[talk.bizarre] The Great Depression

marty@ism780c.UUCP (Marty Smith) (08/14/86)

Once, when I was depressed, I collected empty toilet paper rolls.  By the
time I got back to normal I had over seven hundred.  I kept them in a large
cardboard box that I painted baby blue, like the sky above the clouds
above Seattle.  I made art forms out of them, by gluing them together side
by side but skewed so they were not end to end.  One looked like an abstract
sailing ship, another like an unraveled DNA molecule.  I was going to enter
them in the Puyallup Fair art contest, but I was afraid someone would laugh
at me.  So I stayed home.  It rained that day, and there was a terrible
accident on the same road I would have taken to the fair.  I would've been
dead now, all because I saved that first empty toilet paper roll.  I'm a
lucky man, aren't I?

				Martin Borges Smith

jeffs@quad1.UUCP (Jeff Sonstein) (08/15/86)

> Once, when I was depressed, I collected empty toilet paper rolls.  By the
> time I got back to normal I had over seven hundred.  I kept them in a large
> cardboard box that I painted baby blue, like the sky above the clouds
> above Seattle.
>
> 				Martin Borges Smith

there IS no sky over Seattle (or Eugene, for that matter)... just more
clouds...

inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) (08/18/86)

Marty, Old Bud,

 Once, when you were depressed, you collected empty toilet paper rolls.  By
 the time you got back to normal you had over seven hundred.  You kept them
 in a large cardboard box that you painted baby blue, like the sky above the
 clouds above Seattle.  You made art forms out of them, by gluing them
 together side by side but skewed so they were not end to end.  One looked
 like an abstract sailing ship, another like an unraveled DNA molecule.  You
 were going to enter them in the Puyallup Fair art contest, but you were
 afraid someone would laugh at you.  So you stayed home.  It rained that
 day, and there was a terrible accident on the same road you would have
 taken to the fair.  You would've been dead now, all because you saved that
 first empty toilet paper roll.  You're a lucky man, aren't you?

--
			       Ensign Benson
			       -Space Cadet-

    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-The Digital Circus, Sector R-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (08/23/86)

In article <583@quad1.UUCP> jeffs@quad1.UUCP (Jeff Sonstein) writes:
>> Once, when I was depressed, I collected empty toilet paper rolls.  By the
>> time I got back to normal I had over seven hundred. I kept them in a large
>> cardboard box that I painted baby blue, like the sky above the clouds
>> above Seattle. [...more drizzle, uh drivel...]
>> 				Martin Borges Smith
>there IS no sky over Seattle (or Eugene, for that matter)... just more
>clouds...

Hey! That *is* the sky, whaddya talking about? That blue stuff you see
elsewhere's gotta be somekinna pollution! Not like here's, with the
pure clear drizzle, anna moss, anna slugs (uh,oh)..