[talk.politics.theory] A modest proposal: study some philosophy

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (10/06/86)

Some amplification of my previous comments:

> THE SECOND LAW:  People who write drivel like to post net-articles
> because it gives their thoughts an importance they otherwise lack,
> while those who are capable of refuting the balderdash generally have
> more rewarding things to do with their time.

A big problem with the unmoderated soapbox newsgroups is that there
is no filter to screen out the dreck.  If you're connected to the net
and you can read and write, you can inflict your views on

ladkin@kestrel.UUCP (10/08/86)

In article <576@gargoyle.UUCP>, carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) writes:
> [...] *A Theory of Justice* by John Rawls.
> [...]following sections (180 pages) containing Rawls's central arguments:

Thanks for the reference. I've never read TJ, partly because of the
size, and it's always one lower on the stack than Parfitt and Nagel,
who are both entertaining writers.

I heartily endorse the practice of giving references for arguments.
It helps those who are unfamiliar with the subject matter.

Peter Ladkin
ladkin@kestrel.arpa