[talk.bizarre] read it and see!!!

wesommer@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (William Sommerfeld) (09/06/86)

In article <39@houligan.UUCP> bseymour@houligan.UUCP (Burch Seymour) writes:
>For lack of a better place to vent my spleen... I was in a local
>shopping mall yesterday (Sep 1, 1986 - Labor Day) and what did I see??
>Christmas Decorations, complete with Santa's Hut (castle, shack, or
>whatever they call it there). Ferchrisakes, I can remember when they
>waited till thanksgiving to trot out that stuff. Then it was
>Halloween, but Labor Day!!!!

Just a couple nights ago, I heard a number of new fresh{men,women} and
a few sophmores singing Christmas carols (Twelve Days of Christmas and
Jingle Bells) in the Infinite Corridor at MIT.  I've heard a rumour
that there's a conspiracy afoot to swap the dates of Thanksgiving and
Christmas.  Does anyone other than myself see a connection between
this and the Crazy Eddie Christmas sale in August commercials??  Can
anyone confirm this?

					Bill Sommerfeld
				  ARPA: wesommer@athena.mit.edu
				  UUCP: ...!mit-eddie!mit-athena!wesommer

... and a freshman stuck upon the great dome.

rlk@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Robert L Krawitz) (09/06/86)

In article <1097@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU> wesommer@mit-athena.UUCP (William Sommerfeld) writes:
>In article <39@houligan.UUCP> bseymour@houligan.UUCP (Burch Seymour) writes:
>>For lack of a better place to vent my spleen... I was in a local
>>shopping mall yesterday (Sep 1, 1986 - Labor Day) and what did I see??
>>Christmas Decorations, complete with Santa's Hut (castle, shack, or
>>whatever they call it there). Ferchrisakes, I can remember when they
>>waited till thanksgiving to trot out that stuff. Then it was
>>Halloween, but Labor Day!!!!
>
>Just a couple nights ago, I heard a number of new fresh{men,women} and
>a few sophmores singing Christmas carols (Twelve Days of Christmas and
>Jingle Bells) in the Infinite Corridor at MIT.  I've heard a rumour
>that there's a conspiracy afoot to swap the dates of Thanksgiving and
>Christmas.  Does anyone other than myself see a connection between
>this and the Crazy Eddie Christmas sale in August commercials??  Can
>anyone confirm this?

I can't confirm or deny this.  I am authorized to state, however, that
there is a conspiracy to swap the dates of Christmas and Easter.
However, I am absolutely forbidden to state who authorized me to
reveal this information.

>... and a freshman stuck upon the great dome.

Hmm!  So THAT's what <whoever> wanted the electronic blueprint for!
(<whoever> doesn't read netgnuz).  Intriguing.
--
Robert^Z

awr@panda.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (09/07/86)

In article <1097@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU> wesommer@mit-athena.UUCP (William Sommerfeld) writes:
>Just a couple nights ago, I heard a number of new fresh{men,women} and
>a few sophmores singing Christmas carols (Twelve Days of Christmas and
>Jingle Bells) in the Infinite Corridor at MIT.  I've heard a rumour
>that there's a conspiracy afoot to swap the dates of Thanksgiving and
>Christmas...

It's Christmas and Halloween that are going to be swapped.  That's because
25 DEC == 31 OCT.

AWR

devinney@sunybcs.UUCP (George DeVinney) (09/09/86)

In article <1098@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU> rlk@athena.MIT.EDU writes:
>In article <1097@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU> wesommer@mit-athena.UUCP (William Sommerfeld) writes:
>>>whatever they call it there). Ferchrisakes, I can remember when they
>>>waited till thanksgiving to trot out that stuff. Then it was
>>>Halloween, but Labor Day!!!!
>>
>>Just a couple nights ago, I heard a number of new fresh{men,women} and
>>a few sophmores singing Christmas carols (Twelve Days of Christmas and
>>Jingle Bells) in the Infinite Corridor at MIT.  I've heard a rumour
>>that there's a conspiracy afoot to swap the dates of Thanksgiving and
>>Christmas.  Does anyone other than myself see a connection between
>>this and the Crazy Eddie Christmas sale in August commercials??  Can
>>anyone confirm this?
>>

>I can't confirm or deny this.  I am authorized to state, however, that
>there is a conspiracy to swap the dates of Christmas and Easter.
>However, I am absolutely forbidden to state who authorized me to
>reveal this information.

No No No!!! Better to swap xmas & thanksgiving ..... then the shopping
seasongoes from 12/25 to the next Nov.  Good for businness.

bjg@im4u.UUCP (Bart J. Geraci) (09/10/86)

>>                                                I've heard a rumour
>>that there's a conspiracy afoot to swap the dates of Thanksgiving and
>>Christmas...
>
>It's Christmas and Halloween that are going to be swapped.  That's because
>25 DEC == 31 OCT.
>
>AWR

And for those who engage in base 9, Thanksgiving this year falls on
November 27th, leading to the nifty 3-member equivalence:

    25 DEC == 27 NOV == 31 OCT

    -bj-
--

bart j. geraci
{ctvax,gatech,harvard,ihnp4,seismo}!ut-sally!im4u!bjg