[talk.abortion] 2-year-olds vs fetuses-survival

melissa@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Melissa Silvestre) (10/06/86)

In article <648@houem.UUCP> marty1@houem.UUCP writes:
>In <1606@cbdkc1.UUCP>, pmd@cbdkc1.UUCP (Paul M. Dubuc) wrote:
>
>OK, Paul, if the same protection the state gives 2-year olds will
>satisfy you as protection of the fetus, I'm satisfied too.  If the
>mother of a 2-year old absolutely refuses to care for a 2-year old, and
>wants to give the child away, the child is taken away from her.  Don't
>impose on the mother's freedom.  Just take the fetus away.
>I reply that you can tell a fetus from a child if you take it away from
>its mother, give it to someone who will love it and wants to care for
>it, and see whether it lives or dies.
>
>M. B. Brilliant					Marty

I have to disagree with this test. Medical science is getting closer
and closer to the point that they can keep the fetus alive from
conception out of a womb (or transplanted to another womb).

I happen to be a (female) positive eugenicist. That means I care about
what genes I allow to continue in the race. If a mental retard
raped me and made me pregnant, I would want that fetus killed regardless
of what miracles of medicine could save them because I don't want
to be biologically responsible for allowing genes that I consider
harmful to mankind to be perpetuated.

Eugenics is a very dirty word nowadays, and I expect to get flamed
severely. But I firmly believe that I have a right to want
to choose the father of my children by genetic criteria. No man has
the right to force me to bear his child if I believe his genetic
contribution will damage either the child in particular or my
future genetic lineage.

For those inclined to flame, realize the difference between "positive"
and "negative" eugenics. Negative eugenicists want to sterilize
others carrying "bad" genes. Positive eugenicists are interested only
in trying to increase the frequency of 'good' genes (by their own
definition) through voluntary measures involving the bearers of those
good genes.

So to summarize: I can't accept viability (as defined by modern medicine's
state of the art techniques) as the only criterion for judging whether a
fetus must be saved. I as future parent have more long-term concerns.
--
Melissa Silvestre (melissa@athena.mit.edu)

marty1@houem.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) (10/07/86)

In <1233@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU>, melissa@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Melissa
Silvestre) wrote:
>In article <648@houem.UUCP> marty1@houem.UUCP writes:
>>....  you can tell a fetus from a child if you take it away from
>>its mother, give it to someone who will love it and wants to care for
>>it, and see whether it lives or dies.
>>
>>M. B. Brilliant					Marty
>
>I have to disagree with this test. Medical science is getting closer
>and closer to the point that they can keep the fetus alive from
>conception out of a womb (or transplanted to another womb).
>
>I happen to be a (female) positive eugenicist. That means I care about
>what genes I allow to continue in the race. If a mental retard
>raped me and made me pregnant, I would want that fetus killed regardless
>of what miracles of medicine could save them because I don't want
>to be biologically responsible for allowing genes that I consider
>harmful to mankind to be perpetuated.
>
>Eugenics is a very dirty word nowadays, and I expect to get flamed
>severely. But I firmly believe that I have a right to want
>to choose the father of my children by genetic criteria. No man has
>the right to force me to bear his child if I believe his genetic
>contribution will damage either the child in particular or my
>future genetic lineage.
> .... Negative eugenicists want to sterilize
>others carrying "bad" genes. Positive eugenicists are interested only
>in trying to increase the frequency of 'good' genes (by their own
>definition) through voluntary measures ...

This is a creative response, and I find myself on the other side of the
argument from where I first thought I would be.

I still think viability outside the mother's body is a criterion for
personhood.  If the fetus can be transplanted, that means the mother
can refuse responsibility for it without killing it, and then the state
can protect it without violating its mother's freedom.

For practical purposes, the fetus has become, if viable, a person.  I
don't want the state judging the genetic fitness of a person.  I find
myself echoing the "right-to-lifers" in saying that there is no clear
dividing line between a viable transplantable fetus and a child.  If
you start judging the fitness of a transplantable fetus, you will next
judge the fitness of premature babies, then babies born at term, then
children, then adults.

I echo their question, "where will it end?"  But I have always
answered, "it ends at birth."  When a fetus has been removed from the
womb, it has been "born" (if viable) or "aborted" (if not viable), and
its mother relinquishes control to the state.

The key phrase is "No man has the right to force me to bear his child."
Once you have had the fetus removed from your body, you are no longer
bearing it.  Killing it is, in your own terms, "negative" rather than
"positive" eugenics, and I find it unacceptable.

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201)-949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	ihnp4!houem!marty1

garys@bunker.UUCP (Gary M. Samuelson) (10/08/86)

In article <1233@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU> melissa@trillian.UUCP (Melissa Silvestre) writes:
>In article <648@houem.UUCP> marty1@houem.UUCP writes:
>>... you can tell a fetus from a child if you take it away from
>>its mother, give it to someone who will love it and wants to care for
>>it, and see whether it lives or dies.

>>M. B. Brilliant					Marty

>I have to disagree with this test. Medical science is getting closer
>and closer to the point that they can keep the fetus alive from
>conception out of a womb (or transplanted to another womb).

>I happen to be a (female) positive eugenicist. That means I care about
>what genes I allow to continue in the race. If a mental retard
>raped me and made me pregnant, I would want that fetus killed regardless
>of what miracles of medicine could save them because I don't want
>to be biologically responsible for allowing genes that I consider
>harmful to mankind to be perpetuated.

I don't think you are really disagreeing with Marty's definition of child
vs. fetus; you're just saying that it doesn't matter if it's a
child or a fetus.  You want the fetus killed because it's (possibly)
defective.  Whether it could live if removed doesn't seem relevant,
according to your view.

Suppose that the fetus were removed and transplanted to another
woman who did want it, or hooked it up to a life support system.
Would you still claim a right to have it killed?

And you ignore the possibility that the child of someone mentally
retarded may be quite "normal."  "Normal" parents occassionally
have "retarded" children -- it seems like you haven't even considered
the possibility that "retarded" parents might have "normal" children.

To get to a more likely scenario, if you and your genetically
superior man happen to conceive a less-than-perfect fetus, are
you going to claim the right to have it killed?  Does the opinion
of the father-to-be count?  (Apparently not, judging from the
statement below).

>Eugenics is a very dirty word nowadays, and I expect to get flamed
>severely. But I firmly believe that I have a right to want
>to choose the father of my children by genetic criteria.

You certainly have the right to want to choose the father of your
children by any criteria you find appropriate -- if you grant the
man the right to want to choose the mother of his children by
any criteria he finds appropriate.

>No man has
>the right to force me to bear his child if I believe his genetic
>contribution will damage either the child in particular or my
>future genetic lineage.

Right, you're going to kill the fetus for its own good.  To avoid
what you perceive as 'genetic damage' (which is not by any means
a foregone conclusion, nor utterly preventable), you demand the right
to kill it -- how much more "damaging" can you get?

>For those inclined to flame, realize the difference between "positive"
>and "negative" eugenics. Negative eugenicists want to sterilize
>others carrying "bad" genes. Positive eugenicists are interested only
>in trying to increase the frequency of 'good' genes (by their own
>definition) through voluntary measures involving the bearers of those
>good genes.

I don't see a practical difference -- if anything, what you call
positive eugenics is worse.  You don't want to sterilize the carriers
of bad genes, you want to kill them (only if they are your offspring,
of course).

I have tried not to flame (though I confess I was so inclined).

Why do you suppose 'eugenics' is considered a dirty word?  Might it
be because it reminds people of (how shall I put it -- mustn't use
that other dirty word) previous attempts to 'purify' the race?

Gary Samuelson

melissa@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Melissa Silvestre) (10/08/86)

In article <1234@bunker.UUCP> garys@bunker.UUCP (Gary M. Samuelson) writes:

>Suppose that the fetus were removed and transplanted to another
>woman who did want it, or hooked it up to a life support system.
>Would you still claim a right to have it killed?

Yes. That was (partly) my point in rejecting viability as the criterion.

>And you ignore the possibility that the child of someone mentally
>retarded may be quite "normal."  "Normal" parents occassionally
>have "retarded" children -- it seems like you haven't even considered
>the possibility that "retarded" parents might have "normal" children.

A valid point genetically, but my point was that the genetic gamble
one way or another is mine to make.

>To get to a more likely scenario, if you and your genetically
>superior man happen to conceive a less-than-perfect fetus, are
>you going to claim the right to have it killed?  Does the opinion
>of the father-to-be count?  (Apparently not, judging from the
>statement below).
Absolutely. The opinion of the father does not count. (Warning:
extremely flammable statement ahead:) If a man wants to pass on
his genes and expects that a woman wouldn't want to because they
are defective, he should make a legally binding contract with her
beforehand on the matter. I consider that a man gives up ANY claim
to his sperm (and products thereby) when he *gives* them to the
woman in copulation. Just as he gives up legal claim to a piece
of jewelry if he gives it to her for her birthday. Any other claims
should be established in standard legal ways, primarily by written
contract.

I personally would have to be paid a hell of a lot of money
to sign over my right to abort an unhealthy fetus.

>You certainly have the right to want to choose the father of your
>children by any criteria you find appropriate -- if you grant the
>man the right to want to choose the mother of his children by
>any criteria he finds appropriate.

I would certainly grant him that right, but he already has it. Men
tend to do the ultimate choosing in terms of who he *gives* his
sperm to. It's pretty hard to force it out of him!

>>No man has
>>the right to force me to bear his child if I believe his genetic
>>contribution will damage either the child in particular or my
>>future genetic lineage.
>
>Right, you're going to kill the fetus for its own good.  To avoid
>what you perceive as 'genetic damage' (which is not by any means
>a foregone conclusion, nor utterly preventable), you demand the right
>to kill it -- how much more "damaging" can you get?

How on earth is existing (in the fetus) genetic damage preventable?
It's already happened!

Not for its own good usually. If the child is so flawed that I would
consider aborting it to be for its own good, it must be in such bad shape
that I have all sorts of other interests (like medical costs) which
would lead me to abort it anyway.

>>For those inclined to flame, realize the difference between "positive"
>>and "negative" eugenics. Negative eugenicists want to sterilize
>>others carrying "bad" genes. Positive eugenicists are interested only
>>in trying to increase the frequency of 'good' genes (by their own
>>definition) through voluntary measures involving the bearers of those
>>good genes.
>
>I don't see a practical difference -- if anything, what you call
>positive eugenics is worse.  You don't want to sterilize the carriers
>of bad genes, you want to kill them (only if they are your offspring,
>of course).

Why is that worse? (I don't expect you to defend negative eugenics,
but you did just claim negative is [if anything] better than positive.)

>I have tried not to flame (though I confess I was so inclined).

Thank you. The net needs more rational people like yourself.

>Why do you suppose 'eugenics' is considered a dirty word?  Might it
>be because it reminds people of (how shall I put it -- mustn't use
>that other dirty word) previous attempts to 'purify' the race?

That's exactly why it's a dirty word. That doesn't mean it should be,
however. Love can be a dirty word if used by a rapist to describe
his (twisted) emotions towards his victim, but that doesn't mean that
the word doesn't have a legitimate use.

--

In article <652@houem.UUCP> marty1@houem.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) writes:

>I still think viability outside the mother's body is a criterion for
>personhood.  If the fetus can be transplanted, that means the mother
>can refuse responsibility for it without killing it, and then the state
>can protect it without violating its mother's freedom.

My main problem with that is that modern medicine has (or will soon) reached
the point where NO abortions will be allowed on the basis that the
fetus is viable (can be kept alive outside of the mother for a full 9 months).

I would rather accept an arbitrary time limit, like " you have X months
to determine if the genetic makeup of the fetus is such that you wish to
abort it - beyond that you may not kill it." Where X months is sufficient
for reasonable determinations. Of course, as medicine improves, X may
also drop. Until it does, however, I don't want technical, "miracles-of-
medicine" viability preventing me from making an informed decision.

I'd like to know, how do other pro-choice'ers deal with the fact that
0 months is rapidly becoming the age of viability?

[...]
>I echo their question, "where will it end?"  But I have always
>answered, "it ends at birth."  When a fetus has been removed from the
>womb, it has been "born" (if viable) or "aborted" (if not viable), and
>its mother relinquishes control to the state.

What if a $50 operation = abortion (kills it) but a certain $100,000
procedure can keep it alive at exactly the same stage? Viable according
to what level of medical technology (and what price?)
Would you force me to beggar myself to pay for an operation that
would enable the State to keep the fetus alive until it can be
adopted? Can we as taxpayers afford for the State to pay for
such expensive medical procedures?

I consider these to be very real questions, that need answering before
I can accept viability as my overriding criterion.

>The key phrase is "No man has the right to force me to bear his child."
>Once you have had the fetus removed from your body, you are no longer
>bearing it.  Killing it is, in your own terms, "negative" rather than
>"positive" eugenics, and I find it unacceptable.

I don't understand this at all. HOW I remove it can very well determine
whether it is still alive when I walk out of the clinic. One procedure
costs more money than the other. Who should pay the difference?
Does anyone even have the right to force me (at their financial expense)
to choose one over the other?

>M. B. Brilliant					Marty

Here in the early 1980's, I can accept viability as a good dividing line,
because it still gives me sufficient time to make the choice that I
consider crucial. My concern is that that will not continue to be the
case in the future.
--
Melissa Silvestre (melissa@athena.mit.edu)

amq@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (Amqueue) (10/10/86)

In article <1242@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU> melissa@trillian.UUCP (Melissa Silvestre) writes:

>I'd like to know, how do other pro-choice'ers deal with the fact that
>0 months is rapidly becoming the age of viability?

and

>What if a $50 operation = abortion (kills it) but a certain $100,000
>procedure can keep it alive at exactly the same stage? Viable according
>to what level of medical technology (and what price?)
>Would you force me to beggar myself to pay for an operation that
>would enable the State to keep the fetus alive until it can be
>adopted? Can we as taxpayers afford for the State to pay for
>such expensive medical procedures?
>--
>Melissa Silvestre (melissa@athena.mit.edu)

One of the things pro-lifers say is "But why dont you carry it and then let
it be adopted? Lots of people want to adopt babies." I say: fine, let *them*
take care of it. If I want to abort the thing, it is a safe bet that I want
*nothing further to do with it*. This includes monetary considerations.

The "obvious" solution (ready? :-) is for whatever charitable groups are
advocating adoption to create and sustain creches for these unwanted
growing things until they can be adopted. That way, they bear the burden
for what they are advocating, and people are free to support it or not as
they wish (or can afford). It cant cost that much more to maintain 50
pieces of equipment as it down to maintain 10... certainly not 5 times
more, as much of the overhead can adn will be shared. In fact, they could
do that now, and thus allow abortions even later... remove the now barely
viable creature and give it to somewhere to nurture it. It probably wouldnt
have much more impact than to create legislation claiming that babies (and
I use that word reservedly) could not be "aborted" (should we now say
"removed"?) until *after* they were viable under these considerations, so
that all (or almost all, given potential complications) would be saved.

Sponsor of Our Lady of the Holy Incubator Adoption Agency
(anyone want to join the bandwagon?)
/amqueue

In the meantime, ***KEEP YOUR LAWS OFF MY BODY!!!!!***

marty1@houem.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) (10/11/86)

In <1242@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU>, melissa@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Melissa
Silvestre) asked for other views, but also seemed to ask me a question:

>In article <652@houem.UUCP> marty1@houem.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) writes:
>>
>>I still think viability outside the mother's body is a criterion for
>>personhood.  If the fetus can be transplanted, that means the mother
>>can refuse responsibility for it without killing it, and then the state
>>can protect it without violating its mother's freedom.
>
>My main problem with that is that modern medicine has (or will soon) reached
>the point where NO abortions will be allowed on the basis that the
>fetus is viable (can be kept alive outside of the mother for a full 9 months).
>What if a $50 operation = abortion (kills it) but a certain $100,000
>procedure can keep it alive at exactly the same stage? Viable according
>to what level of medical technology (and what price?)
>Would you force me to beggar myself to pay for an operation that
>would enable the State to keep the fetus alive until it can be
>adopted? Can we as taxpayers afford for the State to pay for
>such expensive medical procedures?

I would not force you to beggar yourself.  My reasoning is similar to
that involved in the care of the terminally ill.  Preserving life is a
fine thing, but our society simply can't afford to preserve all life at
all costs.  The way we go about it, we lose the lives of people who
live in such conditions that they never reach a hospital, and spend
fantastic resources on people who do get in.  I think that's a mistake.

I consider myself to be a pragmatist, hence not absolutist.  A
pragmatist says (oversimplified) if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but
if it don't work, you can't convince me it's right.

If a destructive abortion costs $50 and a nondestructive removal can be
done for $50 more, and a recipient woman is ready and waiting, the
state might well be entitled to tax you the extra $50.  But a system
that would force you to spend an extra $100,000 to preserve something
you could recreate as recreation would be what I call broke.

But as I said before, once the mother is rid of her fetus, the public
interest takes over.  She gets the child if she wants to care for it,
but not if she wants to kill it.  If you want to practice eugenics you
can make your choices privately.  But as soon as the state has a
reasonable (and compelling a woman to complete pregnancy, or spend
$100,000, is not what I call reasonable) chance to participate in the
determination of what human material shall live and what shall die, I
want the state to choose life by law.