[net.sf-lovers] Another Lensman Story?

ran@ho95b.UUCP (RANeinast) (04/15/85)

In "Expanded Universe", Heinlein, in a tribute to
E. E. (Doc) Smith, says that there was to have
been a seventh novel (not "Masters of the Vortex"--that
seems to me to be a side-stream novel), that
Smith had it all worked out in detail (but not
necessarily written down), and that he told Heinlein
the ending.  All Heinlein says about it is that
the ending "develops by inescapable logic from
clues in CHILDREN OF THE LENS."

Anybody out there know anything else?  Does the story
exist?  What are the clues?  I have a few ideas
but would like to see what all of you think.

--

". . . and shun the frumious Bandersnatch."
Robert Neinast (ihnp4!ho95b!ran)

chenr@tilt.FUN (Ray Chen) (04/16/85)

In article <367@ho95b.UUCP> ran@ho95b.UUCP (RANeinast) writes:
>In "Expanded Universe", Heinlein, in a tribute to
>E. E. (Doc) Smith, says that there was to have
>been a seventh novel (not "Masters of the Vortex"--that
>seems to me to be a side-stream novel), that
>Smith had it all worked out in detail (but not
>necessarily written down), and that he told Heinlein
>the ending.  All Heinlein says about it is that
>the ending "develops by inescapable logic from
>clues in CHILDREN OF THE LENS."
>
>Anybody out there know anything else?  Does the story
>exist?  What are the clues?  I have a few ideas
>but would like to see what all of you think.

Can you say "story cycle"?  I thought you could.

From the clues in COTL:

1)  The Kinnison kids will find a planet and settle down in a nice,
    loving, incestous relationship and be the Guardians of Civilization
    in their spare time.

2)  After a long period of time, a new threat to civilization will
    develop:  one that the Guardians won't be able to handle
    by themselves.

3)  The Guardians will then attempt to breed a race to supplant them as
    the Guardians of Civilization.

4)  As a by-product of the struggle and hardship necessary to
    produce such a new race, I think the old Civilization will be
    partially or totally destroyed.

5)  The races involved in the breeding plan will of necessity become
    the primary moving forces behind the new Civilization much as
    the Rigellians, Tellurians (humans to you uneducated people),
    Velantians, and Palanians are the primary movers in the present
    Civilization.

6)  Steps 1-5 have already happened as the reader is presumably a
    third-level intellect of the new race.

7)  What is left is the presumably final confrontation followed by
    the "passing on" of the current Guardians of Civilization.

Note:	There are actually two separate Civilizations.  The Civilization
	that the readers know as CIVILIZATION and the civilization of the
	Guardians.  Due to the fact that full knowledge of the function
	and purpose of the Guardians would damage an immature civilization
	(read less than third level) badly, the two civilizations will
	remain essentially separate with the mature civilization functioning
	as Guardian to the immature one.  Those who reach the third level
	would probably live a "normal" lifetime and then simply fade away
	to join the Guardians.  Given the amount of time between major
	threats, the Guardians will probably include more humans
	and members of other various races.  My theory is also that
	most of humanity (and some other races) will be destroyed.
	Instead of attempting to prevent damage to the current
	Civilization by premature intevention, the Guardians will
	instead allow the immature Civilization to "suffer".  The
	prime movers of the immature Civilization will of necessity
	bear the brunt of the damage done as they will be the prime
	targets for those wishing to corrupt or weaken the current
	Civilization and they will be the ones doing most of the
	resisting.  The new threat will mark the beginning of the
	decline of the human race (and other races) as we know it.

I don't think anything I've outlined is too far-fetched as I believe I
can back up *everything* I've proposed.  I can also understand Smith's
belief that NOBODY would publish this story.  Talk about depressing.
Most (if not all) of the conventional human race either gets killed off
or subverted before some new race(s) rise to pull the fat out of the
fire.  Then at the end of the story, the Tellurian (and other)
Guardians of Civlization will either wander off into some other
dimension or commit mass suicide depending on your interpretation.
Nice, huh?  I have to admit, though, that I wish Smith had written the
story.  I'd like to read it for real.

	Ray Chen
	princeton!tilt!chenr