[talk.origins] question about animal hybridization

lew@ihlpa.UUCP (03/20/87)

In a discussion about possible mechanisms of speciation, the question
of genetic compatibility as a criterion for typological classification
came up.  That is, animals which when cross-bred produced viable, fertile
offspring might be classified together.  ( I know this is not the definition
of species !)

I asserted that this criterion doesn't generate an equivalence relation,
since there might be populations A, B, and C, such that A is compatible
( by the above criterion ) with B, B is compatible with C, but A is not
compatible with C.

My question is, is there an example of this intransitivity among known
populations of animals? ( N.B. animals, not plants! )

I found some interesting information in Enc. Brit. about trout hybrids
and a few other things, but nothing that specifically qualified as a
realization of my hypothetical example.

	Lew Mammel, Jr.

dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.UUCP (03/20/87)

Lew Mammel, Jr. asks,

> My question is, is there an example of this intransitivity among
> known populations of animals? ( N.B. animals, not plants! )

I'm not sure about the biological angle (intergroup fertility), but
I'm pretty sure that there is at least one known case involving the
standard definition of species (intergroup interbreeding).  There is a
"ring" of species of arctic birds (gulls, I believe) that exhibits
this sort of behavior.  As I recall, the species are believed to have
diverged from one parent stock, by progressive migration in an
eastwards direction over a fairly long period of time.  Adjacent
groups can (and do?) interbreed, with one exception.  If you go to the
point at which the circle "wraps around" to the point at which it
started, you'll find that the species that "wrapped around" has
diverged sufficiently from the original variety (which still populates
that area) that the two do not (cannot?) interbreed viably.

Sorry I don't remember the details on this... I'll see if I can dig
them up sometime soon.

bill@ut-ngp.UUCP (03/21/87)

In article <10980@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Dave Platt) writes:
>Lew Mammel, Jr. asks,
>
>> My question is, is there an example of this intransitivity among
>> known populations of animals? ( N.B. animals, not plants! )
>
>I'm not sure about the biological angle (intergroup fertility), but
>I'm pretty sure that there is at least one known case involving the
>standard definition of species (intergroup interbreeding).  There is a
>"ring" of species of arctic birds (gulls, I believe) that exhibits
>this sort of behavior.

See Raup, _Darwinism Defended_, p. 138. He references an article
by M. Ridley, "Who Doubts Evolution?", which appeared in _New Scientist_,
90, 830-832 (1981).

Bill Jefferys

[pnews fodder]
[pnews fodder]
[pnews fodder]
[pnews fodder]
[pnews fodder]
[pnews fodder]
[pnews fodder]
[pnews fodder]
[pnews fodder]
[pnews fodder]
[pnews fodder]

g-rh@cca.UUCP (03/21/87)

]
] I asserted that this criterion doesn't generate an equivalence relation,
] since there might be populations A, B, and C, such that A is compatible
] ( by the above criterion ) with B, B is compatible with C, but A is not
] compatible with C.
]
] My question is, is there an example of this intransitivity among known
] populations of animals? ( N.B. animals, not plants! )
]
	You are talking about clines (a chain of sub species).  a specific
example is the herring gull cline consisting of

(1) The British lesser black-backed gull, Larus fuscus graellsii,
(2) Scandanavian lesser black=backed gull, Larus fuscus fuscu,
(3) Siberian vega gull, Larus argentatus vegae,
(4) American herring gull, Larus argentatus smithsonianus,
(5) British herring gull, Larus argentatus argentatus

1 can interbreed with 2, 2 with 3, and so on, but 5 and 1 cannot
interbreed.  The difference is one of size -- the British herring
gull is twice as big as the lesser black-backed gull.

--

Richard Harter, SMDS Inc. [Disclaimers not permitted by company policy.]

howard@cpocd2.UUCP (03/24/87)

In article <3353@ihlpa.ATT.COM> lew@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Lew Mammel, Jr.) writes:
>In a discussion about possible mechanisms of speciation, the question
>of genetic compatibility as a criterion for typological classification
>came up.  That is, animals which when cross-bred produced viable, fertile
>offspring might be classified together.
>
>I asserted that this criterion doesn't generate an equivalence relation,
>since there might be populations A, B, and C, such that A is compatible
>( by the above criterion ) with B, B is compatible with C, but A is not
>compatible with C.
>
>My question is, is there an example of this intransitivity among known
>populations of animals? ( N.B. animals, not plants! )

Yes.  The classic example is frogs in the Appalachians.  Northern frogs
can interbreed with their nearest neighbors, who can interbreed with
those a little farther south, ... and so on.  But the northernmost and
southernmost frogs cannot interbreed.  I first heard of this in the late
60's, but I don't have a reference.

Note that there may be gender-dependence as well.  It is possible that
A males could breed with B females, but B males can't breed with A females.
(No I don't have an example.)
--

	Howard A. Landman
	...!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!howard

gagen@bgsuvax.UUCP (03/25/87)

In article <3353@ihlpa.ATT.COM>, lew@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Lew Mammel, Jr.) writes:

> I asserted that this criterion doesn't generate an equivalence relation,
> since there might be populations A, B, and C, such that A is compatible
> ( by the above criterion ) with B, B is compatible with C, but A is not
> compatible with C.
>
> My question is, is there an example of this intransitivity among known
> populations of animals? ( N.B. animals, not plants! )

Yes.  There are several.  There is at least one group of frogs.
There is a group of snakes.  I will see if I can locate the articles.

Kathi Gagen
Dept. of Biological Sciences
Bowling Green State Univ.
Bowling Green Ohio  43402