[talk.bizarre] Another flame from greg

pooh@oddjob.UChicago.EDU (E Pluribus Poohnum) (02/26/88)

In article <1936@mind.UUCP> greg@mind.UUCP (greg Nowak) writes:

>Think about it -- it becomes clear that Dr.
>Crawford is most interested in what goes in INSTEAD OF sex. Doesn't
>frustrate him as much.

Greg, you ignoramus, I've already had to correct your absurd,
ill-founded claims several times.  Would you like me to do it again?
Is it just that you enjoy being flamed by me because it's the only
form of female attention you're likely to get?

Let's review the score so far:

Matt:  Gene, your solution is wrong for this mathematical reason.
Greg:  No, it's not!  What do YOU know about math, anyway?
Pooh:  Well, he happens to have a degree in it.
Greg:  Oh, well then, what ELSE does he know about anything?
Pooh:  He has a Ph.D too.
Greg:  Well, then, he must not be very interested in sex.
        [brilliant logic, what?]

Pooh:  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. . .

If only you knew who you were tangling with, you poor little milksop. . .

>This is my posting : 47401. HA!--

Don't worry, I believe you.  Nobody else would embarrass himself
by claiming authorship.

Pooh
      pooh@oddjob.uchicago.edu

greg@mind.UUCP (greg Nowak) (02/27/88)

In article <1435@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:

}I have to say that Bill Rubin is right, and that what we have is a textbook
}case of a whiny talk.bizarre reader.  I read net.bizarre when it started
}for a while, and there were a few good things.  When I started
}rec.humor.funny, I read talk.bizarre for 2 months to see if I could cull
}anything funny, and I found only 1 item.  (I'll admit I'm tough)

The rec.humor.funny fascist speaks. Mr. Templeton, it may come as a
shock to you, but talk.bizarre does not exist as a "feeder" group for
your sainted rec.humor.funny. I find it rather quaint and 19th-century
that your idea of humor contains only constructs presented in the
format of "jokes",, linear assemblages of "yuks". Rec.humor.funny is a
faceless billboard; rec.humor sn't much better. Talk.bizarre is a
*community*, for better or worse, and we all *know* each other -- and
only paranoid types such as yourself find something reprehensible in
that. It's damn unfortunate that you don't have the sophistication to
appreciate humor that's not in the predigested form of "jokes"; for
your sake I'll spare you a debate about whether "bizarre" and "funny"
even should mean the same things.

}All this would be fine if it weren't for this stuff that's going
}on there right now about "pumping up the volume" and trying to get the
}highest volume on the net.

Clearly you're not a talk.bizarre reader. If you were, you'd know that
VOLUME VOLUME VOLUME has been a CONTINUAL quest of this newsgroup. We
are a CULTURE, damnit, we have our traditions, we demand our RIGHTS.
Refuse to carry our group if you don't want to -- givwen your
attitude, I doubt that there are any users on your machine that are
capable of appreciating talk.bizarre anyway -- but don't waste time
pontificating to us about how we should all be efficient societal
cogs. That's just so much Reaganite utilitarian bullshit.

Talk.bizarre is surpassed in per reader
}cost only by some binary/source groups and talk.politics/religion/abortion
}groups.

So put THEM on probation first, and when WE'RE at the top of your
little Per-Reader-Cost shit list, come after US, dweeb. Or is there
something socially redeeming about pointless maundering in the
politics, religion and abortion groups that should be protected, over
and above our desire for FUN?

}I tell you I get more and more serious every day about my idea of putting
}high volume groups on probation.

Then do it -- at your site -- and shut the hell up.

--

                              greg

rissa@chinet.UUCP (Patricia O Tuama) (02/27/88)

Pooh ponders the mysteries of Greg:
>>Think about it -- it becomes clear that Dr.
>>Crawford is most interested in what goes in INSTEAD OF sex. Doesn't
>>frustrate him as much.

>Greg, you ignoramus, I've already had to correct your absurd,
>ill-founded claims several times.  Would you like me to do it again?
>Is it just that you enjoy being flamed by me because it's the only
>form of female attention you're likely to get?

Wendy, how CAN you say this?!???
All of the women in talk.bizarre regard Greg with the greatest
amount of admiration, respect and hot smoking lust.  Especially
all of us at once.  Together.  With our dear dear Greg.

>Let's review the score so far:

>Matt:  Gene, your solution is wrong for this mathematical reason.
>Greg:  No, it's not!  What do YOU know about math, anyway?
>Pooh:  Well, he happens to have a degree in it.
>Greg:  Oh, well then, what ELSE does he know about anything?
>Pooh:  He has a Ph.D too.
>Greg:  Well, then, he must not be very interested in sex.
>        [brilliant logic, what?]

Come on, Wendy, *everyone* on the net has advanced degrees
galore.  Don't you think it's just a bit much to keep on
going about this?

I mean really.

				              .
				t r i s h a   o t u a m a
     			    oh greg do it to me one more time

thebeast@athena.mit.edu (Dave Henry) (02/28/88)

In article <2905@chinet.UUCP> rissa@chinet.UUCP (Patricia O Tuama) writes:

>Come on, Wendy, *everyone* on the net has advanced degrees
>galore.  Don't you think it's just a bit much to keep on
>going about this?
>
>I mean really.
>
>				              .
>				t r i s h a   o t u a m a
>     			    oh greg do it to me one more time

	Hate to disappoint you Trisha, but me, I'm just (just??) a lowly
old college drop-out myself. No degree. May never get one. Doesn't bother
me any. Gettin' by just fine, thanks.

	Just shows you, never assume...

		-Dave

Dave Henry, Robo-Droog		\	"Take the wheel --
thebeast@athena.mit.edu		 \		I'm going out on top..."
..!mit-eddie!mit-athena!thebeast \
DISCLAIMER: If you don't want something heard, do not say it. - Klingon proverb

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (02/28/88)

I appreciate the recent attack on talk.bizarre posted by Greg@mind.uucp.
Nothing I could write could so easily unite people against the group.

When net.bizarre was created, it was truly bizarre, and it contained
a number of highly interesting and innovative articles.  It also, like
many groups, contained excessive amounts of self-indulgent drivel.  As
the good and bizarre stuff faded away, I, like many, unsubscribed.

In the interests of looking for potentially funny material, I resubscribed
last year for a few months.  There was little bizarre or funny to be found
there.  Just the sort of cutsey drek I got tired of in junior high school.

[ I deserved to say that last line, due to the personal attacks I'm
responding to. ]

I'm all for people creating their own special community of net posters
and writing what they please.  But do it on a BBS.  My guess is that
most other sysadmins don't think that "VOLUME VOLUME VOLUME" is a
legitimate goal for a community oriented newsgroup like talk.bizarre.
If other sysadmins do agree with that goal, please speak up.

		- Brad, your "rec.humor.funny fascist"
			(Kinda a neat title, eh?)
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

rissa@chinet.UUCP (Patricia O Tuama) (03/03/88)

Wendy responds:
>>Yes, but Pooh, the university in question here is the University
>>of Chicago, right?  Where we all went to graduate school and
>>where Matt still works.  And at UC PhD's are never referred to
>>as "doctor."
>
>So?  If you be-bopped down to the University of Texas, for example,
>you would see lots of "Dr."s walking around and addressed as
>such. It depends partly on whether the particular university also
>has a med school nearby.

University of Texas????  University of TEXAS???
ha ha ha ha ha pretty funny, Wendy.
The proximity of a medical school has nothing nothing nothing to
do with it, dear.

>But this isn't the point.  The point is that Greg wanted some
>proof that Matt knew what he was talking about.  He got it.
>Greg STILL hasn't addressed the original issue, and isn't likely
>to, as long as he can make other outrageous claims.  Now, if
>you'd like to join in the fray and defend your electronic lust
>object, go right ahead.  But let's not forget that the real
>issue is whether Greg can admit he's wrong in the face of
>overwhelming evidence.

Electronic Lust Object????

ha ha ha ha ha  Pretty funny, Wendy, especially coming from
*you* of all people.

Hey, Greg, guess what, Wendy here has just promoted you to my
Electronic Lust Object, you lucky thing you.  Wasn't that just
so sweet and nice of her, I do declare.  If you will think back
a few days, Wendy, I think you will remember that it was you
who said that the only female attention Greg could get was by
responding to your attacks on him.  You are, of course, entirely
free to interpret Greg's replies to you as sexual advances, but
please do not include me in your simplistic view of net.inter-
relationships.

I have no idea who is right in this case and frankly like most
of the net I really don't care one single little bit whether
Greg is right or Matt is.  However I've always considered Matt
to be extraordinarily adept at defending himself and I really
do not understand why you jumped in with all this talk of degrees
in the first place.  Greg, who is still in graduate school, has
at least had the grace and good sense not to try and defend his
postion by spouting off about his own credentials, which are quite
impressive, by the way.

			       .
			Doctor O Tuama

oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (03/09/88)

In article <1950@mind.UUCP> greg@mind.UUCP (greg Nowak) writes:

>Clearly you're not a talk.bizarre reader. If you were, you'd know that
>VOLUME VOLUME VOLUME has been a CONTINUAL quest of this newsgroup.

	Just curious: what are you planning to accomplish ??

	Perhaps you wish to blow away the communication budgets of
	some of the backbones, so that many newsgroups, including
	yours get chopped off in an effort to deal with it ?? How
	good is your memory ??

> We are a CULTURE, damnit, ...

	Nope, you are a SUBCULTURE (of the NET) at best, a slightly
	bizarre one at that, by design. That in itself is neither
	interesting, nor special.

> ... we have our traditions, we demand our RIGHTS.

	This is most interesting. You DEMAND ?? From whom ???
	Also, what RIGHTS did you have in mind ?? Do you have
	any idea what you are talking about ??

oz
--
... and they will all		Usenet: [decvax|ihnp4]!utzoo!yunexus!oz
bite the dust ... 	    		......!seismo!mnetor!yunexus!oz

Wasser@cup.portal.com (03/11/88)

My, my.  RE: "rissa" and "pooh".  Last few days' flaming makes for
interesting reading.  How did you little girls get access to Daddy's
computer, huh?  **sheesh**  People should lock up their keyboards
when they are at work.

And using the "f"-word in the message about "Pooh" vs "Wendy"!
Tsk-tsk!  What would Mommy say if she knew?

Vote (1)  Move this crap to a new conference:  alt.KIDS.flame

Cheers!
Wasser

legare@ut-emx.UUCP (BoB tEch) (03/12/88)

In article <3831@cup.portal.com>, Wasser@cup.portal.com writes:
> My, my.  RE: "rissa" and "pooh".  Last few days' flaming makes for
> interesting reading.  How did you little girls get access to Daddy's
> computer, huh?  **sheesh**  People should lock up their keyboards
> when they are at work.
>
> And using the "f"-word in the message about "Pooh" vs "Wendy"!
> Tsk-tsk!  What would Mommy say if she knew?
>
> Vote (1)  Move this crap to a new conference:  alt.KIDS.flame
>
> Cheers!
> Wasser

and this, ladeez and gentlemen, is what happens when a dip who knows nothing
about what he/it is talking about suddenly decides to get embroiled in net
controversey.

a few months ago, accusing a person of being an AI was the "in" way to abuse

then it was time to call somebody a "pseudo"

now it's "kiddie"

i think i see the downside of the curve coming on.

BoB
tecH

rissa@chinet.UUCP (Patricia O Tuama) (03/14/88)

In article <3831@cup.portal.com> Wasser@cup.portal.com writes:
>My, my.  RE: "rissa" and "pooh".  Last few days' flaming makes for
>interesting reading.  How did you little girls get access to Daddy's
>computer, huh?  **sheesh**  People should lock up their keyboards
>when they are at work.
>
>And using the "f"-word in the message about "Pooh" vs "Wendy"!
>Tsk-tsk!  What would Mommy say if she knew?

Hah, you just better be careful what you say here, Wasser.  Or
else you will force "pooh" to get out Matt's PhD and hit you over
the head with it.  And I'm sure both you and *your* mother know
what that means.

			                  .
		  	    t r i s h a   o t u a m a
			that's all, i don't think of you that often

headroom@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (The only computer-generated user at UWM) (03/21/88)

}
}And using the "f"-word in the message about "Pooh" vs "Wendy"!
}Tsk-tsk!  What would Mommy say if she knew?
}
}Vote (1)  Move this crap to a new conference:  alt.KIDS.flame
}
}Cheers!
}Wasser

What a wanker.......

Mark "Night Court!" Lippert
net.average.joe
"Morons!  I've got morons on my payroll!" - Cobra Commander
uwvax!uwmcsd1!csd4.milw.wisc.edu!headroom

In article <5279@uwmcsd1.UUCP> headroom@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (The only computer-generated user at UWM) writes:
>Dat fella Wasser writes:
>}My, my.  RE: "rissa" and "pooh".  Last few days' flaming makes for
>}interesting reading.  How did you little girls get access to Daddy's
>}computer, huh?  **sheesh**  People should lock up their keyboards
>}when they are at work.
>}
>}And using the "f"-word in the message about "Pooh" vs "Wendy"!
>}Tsk-tsk!  What would Mommy say if she knew?
>}
>}Wasser
>
>What a wanker.......
>

>Mark "Night Court!" Lippert

That explains Mark, why you are there and we are here. I'm actually
a few places they arn't, but then I invented all of them anyway.

If you don't understand this, Mark, it simply proves my point.

Thanks for Andy, guys.

--
..who come from long lines of soldiers,  | richard@gryphon.CTS.COM
whose destiny was fulfilled,             | ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax!gryphon!richard

headroom@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (The only computer-generated user at UWM) (03/23/88)

Richard Sexton writes:
}That explains Mark, why you are there and we are here. I'm actually
}a few places they arn't, but then I invented all of them anyway.

Ah, but if you are there, how do you know I'm here?  Since you are in a few
place, how do you know I'm not there.  I could be there, and you aren't, so
you wouldn't even know it.  Then again, you could be here......but then again
again, who cares?

}If you don't understand this, Mark, it simply proves my point.

Ditto, Rich.

Mark "Ramble" Lippert
net.average.joe
"Toy with these knobs, they're acres of fun" - Cerwin-Vega Speaker Manual
uwvax!uwmcsd1!csd4.milw.wisc.edu!headroom

ccs026@deneb.ucdavis.edu (-=paul=-) (03/24/88)

ack!  richard changed his .signature again!

we never should have complained in the first place...
i miss the old "it's too dark to put the keys in the
ignition" one. <sniff>

-=paul=-
cause deep inside we're all the same

headroom@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (The only computer-generated user at UWM) (03/24/88)

-=paul=- writes:
}ack!  richard changed his .signature again!
}
}we never should have complained in the first place...
}i miss the old "it's too dark to put the keys in the
}ignition" one. <sniff>

Ah, yes!  -=paul=- has been hit by that wave of nostalgia......
I also miss the old .sig....who was the putz who complained about it in
the first place?

That person should be marked for deletion.

Mark "And so it goes" Lippert

apeed@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Andrew B. Peed) (03/25/88)

In article <2971@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

> Thanks for Andy, guys.

	Er, You're Welcome.

I guess.

--
  MICHIGAN TECH PC USER GROUP BBS    | Andrew B. Peed
          (906) 487-2738             | AT&T Bell Laboratories, Naperville, IL