[talk.bizarre] CA law regarding left-lane driving

In article <888@plx.UUCP> jeffh@plx.UUCP (Jeff Huntington) writes:

>The key here is "Normal flow of traffic"  A very common situation (at
>least in the Bay area) is for three lanes of traffic to be moving at
              ^^^^^^^^^
              Worst drivers in the world. Except France.

>approx. the following speeds.  Right lane: 50-55, Center lane: 56-60,
>Left lane 61-65.  Everything in moving along reasonably well when along
>comes some ya-ho flashing their lights  and cutting back and forth between
>lanes as they try to do 75.  Then, as if that isn't bad enough, they try
>to defend a position that it is their right to go 75, and everyone else
>should pull over (which means slow down) so they drive at whatever speed
>they choose.
>
>I don't think it is suppose to work that way!

Who gives a rats ass what you *think*. I did some research, as in call
a couple of police stations, and call a few cop friends.

to paraphrase:

	"You are supposed to get the FUCK out of the way of ANYBODY
	if you are in the #1 lane. Thats why its called the passing
	lane. Its not the 5 mph faster that the #2 lane, it's the
	PASSING LANE. If you are doing 70 in the #1 lane, and
	you obstruct somebody doing 75, you can be cited for
	obstructing traffic. It is not your place to judge
	somebody else, as to whether they are going too fast.
	You are supposed to get into the #1 lane to pass somebody
	then get out."

Got it nitwit ?
--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."

andrea@hp-sdd.UUCP (12/08/87)

In article <2507@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>Who gives a rats ass what you *think*. I did some research, as in call
>a couple of police stations, and call a few cop friends.
>
>to paraphrase:
>
>	"You are supposed to get the FUCK out of the way of ANYBODY
>	if you are in the #1 lane. Thats why its called the passing
>	lane. Its not the 5 mph faster that the #2 lane, it's the
>	PASSING LANE. If you are doing 70 in the #1 lane, and
>	you obstruct somebody doing 75, you can be cited for
>	obstructing traffic. It is not your place to judge
>	somebody else, as to whether they are going too fast.
>	You are supposed to get into the #1 lane to pass somebody
>	then get out."
>
>Got it nitwit ?

Stop, please, we don't need this kind of nastiness on the net!
No, I am not trying to play 'net police', I'm just gently asking
for a little more friendliness, tolerance, restraint, good manners,
humor, whatever.  I really do think it's possible to get one's point
across without resorting to name-calling like this.  If you really
can't avoid it (electronic version of Tourette's syndrome? ;@), please
have some consideration for the rest of us and use email to wage your
wars in private.

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
                "...like a song that's born to soar the sky"
UUCP     : ...hplabs!hp-sdd!andrea from
	   {ihnp4|cbosgd|allegra|decvax|gatech|sun|tektronix}
           or ...hp-sdd!andrea from {hp-pcd|hpfcla|hpda|noscvax|gould9|sdcsvax}
Internet : andrea%hp-sdd@ {nosc.mil | sdcsvax.ucsd.edu | hplabs.HP.com}
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA

chip@vaxwaller.UUCP (12/08/87)

In article <2507@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
. In article <888@plx.UUCP> jeffh@plx.UUCP (Jeff Huntington) writes:
. >
. >The key here is "Normal flow of traffic"  A very common situation (at
. >least in the Bay area) is for three lanes of traffic to be moving at
.               ^^^^^^^^^
.               Worst drivers in the world. Except France.

	Agreed!

.
. Who gives a rats ass what you *think*. I did some research, as in call
. a couple of police stations, and call a few cop friends.

	Watch it here, folks...he's got friends.

. 	"You are supposed to get the FUCK out of the way of ANYBODY
. 	if you are in the #1 lane. Thats why its called the passing
. 	lane. Its not the 5 mph faster that the #2 lane, it's the
. 	PASSING LANE. If you are doing 70 in the #1 lane, and
. 	you obstruct somebody doing 75, you can be cited for
. 	obstructing traffic. It is not your place to judge
. 	somebody else, as to whether they are going too fast.
. 	You are supposed to get into the #1 lane to pass somebody
. 	then get out."

	First of all it's NOT called "The Passing Lane"...it's simply
called the #1 lane.  There are passing lanes out there, but they are
specifically called "passing lane"(s) by virtue of the signs along the
road stating such.  You've also missed the point of the article you've
responded to in such a unique manner.  Yes, those little black and white
signs that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" mean what they say, and,
when ignored, are cause for cites.  HOWEVER what was meant in the
original posting was that when EVERYBODY is doing 40 (THAT'S optomistic)
regardless of lane, anybody trying to blast by at 70 does not have that
"right"...in fact I'd drop a rag on the idiot  for too fast for conditions,
speeding, reckless, unsafe lane change, and anything else I could think
of.  Also, if you are  in the process of passing someone via the #1
lane and someone comes blazing up behind you insisting that you pass
at 80 instead of 65, that person is  in the wrong.  You are obliged
to move right, but ONLY when it is safe to do so.

. Got it nitwit ?

	Ditto.

					Sto lat;
					Chip
             ,,
*** SOLIDARNOSC ***

PS  If you really want to carry this on, at least give the net a break
    and respond via e-mail...my path is a good one...know how to handle
    it?

--

Chip Kozy   (415) 939-2400 @ Varian  2700 Mitchell Dr. Walnut Creek, Cal. 94598
		...!ptsfa!varian!vaxwaller!chip

matt@oddjob.UUCP (12/09/87)

Richard Sexton, I don't believe you.  I don't have any made-up facts
or phoney surveys of my own to wave in front of the world, but I just
plain don't believe that what you say is true.

				Matt

awr@tybalt.caltech.edu (Bruce Rossiter) (12/09/87)

matt@oddjob.UChicago.EDU (Stop calling me Fred) writes:
>Richard Sexton, I don't believe you.  I don't have any made-up facts
>or phoney surveys of my own to wave in front of the world, but I just
>plain don't believe that what you say is true.
>
>				Matt

Well, then, you're wrong.  The first (and only!) time I got a ticket in CA,
the "friendly" judge took it upon himself to make sure I knew CA freeway
rules (since I had an out-of-state license, I expect).  In *any* lane but
the far right, you *must* make way for a car that wishes to go faster,
NO MATTER WHAT SPEED you are going.  He specifically said:  "If you are
going 80 mph, and some idiot wants to do 100 mph in that lane, you legally
must change lanes and permit him to do so.  Failure to do so is a violation
of California traffic law, and you can be cited for obstructing traffic."

Now, I doubt you'll get a ticket for it, since if there is a police officer
around, he's gonna go for the speeder. :-)

						-Bruce

----------
ARPAnet  awr@tybalt.caltech.edu
BITNET   awr@caltech.BITNET
UUCP    {amdahl,rutgers}!cit-vax!tybalt.caltech.edu!awr

melska@homxc.UUCP (The IT Girl) (12/09/87)

In article <2507@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> Who gives a rats ass what you *think*. I did some research, as in call
> a couple of police stations, and call a few cop friends.
> to paraphrase:
>
> 	"You are supposed to get the FUCK out of the way of ANYBODY
> 	if you are in the #1 lane. Thats why its called the passing
> 	lane. Its not the 5 mph faster that the #2 lane, it's the
> 	PASSING LANE. If you are doing 70 in the #1 lane, and
> 	you obstruct somebody doing 75, you can be cited for
> 	obstructing traffic. It is not your place to judge
> 	somebody else, as to whether they are going too fast.
> 	You are supposed to get into the #1 lane to pass somebody
> 	then get out."
>
> Got it nitwit ?

Why, Richard... methinks that jersey girl should taketh thou back
to bed for a royal screwing... i.e., CALM DOWN!

Thank you very much.

melska [we'll beat you up if ya make us annoyed] lee

matt@oddjob.UChicago.EDU (I am not a Grook) (12/10/87)

Bruce, why should I believe you either?

			Matt

spike@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Spike) (12/11/87)

In article <1288@vaxwaller.UUCP> chip@vaxwaller.UUCP (Chip Kozy) writes:
>In article <2507@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>. In article <888@plx.UUCP> jeffh@plx.UUCP (Jeff Huntington) writes:
>. >
>. >The key here is "Normal flow of traffic"  A very common situation (at
>. >least in the Bay area) is for three lanes of traffic to be moving at
>.               ^^^^^^^^^
>.               Worst drivers in the world. Except France.
>
>	Agreed!

	Bad drivers?  HA!  Have you ever tried to drive in Boston?--
->Spike

legare@ut-emx.UUCP (BoB teCh) (12/11/87)

In article <17277@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, spike@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Spike) writes:
> In article <1288@vaxwaller.UUCP> chip@vaxwaller.UUCP (Chip Kozy) writes:
> >In article <2507@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> >. In article <888@plx.UUCP> jeffh@plx.UUCP (Jeff Huntington) writes:
> >. >
> >. >The key here is "Normal flow of traffic"  A very common situation (at
> >. >least in the Bay area) is for three lanes of traffic to be moving at
> >.               ^^^^^^^^^
> >.               Worst drivers in the world. Except France.
> >
> >	Agreed!
>

> 	Bad drivers?  HA!  Have you ever tried to drive in Boston?--
> ->Spike

now wait.... perhaps you didn't get the "Boston Driving Guide" in your
mailbox..

it's only got one rule:

"Don't look at any other cars."

simple. you see, the logic is this:

	if you aren't looking at any other cars, obviously you aren't aware
	of them, and they are obliged to let you merge/turn/stop/whatever

	if you look at any other cars, then YOU HAVE SEEN THEM and they
	don't have to do a damn thing to help you get by.

see how much easier your driving will be if you follow this simple rule

yer gonna thank me for it

:r .signature

paulson@udel.EDU (Bruce Paulson) (12/11/87)

In article <17277@bu-cs.BU.EDU> spike@bu-it.UUCP (Joe Ilacqua) writes:
>In article <1288@vaxwaller.UUCP> chip@vaxwaller.UUCP (Chip Kozy) writes:
>>In article <2507@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>. In article <888@plx.UUCP> jeffh@plx.UUCP (Jeff Huntington) writes:
>>. >
>>. >The key here is "Normal flow of traffic"  A very common situation (at
>>. >least in the Bay area) is for three lanes of traffic to be moving at
>>.               ^^^^^^^^^
>>.               Worst drivers in the world. Except France.
>
>	Bad drivers?  HA!  Have you ever tried to drive in Boston?--

I don't know about Bad drivers but the ugliest drivers come from
Newark, NJ.

Of course, If we are just talking about ugly then English women take the
rag.

	Bruce

tdonahue@lf-server-2.BBN.COM (Tim Donahue) (12/12/87)

In article <17277@bu-cs.BU.EDU> spike@bu-it.UUCP (Joe Ilacqua) writes:
>In article <1288@vaxwaller.UUCP> chip@vaxwaller.UUCP (Chip Kozy) writes:
>>In article <2507@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>. In article <888@plx.UUCP> jeffh@plx.UUCP (Jeff Huntington) writes:
>>. >
>>. >The key here is "Normal flow of traffic"  A very common situation (at
>>. >least in the Bay area) is for three lanes of traffic to be moving at
>>.               ^^^^^^^^^
>>.               Worst drivers in the world. Except France.
>>
>>	Agreed!
>

>	Bad drivers?  HA!  Have you ever tried to drive in Boston?--
>->Spike

Wake up, Spike.  Boston, the Hub of the universe, has the best drivers
in the universe.  Here every driver is continuously and acutely aware of
the only two reasons people get in their cars in the first place: 1) to
go somewhere, or 2) to go nowhere.

In case 1, Ensure Forward Progress is the general goal.  Two primary
strategies are used: Drive as fast as possible to keep ahead of the next
bozo (trying not to flatten pedestrians whilst within Cambridge city
limits), or Get Out of the Fucking Way.  Simple, even for MIT EE
graduates who also happen to fail the TOEFL test.

In case 2, you're just Out For A Ride. Driving as fast as possible is
the way to maximize the fun of being Out For A Ride.  Since everyone
wants to have as much fun as possible while going nowhere, they drive as
fast as possible while going nowhere.  That's why EVERY car stopped in
Burlington on 128 has the radio on, tuned to NPR and laughing at what
Ron's done for the day, or to WBCN which is playing great tunes.

You want bad driving?  STUPID, IGNORANT, DISCOURTEOUS, SLOW driving,
usually in beat up cars?  Go to northeast New Jersey.  That is the worst.

Yours,
Tim

hdunne@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu (Hugh :-) (12/12/87)

In article <295@ut-emx.UUCP> legare@ut-emx.UUCP (BoB teCh) writes:
}In article <17277@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, spike@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Spike) writes:
}> In article <1288@vaxwaller.UUCP> chip@vaxwaller.UUCP (Chip Kozy) writes:
}> >In article <2507@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
}> >. In article <888@plx.UUCP> jeffh@plx.UUCP (Jeff Huntington) writes:
}> >. >
}> >. >The key here is "Normal flow of traffic"  A very common situation (at
}> >. >least in the Bay area) is for three lanes of traffic to be moving at
}> >.               ^^^^^^^^^
}> >.               Worst drivers in the world. Except France.
}> >
}> >	Agreed!
}>
}>
}
}now wait.... perhaps you didn't get the "Boston Driving Guide" in your
}mailbox..
}
}
}it's only got one rule:
}
}"Don't look at any other cars."

Actually there are a few more rules than that. For example:

[1]	Every other driver is your enemy. This is rule #1 - never forget it.

[2]	It's okay to go the wrong way down a one-way street provided you drive
in reverse. (Corollary: If you miss your exit on the S.E. Expressway, just go
on to the entrance ramp and reverse down it.)

[3]	Never give signals (except the finger, which is mandatory). It only
gives information away to the enemy.

[4]	Each red light and stop sign is a test. If you stop, you've failed.

[5]	If you can't get Tip O'Neill to fix your traffic tickets, you are
NOBODY and you might as well move back to wherever you came from.

Hugh Dunne         |     ...{cmcl2,ihnp4,seismo!noao}!arizona!amethyst!hdunne
Dept. of Math.     |    Phone:             |         {amethyst.ma.arizona.edu}
Univ. of Arizona   |    +1 602 621 4766    |  hdunne@{    arizrvax.bitnet    }
Tucson AZ  85721   |    +1 602 621 6893    |         { rvax.ccit.arizona.edu }

eap@bucsb.UUCP (Eric Pearce) (12/13/87)

In article <367@lf-tdonahue.BBN.COM> tdonahue@BBN.COM (Donahue) spews forth:
>In article <17277@bu-cs.BU.EDU> spike@bu-it.UUCP (Joe Ilacqua) writes:
>>In article <1288@vaxwaller.UUCP> chip@vaxwaller.UUCP (Chip Kozy) writes:
>>>In article <2507@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>>. In article <888@plx.UUCP> jeffh@plx.UUCP (Jeff Huntington) writes:
>>>. >
>>>. >The key here is "Normal flow of traffic"  A very common situation (at
>>>. >least in the Bay area) is for three lanes of traffic to be moving at
>>>.               ^^^^^^^^^
>>>.               Worst drivers in the world. Except France.
>>>	Agreed!
>>	Bad drivers?  HA!  Have you ever tried to drive in Boston?--
>>->Spike
>
>Wake up, Spike.  Boston, the Hub of the universe, has the best drivers
blah - blah ...
>You want bad driving?  STUPID, IGNORANT, DISCOURTEOUS, SLOW driving,
>usually in beat up cars?  Go to northeast New Jersey.  That is the worst.
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well you got that right.  I was driving to Newark Airport and passed a beat-up
Mercury Monarch with the front right-hand side door in the back seat.  The
lady driving it was cruising along at 60 with no seatbelt, entirely exposed to
the air on the side.

--
 @-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@
 UUCP !harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!eap  ARPANET eap@bucsb.bu.edu  CSNET eap%bucsb@bu-cs

hrlaser@gryphon.CTS.COM (Harv Laser) (12/15/87)

In article <1327@bucsb.UUCP> eap@bucsb.UUCP (Eric Pearce) writes:
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Well you got that right.  I was driving to Newark Airport and passed a beat-up
>Mercury Monarch with the front right-hand side door in the back seat.  The
>lady driving it was cruising along at 60 with no seatbelt, entirely exposed to
>the air on the side.                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

             hey, doesn't this kind of talk belong in rec.nude?

--
Harv Laser - Chairman (sysop) The AmigaZone
PeopleLink: CBM*HARV

pz@apple.UUCP (Peter Zukoski) (12/15/87)

> > >. >least in the Bay area) is for three lanes of traffic to be moving at
> > >.               ^^^^^^^^^
> > >.               Worst drivers in the world. Except France.
> > >
> > >	Agreed!
> >

> > 	Bad drivers?  HA!  Have you ever tried to drive in Boston?--
> > ->Spike

So has any of you ever driven in India? Try it sometime (maybe one of the
calmer cities like Delhi to start with.) They have there what is called
the Karmic Law of Driving. That is, if i hit you, you must have done
something to deserve it. If i don't, then you didn't.  Sooo, everyone just
ignores any rules. Chalk it all up to Karma (fate).  Makes for a real
interesting environment.

--
peterz
I demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

CSNET:   pz@apple
UUCP :   {sun,voder,nsc,dual}!apple!pz
SNAIL:   20525 Mariani MS/4Z Cupertino CA 95014
BELL :   (408)973-2920 / (408)280-5153

dph@pbhyc.UUCP (Doug Halloran) (12/16/87)

>>>. >The key here is "Normal flow of traffic"  A very common situation (at
>>>. >least in the Bay area) is for three lanes of traffic to be moving at
>>>.               ^^^^^^^^^
>>	Bad drivers?  HA!  Have you ever tried to drive in Boston?--
>usually in beat up cars?  Go to northeast New Jersey.  That is the worst.

Au Contraire:

The ABSOLUTE Worse Drivers in the entire world are in
Los Angeles.  First of all, EVERYONE is stoned or
drunk or both.  Secondly, they are all in this state
illegally so they are paranoid to boot.  Lastly,
they all pack weapons and shoot each other if they
don't get out of the way.

Come to thing of it, maybe shooting each other isn't
such a bad idea.

Doug

eap@bucsb.UUCP (Eric Pearce) (12/16/87)

In article <2586@gryphon.CTS.COM> hrlaser@gryphon.CTS.COM (Harv Laser, The
Redondo Beach Bum) spews forth:
>In article <1327@bucsb.UUCP> eap@bucsb.UUCP (Eric Pearce) writes:
>>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    so ?

>>Well you got that right.  I was driving to Newark Airport and passed a beat-up
>>Mercury Monarch with the front right-hand side door in the back seat.  The
>>lady driving it was cruising along at 60 with no seatbelt, entirely exposed to
>>the air on the side.                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>             hey, doesn't this kind of talk belong in rec.nude?
              hey, doesn't this kind of talk belong in net.douchebags?

ebm@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Grady Toss) (12/16/87)

In article <892@pbhyc.UUCP> dph@pbhyc.UUCP (Doug Halloran) writes:

> The ABSOLUTE Worse Drivers in the entire world are in
> Los Angeles.

Finally!  The end-all opinion for this discussion.

"The drivers in the Bay Area are terrible!"
"The drivers in Los Angeles are worse."

"Have you ever been to Paris?  The drivers there are the worst!"
"The drivers in Los Angeles are worse."

"Boston!  The drivers there are crazy!"
"The drivers in Los Angeles are worse."

"How about Iowa?  Those farmers are used to tractors and..."
"The drivers in Los Angeles are worse."

"Florida!  Blue haired LOL's who can't see over the dashboards..."
"The drivers in Los Angeles are worse."

... gt

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (12/17/87)

In article <7004@apple.UUCP> pz@apple.UUCP (Peter Zukoski) writes:
>So has any of you ever driven in India? Try it sometime (maybe one of the
>calmer cities like Delhi to start with.)

In India there is no well-defined concept of right-of-way.  When
turning right (since you're driving on the left) you turn as soon as
the chance of not having an accident appears to exceed the chance of
having one.  Oncoming traffic thus needs to be careful to stay out of
your way.

Lane changes need not be signalled and seldom are.

Posted speed limits can usually be safely ignored.

Green means go, red means stop, and yellow (actually amber) means speed
up.

In short, most Americans will feel right at home :-)
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (12/17/87)

I am reminded of the Ecuadorian rule for driving in mountainous areas.
``Everybody wants a good view of the cliffs.''  To maximise the view,
all drivers drive in the outermost lane when cruising around blind
turns at 85 mph.  Of course, I haven't driven in Ecuador enough to know
whether this is a true law, or whether I just got a very bad day...

--
It's the things that are useful in slaves that computers are really bad at.

Laura Creighton
uunet!hoptoad!laura  utzoo!hoptoad!laura  sun!hoptoad!laura toad@toad.com

seidel@skat.usc.edu (Starman) (12/18/87)

In article <1702@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>[In India,...]
>Green means go, red means stop, and yellow (actually amber) means speed
>up.

Well, here in America, it's slightly different.  Green means "go," yellow
means "go faster," and red means "turn left."

>Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

-------
More useless gibberish from...
-S-tarman  seidel@skat.usc.edu
-------     name of a faint star in Aquarius)

ugfailau@sunybcs.uucp (Fai Lau) (12/18/87)

In article <5781@oberon.USC.EDU> seidel@skat.usc.edu (Starman) writes:

>Well, here in America, it's slightly different.  Green means "go," yellow
>means "go faster," and red means "turn left."

	Here in my dictionary, it's rather amusing. I've tried it, and
it's fun!!!
	Green means"go," yellow means "go faster," and red means
"make a right turn if you're in front, then make a U turn on the
cross street, and then make another right turn, continue wheeling.
If you're behind some other cars, just turn right and get to
the parking lot at the corner (if there's one), exit at the
cross stret, make a right and continue going." Should watch
the expression of the other drivers when you're doing this while
there isn't a single car in the cross street and all the
other drivers have to wait for the green light!

Fai  Lau
SUNY at Buffalo (The Arctic Wonderland)
UU: ..{rutgers|ames}!sunybcs!ugfailau
BI: ugfailau@sunybcs INT: ugfailau@cs.buffalo.EDU

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (12/18/87)

Very close, but let me make a few corrections about Boston driving:

>[1]	Every other driver is your enemy. This is rule #1 - never forget it.

Correct, perhaps you're too soft, every other driver is plotting to
get you. You *know* they purposely slow down in front of you when
approaching a green light to make sure you miss it etc, that kind of
thing.

>[2]	It's okay to go the wrong way down a one-way street provided you drive
>in reverse. (Corollary: If you miss your exit on the S.E. Expressway, just go
>on to the entrance ramp and reverse down it.)

You miss the point, it's not necessary to be in reverse. One-way
streets in Boston can be ignored as a concept since in all likelihood
you are only going one way, forward. Every true Boston driver knows
this.

>[3]	Never give signals (except the finger, which is mandatory). It only
>gives information away to the enemy.

Absolutely correct, if anyone is ever in Boston I would be glad to
show how correct this is, I often signal just to amuse myself at the
vicious things people will do in response. Giving the wrong signal is
sometimes a reasonable thing to do.

>[4]	Each red light and stop sign is a test. If you stop, you've failed.

Again you miss the real point. In Boston anyone slowing down to below
30MPH is considered to be at a full stop.

>[5]	If you can't get Tip O'Neill to fix your traffic tickets, you are
>NOBODY and you might as well move back to wherever you came from.

There are a few other pols who can take care of this for you, but you
have the right idea.

	-B

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (12/18/87)

One of my favorites was being driven around Egypt at night with the
lights off, sometimes in a pitch black desert. If you asked why they
would say "to save electricity".

Hey, there's no accounting for taste.