[talk.origins] Virgin births

MIQ@PSUVMA.BITNET (12/16/86)

In article <889@husc6.UUCP>, gallagher@husc4.harvard.edu (paul gallagher)
 says:

>However, although males need females, females don't neccessarily need
>males.  Under laboratory conditions, the ovum of the female of some species
>can be artificially induced to begin development, without need of sperm.
>I read one author who, noting that many women have given birth without
>ever apparently having had sex, thinks that virgin birth is possible in
>humans.

     I've heard about these experiments too.  The most advanced animal
its worked with so far (as far as I know) is rabbits.  The stimulation
took the form of placing the female in water & applying a small electric
current.

     I don't think it would explain "virgin births" in humans, though.
I agree with the poster who suggested that the "apparently" virgin women
probably weren't so.

     One way to test this would be via the sex of the baby.  If the baby
were male (thus having a Y-chromosome), then it's pretty certain that the
mother was impregnated in the standard manner.  A female baby would leave
the question open.

-------
                                     ---------------------------
James D. Maloy                       |   THIS SPACE FOR RENT   |
The Pennsylvania State University    |      Call 555-2317      |
                                     ---------------------------
Bitnet: MIQ@PSUECL
UUCP  : {akgua,allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!psuvax1!psuvma.bitnet!miq

     "I am pleased to see we have differences.  May we together become
greater than the sum of both of us."
                                           -- Surak of Vulcan

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) (12/18/86)

In article <9088MIQ@PSUVMA>, MIQ@PSUVMA.BITNET writes:

>      I don't think it would explain "virgin births" in humans, though.
> I agree with the poster who suggested that the "apparently" virgin women
> probably weren't so.

I did read about one woman who was a virgin and got pregnant (and I don't
mean Mary).  She was gay and had sex with her bi-sexual lover who had just
had intercourse with a male.  Boy was she surprised!