[talk.abortion] Reply to Carole

marco@andromeda.UUCP (the wharf rat) (09/13/86)

In article <5269@decwrl.DEC.COM>, ferrin@tonto.dec.com (Doug Ferrin) writes:

> 		My main	concern is that abortion is being used as a form
> 	of birth control and not for what it was intended - to save a
> 	mothers	life, rape, incest etc..

          Is this really what it's intended for, though ?

> 	think an innocent third party ...
>       This blob of cells,...
> 	zygote or whatever label you attach to it has never
> 	developed	into anything other than a human being in all of
> 	history. So to say that it's just a mass of tissue is incorrect.

        You're right !  I'll say it's a mass of tissue that may someday
become a human being, O.K. ?  Acorns seldom yield anything but oak trees;
is an acorn an oak tree ?  All life on earth developed from single
celled organisms (you don't _really_ believe the fossil record is just
a shuck by the Almighty, do you ?).  Therefore single celled organisms
will _eventually_ become human beings.  Which leads me to the following:

                                 Down with murdering antibiotics !,

                                                            W.rat

And it's *not* killing a baby !

marty1@houem.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) (09/16/86)

In <5269@decwrl.DEC.COM>, ferrin@tonto.dec.com (Doug Ferrin) wrote:

> 	My main	concern is that abortion is being used as a form
> of birth control and not for what it was intended - to save a
> mothers life, rape, incest etc....

How do you know what abortion was intended for?  Give us a reference to
your evidence for intent.  My impression is that abortion was invented
centuries ago, not for medical necessity, but for social necessity, by
young women who were in panic because a pregnancy would "ruin their
lives."  However, my evidence consists mostly of vague memories from
old novels.  Am I misled?  If so, set me right.

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201)-949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	ihnp4!houem!marty1

david@tekig5.UUCP (David Hayes) (09/16/86)

In article <5269@decwrl.DEC.COM> ferrin@tonto.dec.com (Doug Ferrin) writes:

>		I very much sympathise with the plight of women. From
>	this last article it is evident that you spent a good deal of
>	your life trying not to get pregnant. More than I can say for a
>	family friend who just had an abortion at 5 months pregnant and
>	never practiced birth control - second abortion too.

So this was a case of when abortion was bad in your eyes.
Should the intent of the mother be weighed?  Did she try hard enough to
not get pregnant?

>		My main	concern is that abortion is being used as a form
>	of birth control and not for what it was intended - to save a
>	mothers	life, rape, incest etc.. The percentage of these is very

I don't know if their was ever an "intended use" for abortion other than
terminating pregnancies.

>	low. One abortion clinic in a neighboring town has advertised
>	free pregnancy tests. The new scam that was found at the clinic
>	was that women who not pregnant were being told that they were.
>	The clinic would then go ahead with the mock abortion. Big
>	BUCKS $$$$$. Now the abrtionist are playing games with your
>	head and your wallet.

All doctors that perform abortions are now conspiring against women?
The fact that one clinic gypped women ount of their money is a reason
for legislation?  Funny, in our town their are pro-life centers
masqerading as abortion clinics to intentionally deceive.

>		I am against abortion for convenience. I don't

You mean if she got pregnant she should pay for it, right?

>	think an innocent third party should pay because someone wants
>	to be sexually active and has an "accident". This blob of cells,

Of what third party do you speak?  Why do you separate a fetus from the
mother?  It cannot be done in the real world.  And what does innocence
have to do with anything?  Isn't the mother innocent?

>	zygote or whatever label you attach to it has never
>	developed	into anything other than a human being in all of
>	history. So to say that it's just a mass of tissue is incorrect.
>	It will - if it is let to live - grow up to be a human being.
>	Nothing else. And to stop it's development at that stage by

Monkeys are monkeys too, what is your point?

>	grinding it to a pulp and throwing it away is the worst form of
>	child abuse that I've heard of.

Ah, you are one of those sensitive individuals who carry the signs with
pictures of bloody hacked up fetuses.  Next you will be telling us what
is actually done with dead fetuses. Ooooh, ick.

Have you seen what parents do with some unwanted real children?
(that is post birth Doug)

>	Cheers,
> 	Have a nice day.
> 	Doug Ferrin

cheers, have a nice day, so long as you don't do anything I don't like.
dave

carole@rosevax.UUCP (Carole Ashmore) (09/19/86)

In article <5269@decwrl.DEC.COM>, ferrin@tonto.dec.com (Doug Ferrin) writes:

> >Don't talk to ME about birth control; I'm an expert.  Abortion is
> >needed as a backup by responsible women who don't believe in having
> >accidental children.
>					Carole Ashmore
>

> 		I very much sympathise with the plight of women. . .
> 		My main	concern is that abortion is being used as a form
> 	of birth control and not for what it was intended - to save a
> 	mothers	life, rape, incest etc.. The percentage of these is very
> 	low.
> 		I am against abortion for convenience. I don't
> 	think an innocent third party should pay because someone wants
> 	to be sexually active and has an "accident". This blob of cells,
> 	zygote or whatever label you attach to it has never
> 	developed	into anything other than a human being in all of
> 	history. So to say that it's just a mass of tissue is incorrect.
> 	It will - if it is let to live - grow up to be a human being.
> 	Nothing else. And to stop it's development at that stage by
> 	grinding it to a pulp and throwing it away is the worst form of
> 	child abuse that I've heard of.

Save your sympathy for the (man made) 'plight' of women.  If we manage
to hang on to our proper quota of human rights we won't need it.

Now let's examine the moral position of a man who feels that abortion
is " . . . the worst form of child abuse."  while at the same time
feeling that it should be used " . . . to save a mother's life,
rape, incest etc."  Saving the mother's life is a moot point in
this argument, as you can't save the fetus if the mother is
dead, so let's concentrate on just why you should claim abortion is
child abuse if the mother is "sexually active" but proper in the case
of rape or incest.

Sensible people, moral people, distinguish between fetus and child,
not between children normally conceived and children conceived of rape
or incest.  Would you allow infanticide of a newly born child of rape?
How about physical abuse of a five year old child of incest?  No?
Then why will you allow what you, yourself term "the worst form of
child abuse" in these cases BEFORE birth?

I know why, of course, having spent twenty years arguing with
moralistic prigs who CLAIM to oppose abortion because it is the
murder of a child but are willing to forget the notion of murder
instantly if the mother was 'innocent', if she wasn't 'sexually
active' of her own free will, if she was the victim of rape or of
the intrafamilial child abuse of incest, IF IT WASN'T HER FAULT.
I know that your concern for the fetus is a sham to hide your less
socially acceptable urge to punish sexually active women with the
threat of unwanted pregnancy; and anyone else who sees these two
arguments side by side should know it too.

There are some people in the world who really believe that abortion is
the murder of a child and oppose it in all cases; you are not one of
them.  I can respect these people's moral position, even while
disagreeing with them.  Your moral position is worthy of nothing but
disgust.  To hell with "Have a nice day" (as you are forever saying in
your signature).  Examine your conscience and have a lousy day.

					Carole Ashmore

stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) (09/21/86)

I know it's a lot to ask, but I wish that mothers of "unwanted" children
could somehow find the strength to carry the child to term and give it up
for adoption.  It's a difficult thing to do, but it would be a much more
satisfying thing to look back on than a "might have been".
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!{vrdxhq|dgis}!BMS-AT!stuart>

rha@bunker.UUCP (Robert H. Averack) (09/24/86)

In article <208@BMS-AT.UUCP> stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP writes:
>I know it's a lot to ask, but I wish that mothers of "unwanted" children
>could somehow find the strength to carry the child to term and give it up
>for adoption.  It's a difficult thing to do, but it would be a much more
>satisfying thing to look back on than a "might have been".
>--
>Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!{vrdxhq|dgis}!BMS-AT!stuart>

Perhaps you might consider wishing that the guys out there have the strength
to accept something less than "flesh-to-flesh" intercourse and use rubbers.
Also, how can you be so presumptuous as to suggest that going through the
trial of 40-weeks gestation, only to end in permanent separation, is more
satisfying than "to look back on a might have been".

Neither you, nor I, nor any man on this planet will ever have the empathy to
understand the innermost feelings of a woman, pregnant or otherwise.

--
 ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
 !             (Robert H. Averack @ Bunker Ramo, Trumbull, Ct.)          !

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (10/02/86)

In article <208@BMS-AT.UUCP> stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:
>I know it's a lot to ask, but I wish that mothers of "unwanted" children
>could somehow find the strength to carry the child to term and give it up
>for adoption.  It's a difficult thing to do, but it would be a much more
>satisfying thing to look back on than a "might have been".
>--
>Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!{vrdxhq|dgis}!BMS-AT!stuart>

Just out of curiosity, why do you wish this? I don't understand the
reason to undergo the extreme stigma of doing what is suggested?
Women have too much at stake mentally, physically, and psycologically.

P.M.Pincha-Wagener

stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) (10/08/86)

In article <705@bcsaic.UUCP>, pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (wagener) writes:

> >could somehow find the strength to carry the child to term and give it up

> Just out of curiosity, why do you wish this? I don't understand the
> reason to undergo the extreme stigma of doing what is suggested?
> Women have too much at stake mentally, physically, and psycologically.

Love.  Not Eros (sex), but Sturge (affection) or even Agape (divine love).
Mother love.  It used to come natural.

(What?  Are we sick or something?  Yes.)
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!{vrdxhq|dgis}!BMS-AT!stuart>