[talk.bizarre] Pagemaker Scam

rabbit@buster2.Michigan.COM (Dr. Roger Rabbit) (05/04/91)

In article <11767@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> ata@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Don Dodson) writes:
^^In article <3629@borg.cs.unc.edu> kimy@strauss.cs.unc.edu (Yong-Mi Kim) writes:
^^>So in two years, I will be slim and trim and have straight teeth.
^^>"Improves your marketability," quoth my younger brother.
^^
^^This is not a sex for money exchange.
^^
^^And then again...
^^

Nope. There are certain things that you can't do with braces on. It inflicts
too much pain. But, hey - if you're into that kind of thing...

By the way, there is a new scam out: Forcing people to buy Windows 3.0
in order to use certain software. I went into my local Egghead to get
Pagemaker 4.0 and they guy says, "you do have Windows 3.0, don't you?"
I said "no - why?" He replied, "Well, you need it to run PageMaker".
Then the guy tries to sell me a mouse saying, "You'll need that too".

I say "shove it - I'll stick with PFS: FP 1.0" Hey, it ain't pretty, but
it works. Windows sucks, and they know it so they try to force it down
our throats anyways. Give me X any day!! Maybe when PageMaker for XENIX/
Sun/OS comes out next month, I'll get that instead.

--
>>> BAN: Nuclear Power, US Intervention in The Gulf, Toxic Waste,
>>> rdc, carasso, Trash Incinerators, Nuclear Weapons, Poverty,
>>> Racism, Kent Paul Dolan, Specieism, etc... Write: Rabbits for a Better
>>> Hutch, Roscommon, MI 48653 E-MAIL: rabbit@Buster.Michigan.COM

) (05/06/91)

In article <9300@buster2.Michigan.COM>, rabbit@buster2.Michigan.COM (Dr. Roger Rabbit) writes:
> By the way, there is a new scam out: Forcing people to buy Windows 3.0
> in order to use certain software. I went into my local Egghead to get
> Pagemaker 4.0 and they guy says, "you do have Windows 3.0, don't you?"
> I said "no - why?" He replied, "Well, you need it to run PageMaker".
> Then the guy tries to sell me a mouse saying, "You'll need that too".
Why is your complaint solely against PageMaker 4.0?  I'm waiting for you to
complain against Excel.  Without Windows 3.0, how else can Aldus make the PC
version look a little like their MAC version?  The "scam", as you call it, has
been in existence since Windows 3.0 came out.  Think about it.  How else can
you run Word for Windows, WordPerfect for Windows and Crosstalk for Windows?

> I say "shove it - I'll stick with PFS: FP 1.0" Hey, it ain't pretty, but
> it works. Windows sucks, and they know it so they try to force it down
> our throats anyways. Give me X any day!! Maybe when PageMaker for XENIX/
> Sun/OS comes out next month, I'll get that instead.
Who is forcing you to buy Windows?  Aldus?  Microsoft?  Considering a lot of
people have bought it, they don't need to force it down your throat.  Your X
costs about $500 for the PC as I was told.  Compare that to Window's cost of
$89.

| Santanu Sircar                               BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet |
| University of Massachusetts/Amherst          INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu |