[net.sf-lovers] SF-LOVERS Digest V10 #118

@RUTGERS.ARPA,@MIT-MC:SE.SAMURAI@MIT-EECS (04/11/85)

From: SE.SAMURAI%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA

Just for what it's worth, the name of the computer in Alien was "Mother,"
though this was a nice, English pronunciation of a system name which was
something like MuThr.  The computer in Rollerball was called Zero and used
bubble memory (real bubbles-like in water).  As for Wargames, who can forget
the incredible WOPR (who cares what it stands for, it sounds just marvelous).

To add a few more computers to your list:

6.  All of the computers in the Twilight Zone episodes (I can remember at least
    two).
7.  The computers which comprised Merlin in H.B. Piper's novels.
8.  The robot/computer systems in Space:1999 (They're an interesting lot, if
    not very realistic.)

					James Kiso
-------

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (mike upmalis) (04/13/85)

In article <1173@topaz.ARPA> @RUTGERS.ARPA,@MIT-MC:SE.SAMURAI@MIT-EECS writes:
>To add a few more computers to your list:
>
>6.  All of the computers in the Twilight Zone episodes (I can remember at least
>    two).
>7.  The computers which comprised Merlin in H.B. Piper's novels.
>8.  The robot/computer systems in Space:1999 (They're an interesting lot, if
>    not very realistic.)

This posting is guarenteed to bring Ben Bova up to 2000+ RPM.

An ill fated low budget Canadian SF show that got the Cordwainer Bird treatment
from Bova and Ellison himself, The Starlost, in what I thought was a good
try for what they had too work with they had the assistance of a talking
computer of a defective ship, I don't recall the name, so some one else
should supply it.....

We live science fiction the old fashioned way, we dream it

--
~~
Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>