[talk.bizarre] non-VOLUME!

kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) (03/27/88)

In article <5083@sigi.Colorado.EDU> hooker@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Devin/Bosk/Rod/Debbie/Etc...) writes:
>In article <4601@xanth.cs.odu.edu> kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
[Not three times in a row he doesn't!]

>		Alright!  That's what I like.  Kent, did you ever see my railgun post?  If not, I'll post it again for you:

Hey, I asked in some two month back posting what the problems would be in
running a cargo only railgun up the side of Moana Kea; my main concern
was whether an ogive bodied cargo container could withstand the
friction of escape-plus-enough-to-overcome-friction-losses velocity at
about 13,000 feet release height from a fairly shallow launch angle
(could/should we curve the end for a more vertical trajectory?), I'd
guess the mountain slope is 13,000 feet in 5 to 20 miles (!?!) (Any
help from the Big  Island?  I don't have a USGS map or I'd measure it
off the contours.)  My goal was a nearly continuously running launch
site under firm US control and close to the equator; that was the best
I could find.  Let me hear what you have to say.  Is there more than
this(?):

>		You place an ablative sheild around the payload - this burns off when you reach high speeds instead of the payload...
>
>	Anyway, you want to make official my self-appointed post in my .sig?  Or give me an equivalent post?  Thanks!

Someone who could do the math would be the answer to my prayers.
You've got it.  I have had long enough to forget an entire math BS,
and I never did get too far in double majoring in physics.

>			-All of us
>
>P.S.  Mnemosyne Enterprises (see Orginization: line) is a private launching facility which has yet to be fully established.
>"Yield to temptation; it might not come your way again." -Lazarus Long
>DISCLAIMER:  The opinions expressed herein are the property of Mnemosyne
>             Enterprises, and do not reflect my personal opinions.
>                 Kent for President - Let's get spaced...
>  Official Technical Consultant on Aerospace to the Presidential Candidate
>                                (OTCAPC)

I'd say this is a new pledge, unless it has previously slipped my
mind, so that makes 32 total - moving right along!

Kent, the man from xanth.