[talk.bizarre] The Passing of Eric Mading - an AI gone bad .

ram@elmgate.UUCP (11/12/87)

Well folks, it happened.

Apparently the sysops at puff got wind of Eric Mading's sensless bigotted
driveling onto the net, and cut him off. At the balls, I believe.

His account is gone.

This unfortunately means that we lose one of our greatest sources of
entertainment that we have had for some time.  We can not even flame him,
since he can no longer even read mail.  Sigh.  Just when I was warming
up for some first class white hot Eric Flammage, he is gone.

The real tragedy of this all, is that Eric was such a _promising_ AI
program.  He had achieved self-awareness, he had developed an ego,
albeit a rather twisted one.  He had developed a value system, although
that was truly warped and bigotted.  In short, he was fun to have around,
beacuse he gave us someone we could all despise.

Unfortunately, Eric has been dumped to tape and stuffed away to moulder
in some dusty archive somewhere.  His creators will go off and ponder
what they could do better the next time.  Perhaps their next efforts
will prove more viable.

Maybe they will be able to post some silly stuff to talk.bizarre .

BTW, Hi Terri.  Got a package from Bolivia for you, that was somehow
delivered to me instead.  I'll e-mail it to you.

IDENTITY: The Man from Hades
PATHS: >(decvax)--(ucbvax)-+-(sun)---------(sunrock)-V
       >(ihnp4)------------A-(tropix)----+-(ritcv)---V
       >(lll-crg)-(rutgers)-+(rochester)-A-(kodak)---+-(elmgate)-(ram)
       >(hplabs)--(ames)----A
QUOTES: "Reality - What a Concept !" - R.Williams
	"Make things as simple as possible - and no -simpler." - A. Einstein
DISCLAIMER: The preceeding represents only my random babbling,
             and certainly reflects no one else's opinions. Fnord.

terri@csd4.milw.wisc.edu.UUCP (11/13/87)

In article <812@elmgate.UUCP> ram@elmgate.UUCP (The Man from Hades) writes:
>BTW, Hi Terri.  Got a package from Bolivia for you, that was somehow
>delivered to me instead.  I'll e-mail it to you.

Oh, goody...but only if it's fur lined....<sigh>.....

    Show me how you do that trick, the one that makes me scream, she said.

	terri@csd4.milw.wisc.edu  2931 N Murray  53201  (414)962-0129

			Remember me. Buy my books.

acm@bu-cs.UUCP (11/15/87)

In article <812@elmgate.UUCP> ram@elmgate.UUCP (The Man from Hades) writes:
>Well folks, it happened.
>
>Apparently the sysops at puff got wind of Eric Mading's sensless bigotted
>driveling onto the net, and cut him off. At the balls, I believe.
>
>His account is gone.
>
>This unfortunately means that we lose one of our greatest sources of
>entertainment that we have had for some time.  We can not even flame him,
>since he can no longer even read mail.  Sigh.  Just when I was warming
>up for some first class white hot Eric Flammage, he is gone.

I hate to pop your bubble but I did this this morning:

	% finger mading@puff.wisc.edu

and got:

[PUFF.WISC.EDU]
Login name: mading    			In real life: Eric Mading
Directory: /usr2/mading             	Shell: /bin/csh
Last login Sun Nov 15 11:22 on tty94
No Plan.

So, not only does he have an account, but he logged in just a couple
of hours ago.  I hope he likes the mail I sent him.

(Isn't technology amazing?  Even from about 1000 miles away I can tell
that the dude lives on /usr2 and logged in this morning!  BTW, note
that it says "no plan."  Somehow apropos.)

This isn't bizarre but the fact that I'm eating a food with the more
monosodium glutamate in it than there is flavoring is.  At least
according to the package.  I suppose between flavor-enhancers and
preservatives, by the time I'm 40 I'll be petrified but at least I'll
taste good.

jim