[talk.abortion] What makes XXXX so Valuable?

rat@tybalt.caltech.edu.Caltech.Edu (Ray Trent) (09/09/86)

In article <608@houem.UUCP> marty1@houem.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) writes:
>[...]That's the remarkable thing
>about natural selection.  It doesn't select features that are "Right,"
>just features that perpetuate themselves. [...]

Exactly -- so, why bother talking about it (here, in this newsgroup,
rather than net.origins)?

what you need,
		Paul Torek, not necessarily reflecting the views of:
		rat@tybalt.caltech.edu

marty1@houem.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) (09/11/86)

In <963@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, rat@tybalt.caltech.edu.Caltech.Edu (Ray
Trent) says:

> In article <608@houem.UUCP> marty1@houem.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) writes:
> >[...]That's the remarkable thing
> >about natural selection.  It doesn't select features that are "Right,"
> >just features that perpetuate themselves. [...]
>
> Exactly -- so, why bother talking about it (here, in this newsgroup,
> rather than net.origins)?

Because given a choice between a policy that's "Right" in some abstract
sense, and a policy that's likely to perpetuate the species or the
society, the individual, or some combination of the two, I tend toward
the pragmatic choice.

Being abstractly "Right" may be irrelevant because my own view, that
survival of the group is a primary "good," may itself be a result of
natural selection.  Subspecies or cultures in which people have that
belief are more likely to survive than those in which the survival of
the individual is the primary "good."  I am probably the product of
such a culture.

I guess I wandered somewhat far afield by indulging in iconoclasm.  My
main point has to do with making choices based on tangible value.  I
speculated that much of our ethics today evolved by means of that
criterion.

Specifically, I suggest that a society that holds human life "sacred"
survives because it thus establishes "not killing" as a policy, and
this leads to success because the people we don't kill are useful to
us.  But a fetus is not useful, and sacrificing tangible values to
preserve a fetus is not conducive to success.

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201)-949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	ihnp4!houem!marty1

pase@ogcvax.UUCP (Douglas M. Pase) (09/16/86)

In article <houem.614> marty1@houem.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) writes:
> [...]
>Specifically, I suggest that a society that holds human life "sacred"
>survives because it thus establishes "not killing" as a policy, and
>this leads to success because the people we don't kill are useful to
>us.  But a fetus is not useful, and sacrificing tangible values to
>preserve a fetus is not conducive to success.

Hmmm...  Interesting thought.  How about if we refine that a little.  How
about if we make it our policy to "not kill only those who are useful to us".
Therefore if a majority (after all this is a democracy) agrees that the
citizens of a certain unfriendly nation are not useful to us but their real
estate is, we have a certain moral right - nay, obligation - to exterminate
them and purloin their property.

I suppose that this could be extended even to citizens of this country.  Now
that would be an effective method of controlling unemployment, poverty and
the spiraling costs of Medicare and Social Security, not to mention crime and
the nation's drug problem.  Capital punnishment for being useless!

As for fetuses being useless?  Well, all the greatest people in this world
(at least that I know of) were all fetuses at one time or another.  That seems
to me to suggest that perhaps a fetus is not quite as useless as was previously
suggested.
--
Doug Pase   --   ...ucbvax!tektronix!ogcvax!pase   or   pase@Oregon-Grad

marty1@houem.UUCP (10/02/86)

In <1093@ogcvax.UUCP>, pase@ogcvax.UUCP (Douglas M. Pase) quotes me as
saying

>>...  But a fetus is not useful, and sacrificing tangible values to
>>preserve a fetus is not conducive to success.

By the way, his maunderings along the lines of

>Therefore if a majority (after all this is a democracy) agrees that the
>citizens of a certain unfriendly nation are not useful to us but their real
>estate is, we have a certain moral right - nay, obligation - to exterminate
>them and purloin their property.

are of course accurate descriptions of how some wars really start.
Then he says

>As for fetuses being useless?  Well, all the greatest people in this world
>(at least that I know of) were all fetuses at one time or another.  That seems
>to me to suggest that perhaps a fetus is not quite as useless as was previously
>suggested.

which is supposed to carry the implication that if nobody thought
fetuses were useful, nobody would ever be born.

I submit that most people decide to have children because they would
_like_ to have children, not because they _need_ children.  I would say
that goes for me and my wife and why we had our three children.
Fetuses, and even children, are not expected to be useful.

Of course, that supports the idea that the parents, and especially the
mother, should decide whether a fetus should become a child.  The state
has no great interest in the matter.