[net.sf-lovers] computers in SF - Rollerball

@RUTGERS.ARPA:Slocum.CSCDA@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (04/12/85)

From: Slocum@HI-MULTICS.ARPA

> computer in Rollerball was 'Zero.'  (I distinctly remember the
> 'head' computer scientist [computer priest?] losing it and kicking
> the thing when it wouldn't do what he wanted)

Oh,  one  of my favorite actors, Sir Ralph Richardson, played the
computer priest.  And he was just as eccentric  as  his  computer
(a fluid dynamics based computer, as I recall).

You   remember   him,   he  was  also  the  wonderful  wizard  in
DragonSlayer (which I enjoyed a lot). He's one of the  few  great
actors  (I'm  talking  really  great-  I  put  him somewhere near
Lawrence Olivier and John Gielgud) to do much fantasy or  science
fiction  work.  (No,  I don't consider Shakespeare to be fantasy,
except Midsummer Nights Dream, and maybe The Tempest, and maybe ...).

Brett Slocum
(ARPA : Slocum\@HI-MULTICS)
(UUCP : ...ihnp4!umn-cs!hi-csc!slocum)