[talk.origins] Dead Brain Weight - reply to 'Stuart' 24 Jun

arndt@lymph.dec.com (09/17/86)

It has taken me a few minutes to stop laughing so that I can see the screen
and type again.  'Stuart' (I am going over old files) on 24 Jun posted a
piece to the effect that he 'silenced' "born-again fundy types" with his
study of autopsy reports and the discovery that brain weights in humans have
been going up and this is 'proof' of evolution taking place before our eyes.

Stuart, if this is serious - if it's not it's a great gag - you'd better place
your head on a scale for the next few mornings in a row and tie some sand bags
to your pants before you float off into space.  No doubt the bgfts were
'silenced' by shock!

Flash!  Hands, arms, feet and torsos have also been increasing in weight!!!
Golly, look at all that proof of evolution!  But what are we evolving into??
Goodyear Blimps??

It does seem that, especially among some 'scientists' (who hold to the religious
form of evolutionism) there is movement toward certain barnyard animals that go
'hee haw'.

Which brings to mind the claim of certain Claddists and others that there is
really not a single FACT that supports the Theory of Evolution.  I find that
somewhat of an amazing thing to say.  So how about it.  Can someone give a
SINGLE fact in support of the Theory of Evolution????

Remember, "vertibrates evolved from invertibrates", and "thumbs evolved to
make it easier to handle toilet paper" are tautologies, not 'facts'.

Remember the 'creationists' silly listing of points that seemed to go on and
on forever?  Let's hear it from the Evolutionists!!

Go ahead.  Make my day.

Regards,

Ken Arndt

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (09/18/86)

In article <5387@decwrl.DEC.COM> arndt@lymph.dec.com writes:
> It has taken me a few minutes to stop laughing so that I can see the screen
> and type again.  'Stuart' (I am going over old files) on 24 Jun posted a
> piece to the effect that he 'silenced' "born-again fundy types" with his
> study of autopsy reports and the discovery that brain weights in humans have
> been going up and this is 'proof' of evolution taking place before our eyes.

I recall several competent rebuttals of this claim by non-creationists.
You're quite justified in making fun of it: but it would be unfair to consider
this a widely held evolutionary idea.

> Which brings to mind the claim of certain Claddists and others that there is
> really not a single FACT that supports the Theory of Evolution.

By Claddists do you mean people like yourself with armor-clad brains?

Oh, you must be misquoting the Pattern Cladists, perhaps specifically Norman
Platnick at the American Museum of Natural History.  They claim that they
need no evolutionary hypothesis to make a cladistic classification.  Most
cladists that I know (at Harvard and Cornell) disagree on the basis that
the evolutionary hypothesis underlies character interpretation.

> I find that somewhat of an amazing thing to say.  So how about it.  Can
> someone give a SINGLE fact in support of the Theory of Evolution????

Depends on how you define "support".  Can you name a single fact in support
of the theory of universal gravitation?  Motion of planets, falling objects,
etc. are consistent with the theory: is that good enough "support"?  Or do
we need something that rules out little invisible angels first?

There are multitudes of facts that support evolution in terms of being
consistent with it, and frequently inconsistent or not necessary to other
theories.  For example, there is the fact of branching patterns of similarity,
which is required by evolution, but is unnecessary to special creation (where
a mosaic pattern or no pattern would do just as well.)  The branching patterns
of similarity describe respiration, structure, and a host of other features.
Those patterns are why we're able to make classifications of organisms.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

jiml@cavell.UUCP (Jim Laycock) (09/19/86)

In article <5387@decwrl.DEC.COM> arndt@lymph.dec.com writes:
>Can someone give a
>SINGLE fact in support of the Theory of Evolution????
>
>Remember, "vertibrates evolved from invertibrates", and "thumbs evolved to
>make it easier to handle toilet paper" are tautologies, not 'facts'.
>
>Remember the 'creationists' silly listing of points that seemed to go on and
>on forever?  Let's hear it from the Evolutionists!!
>
>Go ahead.  Make my day.
>Ken Arndt

There is a great deal of corroborative evidence for the Theory of Evolution--
evidence that one would have great trouble explaining in other models of how
we came to be here.

I'm sure you've heard the phrase "ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny."  What
it means is that fetal development (for the individual) mimics what we believe
to be the evolutionary development (of the species).  At early stages in the
womb, the human fetus has gills, a tailbone, and other structures that our
evolutionary forebears possessed.  Even as adults, humans possess many
vestigal features.  The appendix and the ear-wiggling muscle (some people
have it, others don't) are two examples of out-moded structures in humans.
Can you suggest in non-evolutionary terms, Ken, why such structures might
be present?

Evolutionary adaptation can be clearly seen in organisms with much shorter
life-spans.  We are constantly changing our medicines in response to changing
bacterial and viral strains.  A certain species of bird has turned from
white to grey to survive in industrial cities.  The domestication of dogs
and horses over the past few centuries attests to a human influence over
species adaptation, but the changes would just as surely take place under
natural conditions.  But I babble.  Chow.
--
  Jim Laycock
  decvax!bellcore!ulysses!mhuxr!mhuxn!ihnp4!alberta!cavell!jiml

  Philosophy major, University of Alberta (5th year)

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (09/19/86)

[]
In article <5387@decwrl.DEC.COM> arndt@lymph.dec.com writes:
>... Can someone give a
>SINGLE fact in support of the Theory of Evolution????

This reminds me of an *old* joke: the guy who wanted to sell his
house, and carried a brick around as a sample.

Biologists' ideas about evolution are supported by lots and lots and
lots of facts.  It takes a lot of facts to support a big, complex,
audacious idea.

If you want to come to grips with the ideas, as they were developed
over a period of 100 years or so, I recommend Ernest Mayr's _The
Growth of Biological Thought_.  (Or very similar title. Very recent
book.)  900-page books from Harvard University's Belknap Press are
not my idea of recreational reading; but this one managed to usurp
the place of detective stories and science fiction until I finished
it.

Other books by Mayr, and by Gaylord Simpson, also explain what
biologists think about evolution.

>Remember, "vertibrates evolved from invertibrates", and "thumbs evolved to
>make it easier to handle toilet paper" are tautologies, not 'facts'.

The statement that vertebrates evolved from invertebrates entails
that certain invertebrate organisms were ancestors of you and me.
That's not a tautology, but a substantive statement.  So substantive,
in fact, that I can readily imagine a person to whom it would be
unpalatable.  Such a person would, however, assert that it was
"untrue", not that it was "tautologous".

As for thumbs, they evolved to make it easier for small mammals to
hold on to tree branches.  Is this a tautology? No.  It is an
assertion of a final cause, operating in the context of a population
of organisms over a long time (many generations).  As E. Gilson
pointed out in his book about Darwin (by the way, Ken, thanks for
recommending it) final causes make perfectly good sense when one is
talking about individual organisms.  Genetics provides an
intelligible way for final causes to operate on individual organisms.
"Natural selection" is Darwin's idea of an intelligible way for final
causes to operate on species.
Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ...!hjuxa!petsd!cjh

stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) (09/21/86)

In article <5387@decwrl.DEC.COM>, arndt@lymph.dec.com writes:

> and type again.  'Stuart' (I am going over old files) on 24 Jun posted a

My company was not on the net until 15 Jul.  It wasn't this 'Stuart'.
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!{vrdxhq|dgis}!BMS-AT!stuart>