[talk.bizarre] Wild accusations

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (02/17/89)

Astute readers of the net will notice that this article is
cross-posted to alt.flame.  This is known in the industry
as a ``hint''.  You have been warned.  If you go any further
you give up any right to complain.  Copyright 1989 by the
free flame foundation.  All rights reserved.  I'm going
to sue you and the imminent death of the net is herein
predicted.

In article <383@twwells.uucp> bill@twwells.UUCP (T. William Wells) busts
a gut:

>: >
>: >I have the February issue in my hands and there is no such ad.
>:
>: So I goofed. It's not _Computer Languages_, it's _Computer Language_.
>
>Yep, you goofed.

Yep. I goofed.
Imminent death of USENET predicted.

>: I had no idea there was another magazine with such a close name.
>
>That's because there is no such other magazine.

Oh. Is there somebody we should *rush right out* and tell ?
Or does this just mean the imminent death of USENET predicted ?

>: Anyway, it's the Februrary issue, Vol. 6 Nr. 2
>
>Right. That's the mag that I looked through.

Phew. I so releived.
Maybe the prediction of the imminent death of USENET was premature ?

>: I xeroxed the page and brought it here, but it doesnt have a
>: dopey page number.  It's a full page ad, from the _Austin Code Works_
>	p.47
>: (acw!info@uunet.uu.net) for a WHOLE HEAP of source code, from minix
>: to PC curses to Hershey fonts.
>
>Well, not only did you get the name wrong but you have the facts
>wrong. The Austin Code Works sells source code all right, but their
>most expensive product is not for $250, it is for $500.  Neither of
>the $250 products they sell are available on the net. The PC curses
>they sell is *not* the same one as is on the net; in fact, there is an
>ad for the same product on page 75 of the same issue.

Oh yes.  Clearly I shold have a) ordered the software from ACW, b) obtained
a UUNET account to get access to the archives, c) compared the two
and got *right back to you* with the results.

At any rate.  Imminent death of USENET predicted.

But I must thank you for pointing out that got the name wrong, by forgetting
that pesky ``s''.  I'm not quite sure how I'll live with myself. But, seeing
what a fine job you are doing making sure everything on the net is
correct, and has no *MISSING LETTERS* (after all, this could cause
the imminent death of USENET).  Since you did me this big favour,
I promise I'll return the favour and follow you around the NET
and make darn sure you dont forget any ``s's'' or post any
mis-facts''.

>Before you go making public accusations, you should check your facts.

Christ, calm down before you burst something.

An ad in a magazine with a UUCP address sells about 100 (NO I DIDNT
COUNT THEM ! HORRORS! MORE MISTRUTH PERPETRATED BY THAT EVIL SEXTON!)
source code offerings with some things that had gone over the net
being listed just sorta stuck out in my mide, and fit the discussion
that was ensueing at the time. Astute readers of the net will note
that I did not pass comment on this. I have no feelings on the matter.
I was just pointing it out as a fact germain to the discussion.

No, thats not true. I just did it to piss you off.

>I'll also be sending this message to them and to the postmaster at
>your site.

Ayuck ayuck ayuck. It is to laugh. Did you send one to Melvin Belli and
the National Secutiry Agency as well?  They will no doubt be
*just* as interested.

You really have no clue, as to how this works, do you ?

>Now, shut up, go away, and hope we all forget your libel.

I know you are, but what am I ?
I know you are, but what am I ?
I know you are, but what am I ?
I know you are, but what am I ?
I know you are, but what am I ?

--
          "Hay hay, mye mye... rock an roll wil nevurr dye..."
richard@gryphon.COM                           gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

snahas@td2cad.intel.com (steven nahas) (02/24/89)

In article <12195@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>But I must thank you for pointing out that got the name wrong, by forgetting
					  ^^^
As humble as you may purport to be, Mr. Sexton, I do not believe that is
strong enough justification for omitting the first peson singular form
the text.

>that pesky ``s''.  I'm not quite sure how I'll live with myself. But, seeing
>what a fine job you are doing making sure everything on the net is
>correct, and has no *MISSING LETTERS* (after all, this could cause
>the imminent death of USENET).  Since you did me this big favour,
							   ^^^^^^
>I promise I'll return the favour and follow you around the NET
			   ^^^^^^
>and make darn sure you dont forget any ``s's'' or post any
>mis-facts''.

Really, Richard, I don't think adding a letter here and there quite
correctly compensates for your recent ommissions of the letter "s".
Of course, I stand corrected if this posting goes outside continental
US, and you are in advance receipt of my utmost sincere apologies.
>Christ, calm down before you burst something.
>
>being listed just sorta stuck out in my mide, and fit the discussion
					^^^^^
You gotta code or sumpin?

>that was ensueing at the time. Astute readers of the net will note
	  ^^^^^^^^
Yes, astute readers of the net will note...

>I know you are, but what am I ?
>I know you are, but what am I ?
>I know you are, but what am I ?
>I know you are, but what am I ?
>I know you are, but what am I ?

i'm rubber, you're glue, et fuckin cetera on you.