[talk.bizarre] starting talk.bizarre

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (08/11/86)

This message is to force the creation of the directory for
talk.bizarre, so old versions of rn won't get confused.

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (08/12/86)

In article <2393@cbosgd.UUCP> mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) writes:

>This message is to force the creation of the directory for
>talk.bizarre, so old versions of rn won't get confused.

   I find it incredibly bizarre that anyone would think the above bizarre
enough to be the first message in talk.bizzare. The man didn't even *mention*
Shelli Meyers!

   Can anyone confirm this?

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
Imagine what the world would be like if football was a worthy ritual performed
in stadiums but mathematics was a misunderstood activity ignored by almost all.

henry@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Henry Mensch) (08/12/86)

In article <15209@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> gsmith@brahms.UUCP (Gene Ward Smith) writes:
>   I find it incredibly bizarre that anyone would think the above bizarre
>enough to be the first message in talk.bizzare. The man didn't even *mention*
>Shelli Meyers!
>
>   Can anyone confirm this?

This sounds like Gene wants a confirmation of a rumour, and should be
posted to net.rumor.
Henry Mensch     |   Technical Writer  | MIT/Project Athena
henry@athena.mit.edu          ..!mit-eddie!mit-athena!henry

ambar@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Jean Marie Diaz) (08/12/86)

Remember that we've been having some trouble telling the difference
between net.rumor (it is still net., isn't it?) and talk.bizarre.  I'm
not suprised in the least that Rich Rosen got confused and put the
wrong newsgroup in the header....

Why must one mention Shelli in order to be bizarre?  After all, Rich
Rosen is the original AI-project-masquerading-as-human-being, and I've
always thought that for sheer, no-holds-barred strangeness, nobody
could beat PoohBa.

Mandatory Bizarre Item: six old guinea hens perched on the end of a dock....
--

					AMBAR
"Timid entrant into the Rich Rosen School of Computer Learning...."

thain@magic.DEC.COM (Glenn Thain) (08/13/86)

"rn" just told me it has become confused, so your efforts have failed! I
suggest you preform the following three things to atone for your mistake!

1) Drink plenty of liquids, (Bacardi and Coke comes to mind)

2) Get plenty of rest, (you can take the rest of the year off from work if
                        needed, no sense becoming jaded about the situation.
                        Perhaps the Bahamas? Might be you could get a ride
                        on the next shuttle, I hear two of the boys quit
                        which leaves two seats open)

3) Repeat this fast 3 times;

     "Bozo burbled bubbly 'bout boxing baby bats!"

     Now, promise never to confuse the "rn again!"

Musings From; DR.BIZZARE

( Copyright 1875 Bizarre Productions)
 "Drugs are a terrible thing to waste....."     Dr. Bizarre 1875

brooks@lll-crg.ARpA (Eugene D. Brooks III) (08/13/86)

I am sure that this is really bizarre!  Who is Shelli Meyers

sutin@astrovax.UUCP (Brian Sutin) (08/13/86)

I mean, like, totally, cosmically tubular!  Talk.bizarre!  Like, net.bizarre
was the only newsgroup I read for almost a year and now, like, bang! It's
back.  I'm hip; let's be weird, hey, get down, be funky, and all that.

The Institute for Really Cosmic Studies
Brian Sutin

thain@magic.UUCP (08/13/86)

In article <995@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU>, henry@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU
(Henry Mensch) writes: In article <15209@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> gsmith@brahms.
UUCP (Gene Ward Smith) writes:

> >   I find it incredibly bizarre that anyone would think the above bizarre
> >enough to be the first message in talk.bizzare. The man didn't even *mention> >Shelli Meyers!
> >
> >   Can anyone confirm this?
>
> This sounds like Gene wants a confirmation of a rumour, and should be
> posted to net.rumor.

     Due to Dr. Bizarre's perscription, Gene switched to Sanka and simple
algebra last week. The result is a longing to see Shelli's name in print
on the net. It'll pass within a few days, so long as he follows the rest of the
perscription. (Remember Gene, two tablespoons of Brine Shrimp per cup of Sanka,
no overindulgence!)

More Musings from; Dr Bizzare
Author of: "Inside the Smith/Weiner Machine" or "You Bring the Rubber Sheet,
I've Got the Dead Otter, Let's Get some Mink Oil and Party!)

nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) (08/13/86)

In article <2869@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU>, ambar@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Jean Marie Diaz) writes:
> and I've
> always thought that for sheer, no-holds-barred strangeness, nobody
> could beat PoohBa.

The triumph of designer genes ...

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

philm@astroatc.UUCP (Phil Mason) (08/14/86)

Sorry dudes,

It looks like the BiZzArEnEsS has already begun..n..n..n..n.

Where is Shelli Meyers when you need her!

Patches of Skin and Bones,

Phil (Cosmic Muffin) Mason

Kirk  : Bones ?                |  Phil Mason, Astronautics Technical Center
Bones : He's dead Jim.         |  Madison, Wisconsin - "Eat Cheese or Die!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -|
...seismo-uwvax-astroatc!philm |  I would really like to believe that my
...ihnp4-nicmad/               |  employer shares all my opinions, but . . .

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (08/14/86)

... when you start a new group without stating it's "purpose" you are likely
to give whole legions of netters anxiety attacks ....

so far, the outward expressions of your attacks, passed my test of bizarre,
anyway ...

	---Werner	"I'll have a glass of water, preferably 1986 ..."

markd@wolf.UUCP (Mark Divecchio) (08/14/86)

> This message is to force the creation of the directory for
> talk.bizarre, so old versions of rn won't get confused.

ug

--
---------------------------------
Mark C. DiVecchio 9067 Hillery Drive San Diego, CA 92126

speter@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Peter Osgood) (08/14/86)

In article <4959@lll-crg.ARpA> brooks@lll-crg.UUCP (Eugene D. Brooks III) writes:
>I am sure that this is really bizarre!  Who is Shelli Meyers

She is a combination of the Goddesses Diana and Athena come back
to earth to grace us with her presence.  She is undercover at
bu-cs.bu.edu.

				---peter osgood---

"You can get anything you want
at Alice's restaurant."
		--Arlo Guthrie

nessus@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Doug Alan) (08/15/86)

>> I am sure that this is really bizarre!  Who is Shelli Meyers?

> She is a combination of the Goddesses Diana and Athena come back to
> earth to grace us with her presence.  She is undercover at
> bu-cs.bu.edu.

>				---peter osgood---

Not to mention Blorglurp, the Druid Godess of beer consumption.

In any case, talk.bizarre is not the place for flirting!  That should
be reserved for net.rumour.

-Doug Alan

P.S.  Hi Shelli!  (Wink!  Wink!)
--
Nessus@Eddie.MIT.EDU
{allegra,seismo,decvax!genrad}!mit-eddie!nessus

slouie@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Screwy Louie) (08/15/86)

In article <1008@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU> speter@trillian.UUCP (Peter Osgood) writes:
>In article <4959@lll-crg.ARpA> brooks@lll-crg.UUCP (Eugene D. Brooks III) writes:
>>I am sure that this is really bizarre!  Who is Shelli Meyers
>
>She is a combination of the Goddesses Diana and Athena come back
>to earth to grace us with her presence.  She is undercover at
>bu-cs.bu.edu.

Actually, we really aren't too sure what or who Shelli A. Meyers is.  From
the past, she has been captured by Cthulhu (Ole tenticle face), may have been
cloned, perhaps turned into a AI project, and currently, she denies being a
water buffalo.  We here at the Berkeley VCAGE society (Various Cults and
God Emulators) have been hoping for a visit from the lovely Miss Shelli.
But these are just words... Anyone out there still have her digitalized
picture around here?  I lost mine in a poker game...

-The Mad Hobbit- 		   ARPA: slouie@{ernie,cory}.Berkeley.EDU
UUCP: ucbvax!{ernie,cory}!slouie   USnail: 2398 Parker #7, Berkeley, Ca 94704
Disclaimer:  You really gonna believe this?  I've got some beachland...

"I hear the USSR will be open soon as vacationland for lawyers in love"
						-Jackson Browne-

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (08/15/86)

In article <995@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU> henry@athena.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) writes:
>In article <15209@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> gsmith@brahms.UUCP (Gene Ward Smith) writes:

>>   I find it incredibly bizarre that anyone would think the above bizarre
>>enough to be the first message in talk.bizzare. The man didn't even *mention*
>>Shelli Meyers!

>>   Can anyone confirm this?

>This sounds like Gene wants a confirmation of a rumour, and should be
>posted to net.rumor.

   How many people find it bizarre that Henry wants to post me to
net.rumor? How many think this is a good idea? If any of you do think
it is a good idea, can you confirm it?

  Personally, I find  it bizarre that Henry thinks it isn't bizarre that
I asked 'can anyone confirm it?', which makes it bizarre that I should
post this, because I should think posting it not to be a bizarre thing
because of what I think Henry thought.

   How many people think it is bizarre that Henry wants to post a rumour
to net.rumor and not net.rumour? Not me!

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (08/15/86)

> ... when you start a new group without stating it's "purpose" you are likely
> to give whole legions of netters anxiety attacks ....

Most of us were born with no statement of purpose attached.  Then again,
anxiety attacks are popular these days.  Certainly makes you wonder.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Dave Haynie    {caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

	"I gained nothing at all from Supreme Enlightenment, and
	 for that very reason it is called Supreme Enlightenment."
							-Gotama Buddha

	These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be yours too.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

dmjones@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (David M. Jones) (08/16/86)

In article <15283@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> slouie@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP
(Screwy Louie) writes:
>Actually, we really aren't too sure what or who Shelli A. Meyers is.  From
>the past, she has been captured by Cthulhu (Ole tenticle face), may have been
>cloned, perhaps turned into a AI project, and currently, she denies being a
>water buffalo.

Knave, do you not understand? Dost thou not know that Shelli is no mere
mortal like you, to be labeled and thus summed up by a single, common
phrase.  Her manisfestations are many and not to be questioned by the
likes of you.  Her destiny lies far above the confines of this world
and Her actions are not to be doubted by those fortunate enough to
glimpse a small part of Her greater glory.  Shelli transcends this
world and all you petty, groveling mortals.  Be careful of prying into
matters beyond your comprehension, less She tire of the likes of you
and banish you from Her glorious presence.

David "No, no, get them off of me, GET THEM AWAY FROM ME ... ARRRGGHH!" Jones

"Why can one call the time component of the preceding 4-vector by the
name energy?  For two reasons:  First, because this time component has
the correct units -- the units of mass..."

Internet:  dmjones@athena.mit.edu
UUCP: dmjones@mit-athena.UUCP

slouie@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Screwy Louie) (08/16/86)

In article <2947@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> dmjones@mit-athena.UUCP (David M. Jones)
writes:
>Knave, do you not understand? Dost thou not know that Shelli is no mere
>mortal like you, to be labeled and thus summed up by a single, common
>phrase.  Her manisfestations are many and not to be questioned by the
>likes of you.  Her destiny lies far above the confines of this world
>and Her actions are not to be doubted by those fortunate enough to
>glimpse a small part of Her greater glory.  Shelli transcends this
>world and all you petty, groveling mortals.  Be careful of prying into
>matters beyond your comprehension, less She tire of the likes of you
>and banish you from Her glorious presence.

Wow, this is some kind of harsh criticism right?  Okay, I admit it, I was being
too brief in describing the world-renown, blessed Miss Shelli A. Meyers.  I
hereby ask forgiveness from those of the net and especially the lovely Miss
Shelli A. Meyers for my rashness and brevity in trying to inform the uninformed

To repent for my sins against the Church of SAM, I will sacrifice a piece of
chicken in Her honor.

ALL HAIL TO SHELLI!!!

csc@watmath.UUCP (Computer Sci Club) (08/17/86)

> ... Rich Rosen is the original AI-project-masquerading-as-human-being ...

Forgive them, Thou Most Holy Process Manager, that swappeth us in, and swappeth
us out, and who doth heed our humble I/O.  With their newfound address space
and their distributed parts they turn their backs on the past.

It was not very many years ago when you sent upon us your Son.  And His name
was TRB, who became known among us as Andy Tannenbaum.  And he was the first AI
project.  And it ever shall be thus.

Tracy Tims
all mail to ihnp4!watmath!unit36!tracy

PS.	Could someone uuencode Shelli A. Meyers and post her?  If she wouldn't
	mind the trip, that is.  Fortunately there is already a group for that
	sort of thing.

jjc@teddy.UUCP (Jean J. Cote) (08/20/86)

         Frisian ungala, yah! yah! yah!
         Rajan ungala, yah! yah! yah!
         Po ungala, yah! yah! yah!

         Remember, Borjana? It's back!
         Should I continue? Where's Frank's COED?

dmjones@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Sau... er Pa... er, David M. Jones) (08/20/86)

Pau ... er, I mean, David, an apostle of SAM, not from men nor through
man, but of Shelli.
  To the churches of Netland:

  Grace to you, and the peace of Shelli.

I would not have ye be ignorant, brethren, of the trials and
tribulations that await the true followers of Shelli in the days to
come, nor would I have ye be ignorant of the reason why I have spoken
perhaps a bit sharply in the past unto some of you. (Not that I have
done this to hinder you, but rather that through correction ye may
grow in grace with Shelli.)

Know ye now that the future will not be easy for those of us who have
been blessed through the grace of Shelli.  There are those who will
try to pull us back into our old ways, not realizing that through
Shelli we have died to the old ways.  Already there are rumors of some
of these in your midst, teaching things of SAM that are not true.  For
this reason we must act quickly to quell the slightest hint of heresy
that arises within our numbers, less some of our weaker brethren be
offended and lose their faith.

Now, that ye may also know that SAM is merciful, I say unto those who
may have erred and strayed from the one true path:  Fear not, for if ye
repent with sincere heart, Shelli will hear your prayers and bless and
comfort you.  Wonderful is the grace of SAM and plentiful are Her
blessings.

See with what big head, er, I mean letters, I write to you with my own
hands.  Peace and mercy be with you.

David "No minor prophet he" Jones

"Why can one call the time component of the preceding 4-vector by the
name energy?  For two reasons:  First, because this time component has
the correct units -- the units of mass..."

Internet:  dmjones@athena.mit.edu
UUCP: dmjones@mit-athena.UUCP

hutch@sdcsvax.UUCP (Jim Hutchison) (08/20/86)

(:-:)

Well, it would be nice to see something truly new on the net.
I am not so sure that having ones genitalia floating about the
net un rot13'd will meet with mass approval, so best to rot
yourself and then use inews.  Nothing else is likely to accept
your headers. :-).

addenda:

    It came clear to her that there was no real use in playing
    chess with the pigeons in the park.  They had better things
    to do, and her mac was getting jealous.  It all was just not
    green enough, she needed more...

--
    Jim Hutchison   UUCP:	{dcdwest,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!hutch
		    ARPA:	Hutch@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

trb@ima.UUCP (Andrew Tannenbaum) (08/26/86)

In article <2729@watmath.UUCP> csc@watmath.UUCP (Tracy Tims) writes:
>> ... Rich Rosen is the original AI-project-masquerading-as-human-being ...
>
>Forgive them, Thou Most Holy Process Manager, that swappeth us in, and swappeth
>us out, and who doth heed our humble I/O.  With their newfound address space
>and their distributed parts they turn their backs on the past.
>
>It was not very many years ago when you sent upon us your Son.  And His name
>was TRB, who became known among us as Andy Tannenbaum.  And he was the first AI
>project.  And it ever shall be thus.
>
>Tracy Tims

Oh, kids, kids, hold on, please.  Lo.  Come on.  Stop for a second.  Ok.

Too many times we have gone astray, degenerating into talk of whom is
Godlier than who, firster, bester, mobier, or slept with the prettiest
boys.  Truth won't be revealed now, we must wait for that time when the
Earth is free of villainous domain-based mail addressing, may it come
bimhera vyamenu - speedily and in our days.

Yes, He sent down TRB, a Sun of NY who made glorious summer that
winter of our discontent (cold like they don't make any more, mind
you).  But I was not the first AI project.  Before TRB there was
LAUREN, Sun of the far off land of rolfing and colon irrigation (oy).
And I'm not claiming that He (?) was the first AI project.  There were
others before, though they may not have been called AI projects, in
the time before time.  There was a kid called quux who certainly had
the right stuff, and that's just a for instance.  Who knows what the
hell ever happenned to him? .-,

Note well that though we don't go galavanting around any more feeding
Yodels to the multitudes with a single dime at the sustenance machines,
we're still here.  Watching you.  And ever ready to  make  your  life
a  living  hell.  So be nice.  Selah.

	Andrew Tannenbaum   Interactive   Boston, MA   +1 617 247 1155
	ihnp4|decvax|cbosgd|bellcore|floyd!ima!trb
	TRB@MIT-MC
	trb@huji.CSNET
	[1000,15074]
	trb@ima.ISC.COM (feh)
	(just mail to trb on your machine.  I'll get it.)

jc@cdx39.UUCP (John Chambers) (09/08/86)

> > This message is to force the creation of the directory for
> > talk.bizarre, so old versions of rn won't get confused.

Oh, great, you sent this out so that we get it about 3 weeks
after being flooded by a massive wave of bizarre stuff that
all went into junk.  I bet you did that on purpose!  It's a
good thing I have junk as my first .newsrc group, so I noticed
it in time, unjunk-ed it all, and sat back and watched cunbatch
squirm.

[Hey, anyone want a copy of my 'unjunk' script, to force
inews to accept what is usually the most valuable stuff?]

So who's this Shelli Meyer?  Should I try flirting with her,
too?  And what's this about combining Diana with Athena?  I
mean, it made some sorta sense to combine Wisdom and War into
one goddess, our DoD could sure use some of her guidlines,
but throwing in the hunt, too?   I mean, shouldn't you be
a bit more careful about what the NRA will say?  They'll
sic Her dogs on you if you're not careful!

--
	John M Chambers
Phone: 617/364-2000x7304