[net.sf-lovers] SF movie explosions

@RUTGERS.ARPA:mike@rice.ARPA (04/05/85)

From: Mike Caplinger <mike@rice.ARPA>

Alastair Milne points out that the explosions in SILENT RUNNING are
instances of that rare thing, a convincing \in vacuo/ explosion in an
SF movie.  Unfortunately, I can't think of even ONE other example.  Can
anyone else?

The one thing I've never forgiven George Lucas for is the incredibly
stupid explosion he used in STAR WARS, which has since been duplicated
by every other space shoot 'em up.

	- Mike

ps.  The explosion of Jupiter in 2010 doesn't count, though it was well
done.

ph@wudma.UUCP (04/07/85)

> Alastair Milne points out that the explosions in SILENT RUNNING are
> instances of that rare thing, a convincing \in vacuo/ explosion in an
> SF movie.  Unfortunately, I can't think of even ONE other example.  Can
> anyone else?

*** MASSAGE THIS LOIN AT YOUR PLACE ***

	It's been a while since I've seen the flick, but I think I
	remember noticing at the time that the explosion of the asteroid
	in STTMP was fairly well done.
						--pH
/*
 *	"Pardon me for breathing, which I don't do anyway so I don't
 *	know why I bother apologising for it, oh GOD I'm so depressed."
 */

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (04/08/85)

> From: Mike Caplinger <mike@rice.ARPA>
>
> Alastair Milne points out that the explosions in SILENT RUNNING are
> instances of that rare thing, a convincing \in vacuo/ explosion in an
> SF movie.  Unfortunately, I can't think of even ONE other example.  Can
> anyone else?

A couple:

(1) The "expulsion" of Dave Boman from the excursion pod in 2001
(2) Any explosion in Star Trek: the Motion Picture
(3) The explosion of the klingon vessel in the Star Trek
    episode: Day of the Dove

And that may be the complete list...

...it is something that has irritated me in the past also...

Oh, and incidently: if the microphone recording an explosion in a
      vacuum is hit by a "puff" of expanding gas from the explosion, or
      a shock wave of more violent intensity, there will, in fact,
      be a noise...

Also incidently: why are there so many explosions in space in all
      these movies anyway? --- just a thought...

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

                 /
               =|--
               = \
               =
             [][][]

"...I don't know what this thing does, but it's pointing in your direction."