[net.sf-lovers] SF-LOVERS Digest V10 #118: Computers in SF: names

@RUTGERS.ARPA:romkey@mit-borax (04/10/85)

From: romkey@mit-borax (John L. Romkey)

I know the computer in Alien was called "Mother". We've got one here
at MIT named after it; people never understand.

And the Wargames computer was WOPR, wasn't it? I should know
Asimov's computer's name, but it's been a long time. Maybe it was
Multivac? I don't remember computers in "I Dream of Jeannie" or
Rollerball at all, though.
						- John

mercury@ut-ngp.UUCP (Larry E. Baker) (04/10/85)

[0]

> I know the computer in Alien was called "Mother". We've got one here
> at MIT named after it; people never understand.

> And the Wargames computer was WOPR, wasn't it? I should know
> Asimov's computer's name, but it's been a long time. Maybe it was
> Multivac? I don't remember computers in "I Dream of Jeannie" or
> Rollerball at all, though.
						- John

Asimov's computer was Multivac.  If I remember correctly, the computer
in Rollerball was 'Zero.'  (I distinctly remember the 'head' computer
scientist [computer priest?] losing it and kicking the thing when it
wouldn't do what he wanted)

Just a 'bit' of trivia...

--
-  Larry Baker @ The University of Texas at Austin
-  ... {seismo!ut-sally | decvax!allegra | tektronix!ihnp4}!ut-ngp!mercury

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (04/11/85)

In article <1162@topaz.ARPA> @RUTGERS.ARPA:romkey@mit-borax writes:
>I should know
>Asimov's computer's name, but it's been a long time. Maybe it was
>Multivac?
>						- John

actually, there were several computers in "The Last Question".  they
all had 'ac' on the end (for analogue computer).  multivac was one,
COSMIC AC was another.  there are at least 3 more.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu