[talk.bizarre] LA and the IBM 1130

primer_b@husc4.harvard.edu (jeremy primer) (01/10/87)

Like most absurities, this one from Dr. B. Litow REALLY comes from IBM:

>Report from the City of Our Lady of the Angels: (So. Pasadena)
>(official statewide designators for the chief regions of California)
>1. NOCAL  begins at Santa Barbara and ends at the North Pole.
>2. SOCAL  begins around the VICTORY DRIVE exit of the PASADENA FREEWAY and
>ends in the twilight zone.
>3. LOCAL  begins south of LA (whatever that means) and ends in Peru.

IBM etymology (c. 1960):

// XEQ PROGR L  2
*LOCAL SUBA,SUBB,SUBC
*NOCAL DEBUG

tells an IBM 1130 to load and XEQute the program PROGR, that  |
the subroutines SUBA, SUBB, SUBC are not needed               |
simultaneously, so they should be fetched from disk into the  | LOCAL
Load On CALl area whenever they are called.  Remember, the    |
core memory--made of core--is only 16K or 32K.  Overlay city. |

Also, load DEBUG in as part of the executable image even      |
though PROGR never calls it--that's NO CAll Load--and we'll   | NOCAL
just toggle some switches on the front panel to invoke the    |
DEBUGger if anything goes wrong.                              |

SOCAL is not something the programmer does, but something     |
the IBM 1130 does to the programmer.  If s/he just said       |

// XEQ PROGR                                                  | SOCAL

and didn't tell the operating system which subroutines to     | [the
LOCAL (overlay) and the whole thing ran out of core, the      |  booby
object loader would create its own overlays.  System load On  |  prize]
CALl.  The I/O routines come into core when PROGR wants to    |
do I/O, the disk I/O when PROGR does disk I/O (I haven't      |
told you how to do that--next posting :-), and the            |
arithmetic routines when PROGR is calculating.  SOCALs also   |
happen in the presence of your LOCALs, if PROGR is Just Too   |
Big and Stupid (cf. Mikki 'n' Pooh's adventures).             |

No, it won't fit in your bedroom.

Somewhere between Victory Drive and the Pasadena Freeway is
where the worst bottlenecks must occur, if the So. Pasadena
hack-o-crats built California as a faithful respresentation
of an IBM 1130.

	Jeremy primer@husc4.harvard.edu

artm@phred.UUCP (01/12/87)

        *** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR ANTIQUE ***

The basic 1130 had all of 8K of core memory, not 16K.
Overlay city indeed!  And with the world's slowest disk drive
to boot.

Actually, it would fit in your bedroom (it was about the size of an
office desk) but the air conditioner would be another matter.

Anyone out there ever summon up the guts to yank the "emergency-pull"
knob and find out what happens?

                                                     Art Marriott
                                                     Physio-Control
                                                     tikal!phred!artm
"Look alive, here comes a buzzard!"

brian@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Brian Kantor) (01/14/87)

In article <951@phred.UUCP> artm@phred.UUCP (Art "Faster! Faster!" Marriott) writes:
>The basic 1130 had all of 8K of core memory, not 16K.
>Anyone out there ever summon up the guts to yank the "emergency-pull"
>knob and find out what happens?

Yeah, I did.  It came off in my hand.  I still have it at home, along
with some parts from the CDC3600 and CDC160A that used to sit near it.
Memorabilia.

Oh yeah, the power did die.
	- Brian

mmb@lzaz.UUCP (01/14/87)

In article <980@husc6.UUCP>, primer_b@husc4.harvard.edu (jeremy primer) writes:
> IBM etymology (c. 1960):
>
> // XEQ PROGR L  2
> *LOCAL SUBA,SUBB,SUBC
> *NOCAL DEBUG
>
> tells an IBM 1130 to load and XEQute the program PROGR, that  |
not with out a job card it don't
> the subroutines SUBA, SUBB, SUBC are not needed               |
> simultaneously, so they should be fetched from disk into the  | LOCAL
> Load On CALl area whenever they are called.  Remember, the    |
> core memory--made of core--is only 16K or 32K.  Overlay city. |
16k !!  32k !!!!!!!!
Boy you really had a big one! My high school had one of these dream machines.
The first personal computer, built in letter quality printer, built in hard
drive, came with it's own desk, 4k of core, and compiled fortran(talk about disk
activity).

GET AWAY FROM THAT EOJ BUTTON!!

					Maurice M. Burns, Esq.
					Squire of Gothos

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (01/15/87)

In article <951@phred.UUCP>, artm@phred.UUCP writes:

>         *** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR ANTIQUE ***
>
> The basic 1130 had all of 8K of core memory, not 16K.
> Overlay city indeed!  And with the world's slowest disk drive
> to boot.

Wait a minute, I think there were 16K bytes of data, but there
were 8K words of core.  Unfortunately my old 1130 manual is buried
somewhere at my parent's house, therefore not readily available.

> Anyone out there ever summon up the guts to yank the "emergency-pull"
> knob and find out what happens?

I HEARD that the IBM CE has to come in and reset it for starters.

--
Kenneth Ng: Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp !ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!argus!ken

Gillian: "Are you sure you won't change your mind?"
Spock: "Is there something wrong with the one I have?"

fehr@milano.UUCP (01/15/87)

In article <706@argus.UUCP>, ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) writes:
> In article <951@phred.UUCP>, artm@phred.UUCP writes:
>
> > Anyone out there ever summon up the guts to yank the "emergency-pull"
> > knob and find out what happens?
>
> I HEARD that the IBM CE has to come in and reset it for starters.
>
> >                                                      Art Marriott

I don't know about the 1130, but my old System 3's "panic button" has to
be reset by means of a little disassembly.  BTW, if anyone has a spare
"emergency-pull" knob, please let me know.  after 15 years, the plastic
becomes a bit brittle...  John

arpa: @fehr@sw.mcc.com

ybmcu@cunyvm.bitnet.UUCP (01/15/87)

In article <951@phred.UUCP>, artm@phred.UUCP says:

>Anyone out there ever summon up the guts to yank the "emergency-pull"
>knob and find out what happens?

Yes.  (But only with the power off first.)  It had a click stop that
theoretically meant you had to call IBM to reset it.  Of course, if
you took off the back plate, you could easily jiggle it and reset
it yourself.

It was a good way to make sure that if you went away for a little while,
you wouldn't come back and find somebody else using YOUR machine.

Ben Yalow
BITNET: YBMCU@CUNYVM
Pick a gateway, any gateway ...

petel@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Pete Lancashire) (01/15/87)

In article <951@phred.UUCP>, artm@phred.UUCP writes:
> The basic 1130 had all of 8K of core memory, not 16K.
> Overlay city indeed!  And with the world's slowest disk drive
> to boot.
>
> Actually, it would fit in your bedroom (it was about the size of an
> office desk) but the air conditioner would be another matter.
Don't remember the need for A/C but the standard 1130 had a 3-phase power
supply that if you lost a phase the power supply would do interesting
things...(see next comment)

> Anyone out there ever summon up the guts to yank the "emergency-pull"
> knob and find out what happens?
yep, (see above), not much on the 1130. If you want to know about the kill
switch, ask what happens when you hit the kill on a big 360 (if it had not
been disabled).

Actually there are quite a few 1130's running in homes, kind of like
having  a car that is the same as the one you first had or loved.

I almost got one myself, you can get a loaded 1130 for free in most cases.
There are still quite a few being used.

Pete Lancashire   petel@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM

dbb@aicchi.UUCP (Burch) (01/16/87)

My first computer job was a summer job with the school district.  They
had a 8K 1130, a 1442 Reader/Punch, and some sort of printer (I don't
remember which).  We ran RPG and had to endlessly sort cards on a beat-up
73 sorter...  Gosh! And here I set at my Macintosh, just 13 years later!

--
-David B. (Ben) Burch
 Analysts International Corp.

"Argue for your limitations, and they are yours"

sl@van-bc.UUCP (01/17/87)

In article <706@argus.UUCP> ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) writes:
>In article <951@phred.UUCP>, artm@phred.UUCP writes:
>> to boot.
>
>> Anyone out there ever summon up the guts to yank the "emergency-pull"
>> knob and find out what happens?
>
>I HEARD that the IBM CE has to come in and reset it for starters.

No, but one day after school, after the teacher had left I did try diverting
all input / output to the console (a selectric type). Only problem was while
there was a way to do this, there was apparently no way to go back to using
the card reader, printer.

That DID need an IBM CE to come and reload the disk pack! Took him about
two hours as I remember, and several boxes of punch cards.

--
Stuart Lynne	ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532
Todays feature: The Problem of the Green Capsule, John Dickson Carr, 1939

david@dhw68k.UUCP (01/17/87)

In article <980@husc6.UUCP>, primer_b@husc4.harvard.edu (jeremy primer) writes:
> [...]
>IBM etymology (c. 1960):
>
> // XEQ PROGR L  2
> *LOCAL SUBA,SUBB,SUBC
> *NOCAL DEBUG
>
> tells an IBM 1130 to load and XEQute the program PROGR, that  |
> the subroutines SUBA, SUBB, SUBC are not needed               |
> simultaneously, so they should be fetched from disk into the  | LOCAL
> Load On CALl area whenever they are called.  Remember, the    |
> core memory--made of core--is only 16K or 32K.  Overlay city. |

The 1130 I worked on (my first exposure to computers -- probably warped
my mind permanently!  :-) ) had only 8K (16-bit words, of course)....
I remember getting the source for the 1130 Macro Assembler (Mod 10, I
think); I couldn't assemble it -- a friend of mine found an 1130 with
the unbelievably large core size of 32K and managed to assemble it.  (I
still have the listing...!)

(You know, in many ways, it was really a "personal computer" -- single-
user, and all that.  Somehow, though, I like the computer I'm using now
a LOT better though....)

Anyone out there know what sort of relationship existed between the
1130 and the 360/44?  (From what I have seen in books, it looked as if
the /44 might have been designed to wean 1130 users to the s/360.  I
believe that USC ("C" == "California", not "Carolina") had one....)

david
--
David H. Wolfskill   uucp: ...{trwrb | hplabs}!felix!dhw68k!david
This .signature file attempts to be self-referential, but fails (or does it?).

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (01/19/87)

In article <284@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
[edited old stuff about IBM 1130]
> No, but one day after school, after the teacher had left I did try diverting
> all input / output to the console (a selectric type). Only problem was while
> there was a way to do this, there was apparently no way to go back to using
> the card reader, printer.
Sounds like when I made the console typewriter go from black to red, and
I couldn't figure out how to get it back to black.

> That DID need an IBM CE to come and reload the disk pack! Took him about
> two hours as I remember, and several boxes of punch cards.

Yup, it takes about 2 hours, about 20 minutes to load the first couple of
trays in, and about 1.5 hours or so to load all the library routines with
the @#%#^ console typing the name for each and every module.  I used to
play around with the 1130 quite a bit, blowing away the OS about once a
week or so.  Therefore the instructor showed me how to reload the OS
from cards.

I'm curious, did anyone ever substitute that cold start card with a
card that makes the console lights blink "TILT" on some unsuspecting
student?

--

petel@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Pete Lancashire) (01/21/87)

In article <715@argus.UUCP>, ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) writes:
> In article <284@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
> [edited old stuff about IBM 1130]
>
> I'm curious, did anyone ever substitute that cold start card with a
> card that makes the console lights blink "TILT" on some unsuspecting
> student?

No tilt, but what fun with the 1132 printer, not very fast (damn slow) but
boy could you make the thing dance...

    //EXEC
    //IOCS(1132 PRINTER, .... that's all I remember

Pete Lancashire   petel@teksce.SCE.TEK

madd@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (01/30/87)

In article <895@aicchi.UUCP> dbb@aicchi.UUCP (Burch) writes:
>My first computer job was a summer job with the school district.  They
>had a 8K 1130, a 1442 Reader/Punch, and some sort of printer (I don't
>remember which).  We ran RPG and had to endlessly sort cards on a beat-up
>73 sorter...  Gosh! And here I set at my Macintosh, just 13 years later!

My first computer job was on an IBM System/32.  It had <gasp> a 13Mb disk
(only 3ft across, mind you) instead of puch cards by the time I got there.
It also spoke (and still speaks) RPG II.  I didn't know anyone else still
knew RPG.  How about swapping H,F,E,L,I,C, and O specs?  I always liked
the interesting flow-control in RPG.

And what am I on now?  IBM PC/AT w/ 4 slave processors.  Pretty good
improvement, I'd say.

Jim Frost
Various Employers and Associated Organizations
madd@bucsf.bu.edu
..!harvard!bu-cs!bucsf!madd

rees@apollo.UUCP (01/30/87)

I used to have an IBM system 3 at home.  Not quite as antique as the 1130,
but still the first IBM "personal computer" on the block.  It had one of
those red emergency power cutoff knobs.  It is indeed a pain to reset after
it's been pulled, but you can do it yourself if you're clever.

peter@utah-cs.UUCP (02/13/87)

I think the 1130 clone you are talking about was the "Meta-4" (yuk, yuk),
and I think the machine was built by DSC (Digital Scientific Corp.???).
By the name you might guess it was to be the answer to emulating all
know architectures.  It was a neat little machine and provided me with
my first exposure to microcode.  Instead of the 1130 console it had
a spiffy selectric golfball typewriter as the console.

Every programmer should learn to program in that environment.  You
learn the  "think first, hack later" rule when it takes a while (hah!)
to get a compiler loaded, let alone started on compiling.

It was also my first exposure to  the lousy power we had in the
area (South of Boston), since it needed to be cold started
every day at 9:40am, whether it showed any signs of a crash or
not.  This turned out to be due to a daily power sag, which
was not enouhg to trip the power fail circuits.

Peter Ford (peter@cs.utah.edu).