah.  That wasn't it at all.  Everyone knows the book that I liked
a lot was "Tom Corbett: Space Cadet" with Tom, big-lug power jockey
Astro, and that smart-alecky Roger Manning.  Not to mention Steve the ...
Well, I said I not to mention.

Also ...

>  On the subject of nostalgic shows, I seem to remember this show
>from I think the late 60's that takes place on board this space
>ship.
>  If I remember correctly there were seven or eight main characters
>including the captain and a doctor and every week they would
>encounter this different alien race or solve this strange scientific
>puzzle.
>  The captain of the ship would always go charging into trouble and
>getting bailed out by someone else, usually his science officer who
>was an alien or some kind of robot. Oh, and I think he had pointy
>ears or something strange like that.

Yeah, I know that show, too!  Lessee now.  I think it was ... yeah,
wasn't that Star Wars?

And finally, ...

>Subject: Aprilogies
>        For those of you who didn't notice, issue #109 of SF-LOVERS
>was the first (and possibly last) April Fools Issue.  I would like
>to take a moment to apologize to anyone who may have been offended
>by the contents or therein.

NO NO NO!

Not the last.  No apology needed.  Not offended.  Please.  Good.
Imaginative.  Entertaining.  People who got angry only angry
because they got suckered in by the Aspirin "non-spoiler."  (Like me.)
I'm reduced to mono-word sentences trying to communicate favor
across evidently intergalactic distances.

It was refreshing to see creative energies at work in SF-LOVERS,
and my heartfelt congratulations to those people who obviously put in
a fair amount of time and effort to produce the issue.

                                       -- Burgess
                                          <allison@mitre>