[talk.bizarre] Neutrino Tomography

kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) (03/23/88)

In article <240@unisv.UUCP> vanpelt%unisv@ubvax.ub.com (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
>In article <7831@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
>>(1) De Rujula, Weinstein, and others have proposed to use Tev-Pev neutrinos
>>    for doing whole earth tomography.  One Earth diameter of rock and iron
>>    should be just the right distance.  Earthquake prediction and the like
>>    would surely benefit.  This requires SSC-level energies.  Their actual
>>    proposals get further out: for maximum tomography benefit, they want to
>>    try floating the SSC out at sea!  I posted a short description with
>>    references about a year ago.
>>
>Now this is fascinating, and deserves to be split out into a separate
>subject.  It seems to me that what you really need to do for this is to
>put your SSC in orbit.

There you go!  Build two of whatever you use to launch it, and the
spare can launch the next twenty or thirty years of the space program
in one fell swoop.  Talk about your big, dumb boosters!

[Notice the "Followups-to:" line!]

Kent, the (Birthright Party's Choice for Chief Somnambulist) man from xanth.
"The Birthright of Humankind is the Stars!"

|\~                                                     |
| |~  .  o  o  .    :;:    ()    -O-    0     . O       |
| |~        ^                                           |
|/~         |                                           |
|      You are Here                                     |
|                                                       |
|Wouldn't you rather be out there -->                   |
|Support the Birthright Party Today!                    |
|(Note: Above diagram NOT to scale.)                    |

[This lovely banner, available at a terminal near you for a donation
 of a mere 3 5/7 Quatloos, brought to you through the keyboard talents
 of Michael P. Seidel, Press Secretary Nominee to the Administration
 of the Chief Somnambulist Candidate.]

Join the KENT FOR PRESIDENT movement in talk.bizarre!