[talk.origins] Flat vs Round Earth

brian@vaxwaller.UUCP (Dr. Sigmund Von Yes @ Optics Lab and Weekend Gynecology Clinic and Grill) (03/03/88)

In article <616@crcmar.crc.uucp>, steve@crcmar.crc.uucp (Steve Ardron) writes:

>   I came into this discussion late, but have the flat-earthers said anything
> in support of their cause yet that is at all reasonable? So far, I've seen
> large amounts of evidence pro-round earth, that is admittedly not
> absolutely conclusive if you are incredibly paranoid, cynical and suspicious.

Pre-requisite for belief in a flat Earth.

> This has been replied to by flat-earthers poking very small holes in their
> logic and large amounts of sophistry. Has there been any posting from a
> flat-earther saying why they think the Earth is flat?

No.

> I would be interested in seeing an arguement that even remotely
> approximates the consistancy of conventional theories.

So would the rest of the group.

>   I can't blame people for getting upset from what I've seen here so far. It
> looks like a bunch of pseudo-intellectuals baiting everybody who will fall
> for it (like me :-).

It would be more appropriate to describe the pro-flatters as pseudo-educated.

There's a saying, "a little bit of learning is dangerous".

That's all they have.  A little bit.

I am also awaiting (but not expecting) some evidence which proves the
Earth flat while disproving it's roundness.  What has been generally presented
are half-observations and measurements tailored to fit the theory.

The standard response of a flat-earther to a direct question is to
question a round-earth measurement or observation.

We get a few random statements, i.e. "the Earth is a disc with the center at
one of the poles", "the photographs taken from space are fake", "photographs
have never been taken from space.  It's an international conspiracy",
"Your mother is flat-chested", etc.

Rarely or never are there any statements made that can be evaluated through
scientific processes.  Actually, the flat-earthers don't believe in the
scientific process, so they don't have to dignify the disproof of their
theoretical foundations.

There. That should be enough text for the netnews poster.

Well, how about it, flatsies?  Got any info, or just a lot of lip-service?

This subject has been flat for months.

In the beginning, there was nothing, ... but it was a FLAT nothing.

I've got another theory.  All flat-earthers have flat heads.

I have never seen one, so it must be true.

Dr. Sigmund Von Yes

PhD, MS, BS, TGIF, Fur Pumping

edk@gryphon.CTS.COM (Ed Kaulakis) (03/08/88)

In article <1534@vaxwaller.UUCP>, brian@vaxwaller.UUCP (Dr. Sigmund Von Yes @ Optics Lab and Weekend Gynecology Clinic and Grill) writes:
> In article <616@crcmar.crc.uucp>, steve@crcmar.crc.uucp (Steve Ardron) writes:
> It would be more appropriate to describe the pro-flatters as pseudo-educated.
>
> There's a saying, "a little bit of learning is dangerous".
>
> That's all they have.  A little bit.

	A little learning  is a dangerous thing,
	Drink deep, or else taste not the Pierian spring
	Alexander Pope, An essay on Man

Heh heh. What a delightfully witty thing for you to have misquoted, Brian.
Really lends point to your comments about psuedo-education, doesn't it?

Cheers,
	Ed
.

edk@gryphon.CTS.COM (Ed Kaulakis) (03/08/88)

	What the flat-earthers know is that the vast majority of those
who profess the scientific world-view don't know what it is. Flat-earthers
suck these poor dweebs in to the amusement of all. Huzzah I say!

Cheers
	Ed

brian@vaxwaller.UUCP (brian) (03/11/88)

In article <2803@gryphon.CTS.COM>, edk@gryphon.CTS.COM (Ed Kaulakis) writes:
> In article <1534@vaxwaller.UUCP>, (Dr. Sigmund Von Yes) writes:

> > There's a saying, "a little bit of learning is dangerous".

> > That's all they have.  A little bit.

> 	A little learning  is a dangerous thing,
> 	Drink deep, or else taste not the Pierian spring
> 	Alexander Pope, An essay on Man

> Heh heh. What a delightfully witty thing for you to have misquoted, Brian.
> Really lends point to your comments about psuedo-education, doesn't it?

It's also interesting that this is the only point of my posting you were able
find fault in.  I had asked if the flat-Earthers were capable of presenting
documentable evidence supporting their position, rather than attacking
insignificant statements made by the round-Earthers.  I guess you aren't.

Also, I never claimed it was a quote, you did.  I also didn't claim to
be educated in liberal arts, English lit., philosophy, etc.
So a little slip like that doesn't really bother me.

> Cheers,
>  	Ed
> .

So do you guys have any useful data regarding this plate we exist on?

Have a nice day.

Disclaimer:

You can believe whatever you want.

Anything can be proven if enough facts are ignored.

.signature should be delivered in a week.