[talk.bizarre] Amiga UNIX announcement

 jeenglis@alcor.usc.edu (English Guy) writes:

> carasso@aludra.usc.edu (Roger RDC Carasso)

> shows his complete ignorance of the hardware end of things:

>> calkin@amix.commodore.com (Paul Calkin) writes:

>>> West Chester, Pennsylvania - January 21, 1991 - Commodore Business
>>> Machines, Inc., announced today the availability of the Amiga
>>> 3000UX, a UNIX workstation implementing the new AT&T UNIX System V
>>> Release 4.

>>  HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! HEE HEE!

> Don't let Kent hear you say that.

Much too late. I've been following the Amiga 3000UX development like a
hawk. It's a really nice Unix; the folks developing it have been doing
their development _under_ it for over a year now. Word is, SysVr4
incorporates "the best" of BSD 4.3 integrated with AT&T and SunOS
versions of Unix. After a long evaluation and comparision the
Engineering Department at Virginia Tech made the whole incoming freshman
class beta testers for this machine; said it blew the '386 and Mac
products out of the water on bang/$; even before there was a release
vesion.  The official release was at Uniforum, a couple of weeks back.

>>> The Amiga provides the power of a Motorola processor to drive UNIX SVR4
>>                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>                                        8086?

> No, Intel makes those. Where Bleah works. I would guess it's a 68020
> or a 68030.

68030, the high end machine is 25 MhZ clock, 80 nanosecond, 32 bit wide
bus memory, up to 18 Mbyte on the motherboard.  The software includes
Gnu Emacs, GNU C, X Windows R11, lots of other goodies.  Actually runs
windowing X at a reasonably fast rate, unlike anything else available.

>> Roger "next they'll be porting unix to Timex-Sinclair 1000's..."

> alcor.usc.edu: mach
> mc68020
> alcor.usc.edu: ^D

> Now I realize that senescent crippled manic-depressive Amiga users are
> one of the few segments of the population which you haven't yet pissed
> off, Rog, but you're going to need to do a little more research before
> you try this one.

Not a problem; the only thing Roger says that I take half seriously is
that he's horny all the time.

By the way, the student discount version of this box can be had for
$4K - $6K depending upon goodies.

If I were living within my income, I'd spend some of what I'm living on
instead for one of these toys.

Kent, the man from xanth.