[net.sf-lovers] Silent Running and loss of oxygen

mouse@uw-beaver.arpa (04/10/85)

From: utcsri!mcgill-vision!mcgill-vision!mouse@uw-beaver.arpa (der Mouse)

> sad  if these things were gone.   Friend, it wouldn't be sad  'cause you
> need oxygen to  be sad.  You ain't got oxygen, you ain't gonna be around
> to miss the chipmunks.
> (I really expect someone to pop up at this point and say  that maybe the
> Earthlings are getting their oxygen from moss or something.

You are correct.  I believe something like  80-90% of  the O2 production
at  the moment  is due  to green stuff in the oceans.    Not  moss,  not
anything else on land, there isn't enough of it  (though for sure, every
bit will help if  things get  iffy  -- as in ORA:CLE).   But  there is a
*LOT*  of plankton  and  similar beasties  out there.   Remember,  about
three-quarters (is  that the right  ratio?) of  the Earth's  surface  is
ocean rather than land.

> Even  in the dubious possibility that a  stable  eco-system  is possible
> based on other sources of oxygen, you can't get  there from here without
> a whole lot  of disruption that  would probably kill  off  old Homo Saps
> anyway.)

Well, as I said, I don't  think it's that dubious.  But I have to agree.
Removing forests  will cause us to lose a lot of topsoil immediately and
knock great gaping holes in the ecosystem in  other ways I'm sure  -- is
there an ecologist out there who can elaborate for us?

					der Mouse
			{ihnp4,decvax,...}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse

wfi@unc.UUCP (William F. Ingogly) (04/13/85)

> Removing forests  will cause us to lose a lot of topsoil immediately and
> knock great gaping holes in the ecosystem in  other ways I'm sure  -- is
> there an ecologist out there who can elaborate for us?

I *almost* have an MS in environmental sciences (never finished my
thesis), so I think I can help out on this question. If you'd like to
read up on the science of ecology, try E. P. Odum's text (I can't
remember the title right now, unfortunately).

Loss of the world's tropical forests would have several unfortunate
consequences:

1. A large fraction of the world's animal and plant species live in
   the tropics. Elimination of the tropical ecosystems would destroy
   a potentially valuable and little-understood gene pool. How many
   life-saving drugs have we already found in the tropics, for
   example?

2. The lateritic soils found in the tropics are low in organic matter,
   and at least some of them turn rock-hard when exposed to the sun.
   Angkor Wat (sp?) was built with lateritic soils, and it's lasted
   for hundreds of years. If the overlying vegetable material is
   removed, the land beneath would make pretty good landing fields
   but would be good for little else. Loss of topsoil doesn't occur
   in the tropics, since there's little topsoil; virtually all
   nutrients and organic matter are tied up in living organisms.

3. Evapotranspiration from the rain forests has an large impact on
   the world's weather systems, since tropical trees are incredibly
   efficient water pumps. I seem to recall that a rain forest puts
   nearly as much water back into the atmosphere as an open tract
   of water of equivalent size. The result of the removal of the
   world's tropical forests would probably be the desertification
   of large tracts of land in the South American and African
   continents, which would have unknown consequences for weather in
   the northern hemisphere. There's a vicious cycle involved here:
   less vegetation leads to less rainfall leads to less vegetation...

As I recall, loss of the world's temperate forests would have some
impact but nothing like the dire consequences of the rain forests'
destruction. Of course, a large amount of the system's nutrients and
organic matter is tied up in the temperate forest's soil, so erosion
renders the land useless for agriculture. It's been a number of years
since I studied environmental sciences, so I hope others can add to
this or patch the holes in my discussion.

                                          -- Bill Ingogly

leeper@ahutb.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (04/16/85)

I have to admit that it is at least conceivable that the oceans create
enough oxygen so that the dire consequences of my first posting could
be avoided.  I bow the people who have a better background in ecology
than I do (and that is possibly quite a few people on the net.)  I find
is hard to believe that the land would be so polluted that the forests
would have to be shot into space and the oceans could keep on churning
out oxygen unscathed.  I also still contend the jump to the new
ecosystem could be pretty grim (I am responding to the net as a whole,
I think mouse agreed with me on this point).  Also, I am not sure how
secure I would feel if I lived in Kansas with all the oxygen coming
from the oceans.   :-)  I did not cry at the end of SILENT RUNNING, but
I can understand that some people did.  This is a "go for the emotions"
film.  I think as a 7-year-old I cried when I read CHARLOTTE'S WEB.
That doesn't mean that I think it plausible that spiders really do try
to save the lives of pigs.  I didn't even then.  As a sad story, SILENT
RUNNING is a matter of taste.  My objection was more about logical
flaws.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!ahutb!leeper

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (04/19/85)

> > Removing forests  will cause us to lose a lot of topsoil immediately and
> > knock great gaping holes in the ecosystem in  other ways I'm sure  -- is
> > there an ecologist out there who can elaborate for us?
>
> Loss of the world's tropical forests would have several unfortunate
> consequences:
> As I recall, loss of the world's temperate forests would have some
> impact but nothing like the dire consequences of the rain forests'
> destruction. Of course, a large amount of the system's nutrients and
> organic matter is tied up in the temperate forest's soil, so erosion
> renders the land useless for agriculture. It's been a number of years
> since I studied environmental sciences, so I hope others can add to
> this or patch the holes in my discussion.
>
>                                           -- Bill Ingogly

Oh, thank you Bill Ingogly and the other gentle-person (whose name
I unfortunately don't have...sorry, 'bout that...) for a little
sanity. I have been reading SF-LOVERS for a long time, and have
become REALLY dismayed by the numerous statements about Silent Running.
Now, whether you like the movie or not is a matter of opinion, and that's
have the fun of reading book and movie reviews...BUT....

...good grief, I  could not believe the number of people who thought (or
seemed to think, correct me if I'm wrong...) that eliminating the
world's forests is no big shakes! Yeesh!

Certainly, the oxygen supply would continue (for a while, anyway) from
algae, but that isn't the end of the story. Plants wuz here furst, and
animals depend on them...period. It would eliminate a chunk of the
food chain, increase surface erosion, send a lotta dust into the
atmosphere, disturb the nitrogen cycle, and a trillion other things
that we as mere mortals could only guess at...

Sorry if it sounds like a flame without a warning, but  seemingly flagerant
disregard for ecology flares up a strong "Watt" signal in my brain....

...there, I had my little say, now back to our regularly scheduled programme..

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

                 /
               =|--
               = \
               =
             [][][]

"...I don't know what this thing does, but it's pointing in your direction."