[talk.bizarre] SDI tax

jans@tekcrl.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) (03/10/88)

<<California SDI is still deductible on Federal returns.>>

<What is SDI tax in California?  Is it substantial?>

California is highly reliant on the DOD for jobs, and indirectly, for state
income.  Since SDI promises to consume much of our nation's disposable income
for years to come, and since the money spent on SDI will go to the Big Defense
States, such as California, New York, and Colorado, many of those states have
started funds for pursuing these lucrative (or was that ludicrous?) SDI
contracts, much like the $2 million Oregonians threw down the rathole chasing
the Superconducting Supercollider, which we didn't have a chance of getting
with CA, NY and CO in the race.

The reason piddly states like OR can't compete for big projects with lots of
jobs is that the Big Defense States have lots of citizens with lots of pockets
to pick, and I can't think of a finer example than the SDI tax in California.
"Is it substantial", you ask?  No way!  Do you think the fine citizens who gave
us Proposition 13 would put up with a "substantial" tax?

Thanks to some brilliant work by some Reagan-era California politicos, half the
proceeds from the relatively small tax funds the purchase of inexpensive, old
DC-3 planes, which are sold to drug dealers at enormous profit.  The other half
of the tax goes into cheap imitation Ouzis, which are then loaded on the
planes, which the drug dealers have agreed to fly into Armenia, to trade to
brave Freedom Fighters in exchange for plane loads of opium and other such
nasty stuff.

Upon arrival back at the American boarder, the drug dealers are surprised to
find the CIA, FBI, DEA, NIS, USDA, DOA, ABC, and XYZ all waiting for them.  In
return for their civic-minded cooperation, the planes are returned to
California, where they begin another journey.

So stand up proud and gladly pay your measily little SDI tax!  The highly
efficient and profitable California Department of Vexation turns each dollar
you pay into over $1000 in slush fund money for attracting billions of dollars
of useless, but non-polluting (so they say) SDI research and development money
into the state!  (This is known in the financial talk-show circuit as "money
amplification".)

And now you know... the rest of the story!  Good day!

:::::: Software Productivity Technologies    ---    Smalltalk   Project ::::::
:::::: Jan Steinman N7JDB	Box 500, MS 50-470	(w)503/627-5881 ::::::
:::::: jans@tekcrl.TEK.COM	Beaverton, OR 97077	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::

seth@ptsfa.UUCP (Seth Miller) (03/11/88)

In article <2398@tekcrl.TEK.COM> jans@tekcrl.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) writes:
><<California SDI is still deductible on Federal returns.>>
>
><What is SDI tax in California?  Is it substantial?>

  [Jan spends about 40 lines talking about how California SDI tax is somehow
   related to Ronald Reagan's Strategic Defense Initiative and has something
   to do with the lack of jobs in small states and all of this was written
   without a single smiley face. ]

I have never in my life read so much B.S. in such a short amount of space.

For those of you not in California SDI tax is State Disability Tax.
For those of you in California who didn't know the answer to this, shame on you.
How can you pay a tax without knowing what you are paying?

Seth
pacbell!ptsfa!seth

In article <4170@ptsfa.UUCP> seth@ptsfa.UUCP (Seth Miller) writes:

>For those of you not in California SDI tax is State Disability Tax.
>                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry, I meant to say State Disability Insurance.

Seth
pacbell!ptsfa!seth

jay@spot.megatek.uucp (Jay Schlegel) (03/11/88)

In article <2398@tekcrl.TEK.COM>:
><<California SDI is still deductible on Federal returns.>>
>
><What is SDI tax in California?  Is it substantial?>
>
>California is highly reliant on the DOD for jobs, and indirectly, for state
>income.  Since SDI promises to consume much of our nation's disposable income
>for years to come, and since the money spent on SDI will go to the Big Defense
>States, such as California, New York, and Colorado, many of those states have
>started funds for pursuing these lucrative (or was that ludicrous?) SDI
>contracts, much like the $2 million Oregonians threw down the rathole chasing
>the Superconducting Supercollider, which we didn't have a chance of getting
>with CA, NY and CO in the race.
>
>The reason piddly states like OR can't compete for big projects with lots of
>jobs is that the Big Defense States have lots of citizens with lots of pockets

	(and on and so-on and so-forth and so-flame)

  Since I didn't see any smiley faces at the end of the above posting,
I feel compelled to mention that California "SDI" refers to:

		"State Disability Insurance"

as was mentioned in previous postings.
(do I hear a faint "never mind")

BTW, I'm not a proponent of the Strategic Defense Initiative, but
     that's beside the point.

						    ames!scubed!
-*jay	 Jay Schlegel --> Megatek Corp.	{sdcsvax,hplabs}!hp-sdd!megatek!jay
						 sdcsvax!esosun!

  I'd rather uu with you people than some of the finest people in the world!

gf@dasys1.UUCP (G Fitch) (03/12/88)

In article <4171@ptsfa.UUCP> seth@ptsfa.UUCP (Seth Miller) writes:
} In article <4170@ptsfa.UUCP> seth@ptsfa.UUCP (Seth Miller) writes:
} }
} } For those of you not in California SDI tax is State Disability Tax.
} }                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
}
} Sorry, I meant to say State Disability Insurance.
}
} Seth
} pacbell!ptsfa!seth

It's too late now.
--
G Fitch	        				{uunet}!mstan\
The Big Electric Cat     {ihnp4,harvard,philabs}!cmcl2!cucard!dasys1!gf

ekwok@cadev4.intel.com (Edward C. Kwok) (03/12/88)

In article <4170@ptsfa.UUCP> seth@ptsfa.UUCP (Seth Miller) writes:

>How can you pay a tax without knowing what you are paying?

My question is:

Why would you pay a tax if you know what you are paying?

stevef@rtech.UUCP (Steve Frye) (03/15/88)

In article <4170@ptsfa.UUCP>, seth@ptsfa.UUCP (Seth Miller) writes:
> How can you pay a tax without knowing what you are paying?

Surely you jest ?!?!?  But, I'll answer.  It's real easy.  They take it
out of my check.  I asked them to stop until they explained where every dollar
went.  They said - "well, some goes to Social Security, Some goes to the
Franchise tax board in Sacramento, but most of it goes to the IRS"

--
Steve Frye 				Relational Technology
ptsfa!rtech!stevef			1080 Marina Village Parkway

brian@vaxwaller.UUCP (zippy the pinhead) (03/19/88)

In article <1871@mipos3.intel.com>, (Edward C. Kwok) writes:
> In article <4170@ptsfa.UUCP> seth@ptsfa.UUCP (Seth Miller) writes:

> >How can you pay a tax without knowing what you are paying?

> My question is:

> Why would you pay a tax if you know what you are paying?

Why would you go to jail if you could pay a tax?

zippy by the Bay

"My hovercraft is full of eels."

edk@gryphon.CTS.COM (Ed Kaulakis) (03/21/88)

In article <1580@vaxwaller.UUCP>, brian@vaxwaller.UUCP (zippy the pinhead) writes:
> In article <1871@mipos3.intel.com>, (Edward C. Kwok) writes:
> > In article <4170@ptsfa.UUCP> seth@ptsfa.UUCP (Seth Miller) writes:
>
> > >How can you pay a tax without knowing what you are paying?
>
> > My question is:
>
> > Why would you pay a tax if you know what you are paying?
>
> Why would you go to jail if you could pay a tax?
>

> zippy by the Bay
>

> "My hovercraft is full of eels."

Out of Cyber, Punk, or we'll open your braincase with a monofilament
chainsaw, install your personality and taste circuitry as a quality
control monitor in a polluted sewage plant, wire the carcass for passion
and sell it for 25 cents a shot on Santa Monica Blvd!

COK@PSUVMA.BITNET (R. W. F. Clark) (03/23/88)

In article <1580@vaxwaller.UUCP>, brian@vaxwaller.UUCP (zippy the pinhead) says:

>In article <1871@mipos3.intel.com>, (Edward C. Kwok) writes:
>> In article <4170@ptsfa.UUCP> seth@ptsfa.UUCP (Seth Miller) writes:
>
>> >How can you pay a tax without knowing what you are paying?
>
>> My question is:
>
>> Why would you pay a tax if you know what you are paying?
>
>Why would you go to jail if you could pay a tax?

Ever heard of ethics?  Ever heard of love of freedom?  Ever heard of
civil disobedience?  No?

Well here's one I'm sure you've heard:  "Fuckhead."  It describes
you to perfection.  Now please go back to whatever coprophiliac
delights you were indulging in before visiting the net.

And quit defaming Zippy by assuming his name.  Zippy may
be a microcephalic, but he's not a fascist anal-retentive moron.

>zippy by the Bay
>

>"My hovercraft is full of eels."
-------
cok%psuvma@psuvax1.psu.edu "Such giddiness of heart and brain      |Vote Kent
UUCP:. . .rutgers!psuvax1!   comes seldom save from rage and pain."|Paul Dolan
psuvma.BITNET!cok                    S. T. Coleridge               |in '88