[net.sf-lovers] "Invasion of the Star Creatures"

@RUTGERS.ARPA:jcr@mitre-bedford (04/13/85)

From: jcr@Mitre-Bedford

> From: Provan@LLL-MFE.ARPA
>
> It's settled now: I just saw *THE* worst SF movie of all time.  It's
> a 1963 movie called "Invasion of the Star Creatures."  It was every
> bit as bad as "Plan 9 from Outer Space" except it was *trying* to be
> funny.  It ends up being sorta meta-stupid: trying to be stupid and
> being stupid about it.  It was sorta funny in a Zen way.  Nothing
> was really funny, but I had to laugh at myself for watching it
> through to the end.

Gee, I always kind of LIKED this movie; though, admittedly, it's been
years since I've seen it.  This IS the one that stars the two schlepps
who are apparently trying to be a poor man's Abbott & Costello, right?
And is directed by "R. I. Diculous?"  If so, I liked it.  Not as SF
(God forbid!), but as spoof set within an SF framework.  Though I
pretty much have to agree with you, Provan, about its stupidity;
in fact, the more I think about it, the more it strikes me that
"meta-stupid" is the perfect adjective for this movie.  But I
guess I found its silliness sufficiently funny to satisfy me.

My favorite scene occurs when our heroes are outside the cave occupied
by the aliens and are surprised by a band of hostile Indians (of the
native American variety).  I thought this a pretty silly twist, since
the movie is apparently set in the present of 1963.  The Indians tie
up the guys, aiming to burn them at the stake, if memory serves, but
just as time is about to run out for our heroes, the leader of the
Indians spies a Captain Midnight Secret Decoder Ring on the finger
of one of our heroes.  He puts a stop to the impending torture; it
turns out that he, too, has a Captain Midnight Secret Decoder Ring,
so he and our hero are blood-brothers!

Hmmm....  I'm afraid my transliteration of that scene has kind of lost
something.  But I found it tremendously silly.  Almost... Pythonesque!

					 Regards,

					     Jeff Rogers
					     jcr@Mitre-Bedford.ARPA