[talk.bizarre] Let's speak Latin

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (10/30/89)

In article <473@icdi10.UUCP> fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) writes:
>In article <21383@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>>no particular problems and neither did my Oskar or Dempsey or any of their
>>
>>By this logic there shouldn't be any unix groups either, because
>>every time I use mail or news, I have no problems.
>
>Hmm, and here I thought I wrote about my buddy Oskar (that's his name, really)
>in mail. Must have slipped into news while I was in a fishy stupor.
>
>>And the common name for Astronotus ocellarus is spelled O-S-C-A-R.
>
>I had been reading Staeck & Linke's "Amerikanische Cichliden II. Grosze
>Buntbarsche" (Tetra Verlag) in German and thought 'Oskar' was the proper name
>among us common folk.

Most of you common folk don't speak German. At least in the US.

>But if I were to refer to my fish by their Latin names, I would at least use
>the correct one: Astronotus ocellatus (not ocellarus). And I wouldn't even be
>trying to impress anyone.

No, but then you're lucky the fish you keep HAVE common names. I have to
speak Latin to mine to make them happy.

But hey, I'm glad you picked up on that mistake. These things are
important. We newgroup czars don't go for no bad Latin in our
newsgroups.

You only get a `C' though; you missed the other obvious mistake in the
article ``A bunch of stuff''. It should have been ``Fundulopanchax
Callopanchax occidentalis'', not ``Chromaphyosemion''. How you missed
an obvious mistake like that is beyond me though. You're forgiven
though; never let it be said we newgroup Czars aren't a forgiving lot.

>As for the logic about my not reading alt.aquaria because I had no problems to
>fix, well, I have an Irish Setter too and I don't subscribe to wherever talk
>about pets may be held. "Penny" is quite content with her environment as are
>her fishy friends. After all, there is a limit to how much we can with the
>'net'.

You don't read alt.aquria. This is supposed to mean something ?

--
  ``Hacker: a human being whose sense of humor has been surgically removed''
						 - Kent Paul Dolan