[net.sf-lovers] Trumbull

@RUTGERS.ARPA:wahrman@WHITE.SWW.Symbolics.COM (04/03/85)

From: Michael Wahrman <wahrman@WHITE.SWW.Symbolics.COM>

    From: orca!davidl@topaz.arpa (David Levine)
    Subject: Re: Brainstorm loose ends
    Date: 25 Mar 85 18:12:50 GMT

    This is a fine film about the development of a technology.  What's
    Trumbull doing today?

Trumbull has at least two projects going.  The first is a Showscan
process film for Expo 85 which is in Montreal, I believe.  The film is
part of an amusement park ride: you are part of a commercial space
shuttle flight in the near future.  As in all of these projects there
wasn't enough time or money and what gets shot by the time the money
runs out is what will be in the film.  I haven't seen any footage but
the storyboards looked like a credible "tour of outer space".  This will
be the first significant Showscan model photography so far as I know.

The other project is called Environmental Video and is the development
of a widescreen video process based on five synchronized video
projectors.  There will be at least a little computer generated imagery
created by Video Image, the graphics contractor for 2010.

I haven't heard about any Trumbull film projects.  I would guess that he
would have trouble getting a deal in Hollywood based on the response to
his previous films.

Michael Wahrman

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (04/07/85)

> > What's Trumbull doing today?
>
> Trumbull has at least two projects going.  The first is a Showscan
> process film for Expo 85 which is in Montreal, I believe.  The film is
> part of an amusement park ride: you are part of a commercial space
> shuttle flight in the near future.

Nobody else has said anything, so I suppose I'd better.
Expo 85 isn't in Montreal; it's in Tsukuba, in Japan not too far from Tokyo.
Expo 86, however, will be in Vancouver (which is at least in the same
country as Montreal).

The theme of Expo 85 is science and technology for man at home;
the theme of Expo 86 will be transportation.  Therefore it seems
more likely that the Trumbull film talked about will be shown in
Vancouver...especially since it is described as "in progress" and
Expo 85 has already opened.

Mark Brader
in the same country at Montreal, whatever they say

@RUTGERS.ARPA:York@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA (04/11/85)

From: William M. York <York@SCRC-QUABBIN.ARPA>

    Date: 7 Apr 85 04:38:20 GMT
    From: lsuc!msb@topaz.arpa (Mark Brader)

    >> What's Trumbull doing today?
    >
    > Trumbull has at least two projects going.  The first is a Showscan
    > process film for Expo 85 which is in Montreal, I believe.  The
    > film is part of an amusement park ride: you are part of a
    > commercial space shuttle flight in the near future.

    Nobody else has said anything, so I suppose I'd better.  Expo 85
    isn't in Montreal; it's in Tsukuba, in Japan not too far from Tokyo.
    Expo 86, however, will be in Vancouver (which is at least in the
    same country as Montreal).

    The theme of Expo 85 is science and technology for man at home; the
    theme of Expo 86 will be transportation.  Therefore it seems more
    likely that the Trumbull film talked about will be shown in
    Vancouver...especially since it is described as "in progress" and
    Expo 85 has already opened.

The Showscan movie in question IS being shown at Tsukuba Expo '85, in
the Toshiba corporate pavillion.  I got a chance to see it while we were
setting up our exhibit in the US pavillion.  The Showscan process is as
impressive as ever.  The film has more plot (a Japanese boy visiting an
American scientist in a research lab and touring the facility with the
scientist's robot) and less action the the original Showscan "demo"
film.  It seemed like they were worried about overstressing the
audience.  The action sequences have more visual surprises (e.g. in the
sequence taken from the front bumper of a car travelling at high speed
down narrow roads, other cars keep popping out of intersections and
there are many near misses), but each sequence is interrupted frequently
by shots of the boy and robot.  This keeps the sequences down to about 5
seconds each and the visceral reaction from the VERY realistic visual
effects is not allowed to build.  Still a pretty good show...

acsgjjp@sunybcs.UUCP (Jim Poltrone) (04/20/85)

> The Showscan movie in question IS being shown at Tsukuba Expo '85, in
> the Toshiba corporate pavillion.  I got a chance to see it while we were
> setting up our exhibit in the US pavillion.  The Showscan process is as
> impressive as ever.

Does anyone know the exact specification of Showscan?  I heard that it
involves filming and projecting the film at twice the normal speed, for
a greater impact on the audience, but I'm not absolutely sure.

Please mail me any more info you might have; if there is a demand I will
summarize and post at a later date.

(BTW, if anyone does happen to go to Tsukuba, check out the Computer Music
booth, set up by Lejaren Hiller, Charles Ames, Robert Franki, and Robert
Coggeshall (all from SUNY/Buffalo).  More on this later in net.music.synth.)
--
   "Now we're gonna see what you know in the way of languages and packages.
    How good are you at SPSS?  Are you proficient in C?  How's your FORTRAN?