[talk.bizarre] Forgery Alert

billr@saab.CNA.TEK.COM (Bill Randle) (07/17/90)

The following article recently appeared in both comp.sources.games
and talk.bizarre:

> From: billr@saab.CNA.TEK.COM (Bill Randle)
> Newsgroups: comp.sources.games,talk.bizarre
> Subject: nethack 4.0
> Date: 14 Jul 90 18:11:07 GMT
> Sender: billr@saab.CNA.TEK.COM
>
> NetHack 4.0 will be ready for beta testing in a few weeks.  In
> addition to multi-player scenarios a fully POSIX compliant operating
> system will be incorporated into the release.
>
> This should bring the package up to only 60 parts.
>
> Pax

It is a clever forgery, which I don't appreciate at all.  I wouldn't
have minded as much if the poster had limited his remarks to the
talk.bizarre newsgroup (which I don't read anyway), but I strongly
object to him/her adding the Approved: header line and cross posting
to comp.sources.games.

If someone has an objection to a posting then feel free to comment
on it or send me mail but please don't post articels directly to
moderated newsgroups.

As to the recent NetHack posting, I did query for comments before I
posted and received mail from many people asking that the fully
patched source be posted and not a single objection (to my recollection).
Even though the posting was rather large, overall it will save
bandwidth on all networks as getting the original source plus all
nine sets of patches from an archive site would be a lot of bytes!
Also, it's not as if there is lots of other stuff queued up to send
out - there's only one other submission in the queue.

	-Bill Randle
	Moderator, comp.sources.games
	Tektronix, Inc.
	billr@saab.CNA.TEK.COM

P.S. In case someone gets the wrong impression, I don't mind at all
the contents of the article (i.e. poking fun at NetHack 4.0) - I
just object to the author not putting his/her name on it.