[talk.bizarre] Which is hotter?

tr@wind.UUCP (09/15/87)

Neat!  A new newsgroup.  Well, let's get things started.  Which do you
folks think generates a hotter flame, a cigarette lighter or a
cardboard match?

Name:		Tom Reingold
Disclaimer:	Nothing I say is an opinion.
INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
UUCP: 		<backbone>!bellcore!tr

netnews@cu-den.UUCP (09/16/87)

In article <2515@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@wind.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:
>Neat!  A new newsgroup.  Well, let's get things started.  Which do you
>folks think generates a hotter flame, a cigarette lighter or a
>cardboard match?

   My personal opinion is that the lighter would be hotter since it is
maintained by gas.

--
Robert M. Sklar - News Administrator @ CU-Denver
UUCP: {whatever}!boulder!cu-den!netnews

david@ukma.UUCP (09/16/87)

In article <2515@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@wind.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:
>Neat!  A new newsgroup.  Well, let's get things started.  Which do you
>folks think generates a hotter flame, a cigarette lighter or a
>cardboard match?

uh ...

	The IBM PC family sucks river water?
--
<---- David Herron,  Local E-Mail Hack,  david@ms.uky.edu, david@ms.uky.csnet
<----                    {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

sean@ukma.UUCP (09/16/87)

In article <7264@e.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) writes:
>In article <2515@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@wind.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:
>>Neat!  A new newsgroup.  Well, let's get things started.  Which do you
>>folks think generates a hotter flame, a cigarette lighter or a
>>cardboard match?
>
>uh ...
>
>	The IBM PC family sucks river water?

This is being too kind.  The corrected sentence is:

	THE IBM PC family sucks canal water.
                                -----

--
--  Sean Casey                    sean@ms.uky.edu,    {uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!sean
--  (the Empire guy)              sean@ms.uky.csnet,  sean@UKMA.BITNET

klm@munsell.UUCP (09/16/87)

In article <2515@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@wind.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:
>Neat!  A new newsgroup.  Well, let's get things started.  Which do you
>folks think generates a hotter flame, a cigarette lighter or a
>cardboard match?

Naw... over in rec.humor everybody knows that the hottest flames come
from illiterate, obnoxious, overbearing, pea-brained, right wing,
religious fanatic, Oliver North supporting, Dave Barry hating assholes
who have no idea what the hell they're talking about. :-) :-) :-)

How *did* these people get net access anyway? :-)

--
Kevin McBride          |Disclaimer: My       | harvard -\
insert name of company | employer don't want | ll-xn ---adelie----> munsell!klm

schung@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (09/16/87)

In article <763@cu-den.UUCP> netnews@cu-den.Colorado.EDU (Usenet News) writes:
>   My personal opinion is that the lighter would be hotter since it is
>maintained by gas.

This shows that you have no knowledge of physics.  Hotness depends on a lot
of things, such as oxygen supply, combustion, air pressure, external 'hotness'
etc. etc. etc.

bobmon@iucs.UUCP (09/17/87)

In article <2515@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@wind.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:
>Neat!  A new newsgroup.  Well, let's get things started.  Which do you
>folks think generates a hotter flame, a cigarette lighter or a
>cardboard match?

You pustulent tribble-molesting gnurd!!!!  If you had the brains Cod gave
IBM-Manual-writers, you'd know to just type ctrl-N after an article posted
by each, and see for yourself which generated the hotter flames!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(I feel emphatic...)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eh@amdahl.UUCP (09/17/87)

In article <4691@iucs.UUCP> bobmon@iucs.UUCP (RAMontante [condition that I not be identified]) writes:
>You pustulent tribble-molesting gnurd!!!!  If you had the brains Cod gave
>IBM-Manual-writers, you'd know to just type ctrl-N after an article posted
>by each, and see for yourself which generated the hotter flames!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(I feel emphatic...)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please illuminate we, I feel so ignorant reading your sophisticated discourse.

1)  What does "pustulent" mean? Or did you actually mean "pustulant"?

2)  Just what exactly is a "gnurd"? How do I tell if I am in fact one or not?

3)  I know that fish is supposed to be brain food, but exactly what kind of
    brains does Cod give the writers of computer manuals? How about other
    species of fish? Should I change my diet?

4)  Doesn't one actually have to do some READING to evaluate which type of
    article generates hotter flames? Wouldn't several Control-N's be required
    for a really thorough (if still someone subjective) comparison?

I await your enlightened reply.

rs1@ihlpa.UUCP (09/17/87)

In article <3765@zen.berkeley.edu>, schung@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Stephen the Greatest) writes:
> In article <763@cu-den.UUCP> netnews@cu-den.Colorado.EDU (Usenet News) writes:
> >   My personal opinion is that the lighter would be hotter since it is
> >maintained by gas.
> >

> This shows that you have no knowledge of physics.  Hotness depends on a lot
> of things, such as oxygen supply, combustion, air pressure, external 'hotness'
> etc. etc. etc.

Get your high and mighty intellectual crap out of here. Go back to
sci.phys.geeks.

Roger Sersted

Damn line counter

alcmist@well.UUCP (09/17/87)

>This shows that you have no knowledge of physics.  Hotness depends on a lot
>of things, such as oxygen supply, combustion, air pressure, external 'hotness'
>etc. etc. etc.
So what?  The PC family is still a line of bilge pumps.

--
Fred Wamsley  {dual,hplabs}!well!alcmist;well!alcmist@lll-crg.arpa;
CIS 72247,3130; GEnie FKWAMSLEY;ATT Mail fwamsley; other uucp

alastair@geovision.UUCP (Alastair Mayer) (09/20/87)

In article <2515@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@wind.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:
>Neat!  A new newsgroup.  Well, let's get things started.  Which do you
>folks think generates a hotter flame, a cigarette lighter or a
>cardboard match?

Well, we need to pin a few things down.    Do you mean cigarette lighter
fueled by butane, or by lighter fluid (whatever hydrocarbon that might be)?
(Since you say flame, we can rule out electric automobile cigarette lighters).
And by cardboard match, do you mean when the cardboard is burning, or
during the ignition phase when the chemicals (potassium chlorate and
something?) are burning?
(Does it, in fact, make a difference?)

For that matter, what do you mean by "hotter"?  Higher temperature, or
greater caloric content (temperature * specific heat of the flame
products * their mass).

Probably, since the flame colours are much the same, the temperatures
are all pretty close within a couple hundred degrees.  But that's a guess.
--
 Alastair JW Mayer     BIX: al
                      UUCP: ...!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!geovision!alastair

 "What we really need is a good 5-cent/gram launch vehicle."